Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA rebuidt MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
I took apart Jone Jenz's bad MPS to find out why a AA rebuilt MPS would go bad in a short time (one year). It didn't hold any vacuum at all.

Hmmm, this diaphram repair/replacement is pretty suspect.

I will play with this to see if I can get it to work at all and how it compares to a good known MPS.

Geoff
JeffBowlsby
How is the center stop attached to the diaphragm Geoff? It looks like solder or epoxy?
Bleyseng
Both solder and epoxy. The diaphram is brass instead of copper. Handmade too.

Geoff
Qarl
Looks like it is made from a soup can lid
JeffBowlsby
I wonder why it lost vacuum? It would seem relatively simple to just reseal the thing up so that the vacuum was tight. I observe that the diaphrgm shown is dry and clean of any sealant for and airtight seal. Maybe thats the repair for this one?

Interesting to hear that AA is rebuilding these...We had thought that only Bret Instruments in Santa Ana was doing them.

I am R&D-ing a copper replacement diaphragm as we speak. I need to figure how to get the center stop fitting off of the original diaphragm and then onto the new diaphragm, it should be easy after that. No luck so far...but I'm not done yet... wink.gif
Bleyseng
lol, you kill me sometimes Karl.

Geoff laugh.gif
Bleyseng
Yes Jeff, I think that is why this one leaked as there is no sealant. I will mount it in another MPS and give it a try. It was also missing the 2.0l spacer.
Maybe I should try to make one out of a soup can lid too?
Geoff
Qarl
I present to you, the People's Exhibit A

Geoff, I wasn't trying to be funny... .first thing I thought was a lid from a can...
jones
So now I see the demon that lurked inside my engine bay! Thanks for the pics.
Bleyseng
Demon, ha! You had the typical AA horror story to get that POS too!

Oh, Karl they pleat the soup can lids for strength just like the MPS diaphram

Geoff
Brad Roberts
Geoff, we still need to chat about supplying you with cores.

B
mike_the_man
New diaphragms would be the shiznit!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.