Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unique Porsche engine takes Daytona 24
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
A new engine tuner, Ayton Performance, operated by Ethan Bregman, has pulled off a novel win for the Action Express Racing team at the Rolex 24 Hour this weekend. It's in the Grand Am prototype category running a 5.0L V8 Cayenne n/a engine. Almost stock except for the usual race hardware, a cool hand fabricated intake plenum, and the removal of the variable cams (not allowed in this spec).
The carbon fibre engine and cam covers really make you look twice...is this really an SUV motor ? Major props to Ethan with his flawless debut (and overall win) with another Porsche Daytona victory.
That's one very cool tupperware crate for hauling that engine around biggrin.gif
Marty

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Wow. Unheardof. blink.gif
Jake Raby
I love it when someone uses common sense to beat the manufacturer at their own game... If they didn't have their heads up their asses with the 911 they could be killing everyone with the Cayman.
rick 918-S
drooley.gif Bling
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 31 2010, 07:59 PM) *

I love it when someone uses common sense to beat the manufacturer at their own game... If they didn't have their heads up their asses with the 911 they could be killing everyone with the Cayman.

According to an article in "Race Engine Tech", Ethan left his job at Porsche MotorsportNA in order to launch his new engine building venture. He is operating a 3 man shop right now but I bet he will be hiring a bunch more... with his new Daytona bragging rights !
Marty
bcaschera
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jan 31 2010, 07:59 PM) *

Your in the process of helping to achieve this "killing" ... RIGHT ??? shades.gif
6freak

Only thing Porsche is the block the rest is all costum made....Porsche didnt like the fact that it wasnt a flat six ,,but they couldnt stop them.......Congrats to the under dog
Cayman V8??

They need something to catch the Mazda. Reliability looks like the only advantage the Flat 6 has left?

Weren't all 3 DP cars running the V8??
Jake Raby
In the 911 the engine is in the wrong place for the cars to go any faster..

The Cayman is one hell of a platform!
URY914
smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
Just wait till Porsche spanks their ass for using the name 'Porsche" on their car without the proper permission...
6freak
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Feb 1 2010, 05:08 AM) *

Cayman V8??

They need something to catch the Mazda. Reliability looks like the only advantage the Flat 6 has left?

ACTION EXPRESS D.P.was the only car running the so called Porsche V8..think maybe some other teams will next year?? ,,they had everything from Porsche OK `d ....If i remember right
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Feb 1 2010, 08:08 AM) *

It has heritage. I am not even sure that you can say it has reliability any more. No more so then any other car.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2010, 10:05 PM) *

drooley.gif Bling

Sounds like the Alien needs a new warp drive..... poke.gif stirthepot.gif
BK911
Thanks for the spoiler in the title. Saved me from having to watch the race.
Rav914
edited: unnecessary criticism (need another cup of coffee).
zymurgist
ouch
Rleog
Action Express is affiliated with Brumos. You can bet that Porsche has their eye on what they're doing.

It's just a matter of time before the Audi R8 joins AMLS. Ferrari's 430 platform gets improved every year. It's likely that Ferrari, Corvette, and BMW will be quicker than Porsche at Sebring this year. When will someone start developing the Cayman?
carr914
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 1 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Cayman V8??

ACTION EXPRESS D.P.was the only car running the so called Porsche V8..

Incorrect, The Spirit of Daytona ran that engine all of last year,& ran it @ Daytona this year. There was ALWAYS a cover over the Brumos motor and it sounded like, but better than the other 2. Alwin Springer was right there.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 1 2010, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2010, 10:05 PM) *

drooley.gif Bling

Sounds like the Alien needs a new warp drive..... poke.gif stirthepot.gif

agree.gif assimilate.gif
bandjoey
Another one...
6freak
I bag pardon ...I thought there was only one car with the Porsche V8
Vysoc
Jake is right.......we all know that Porsche is reluctant to allow the more balanced and quicker Cayman (If the 911 and Cayman had equal powerplants) to get the same power as the 911GT3 RSR. Can you imagine the car that the boys from Weissach would come up with being able to work on the Cayman? The Ferrari would have no chance, I am amazed that the GT3 RSR does as well against the Ferrari's (Thanks to an unbelievable Flying Lizard Team & Drivers). Also the comments from the drivers about how much easier it is to drive the mid engined platform. At some point I wish they would give in and build a monster Cayman and enjoy the fruits of a fine mid engined design. I own a 911 and a 914 the 911 will still live on.

Jake is right!

Vysoc driving.gif
tat2dphreak
Jake is right!

agree.gif when the cayman was released it was topping the stock 911 in track times. they beefed up the 911 some since but the platform of the cayman just seems "better"

maybe they should consider it a difference in marketing... those that can afford the 911 will still go for the 911, but the driving enthusiast sees through the BS and knows the cayman is the way to go.... they should put a 500hp plant in each one, but make the 911 more targeted to the elite sports luxury crowd.
tornik550
I have a Cayenne Turbo. It is an awesome car. The Cayenne V8 is a great engine.

I have been wondering what my 914 would be like with the cayenne turbo engine (mine is 550 hp) biggrin.gif .

Just a little off topic rant about Cayennes. I have always loved Porsches ever since I was a kid. My favorite is the 914. Once I made a little money- I purchased a 914. A few months later I needed a daily driver so I purchased a 911. When the cayennes came out, I thought it was the dumbest thing on earth. I thought that until my wife and I decided to have a kid. I needed a family car, I love Porsches so it just made sense to buy a Cayenne. My personal opinion is that Porsches are supposed to be fast so a Cayenne Turbo (or Turbo S) is the only way to go. Just my little rant in defense of Cayennes (I realize this is probably the wrong thread for this).
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 1 2010, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 1 2010, 10:16 AM) *

Cayman V8??

ACTION EXPRESS D.P.was the only car running the so called Porsche V8..

Incorrect, The Spirit of Daytona ran that engine all of last year,& ran it @ Daytona this year. There was ALWAYS a cover over the Brumos motor and it sounded like, but better than the other 2. Alwin Springer was right there.

T.C.

QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 2 2010, 12:34 PM) *

I bag pardon ...I thought there was only one car with the Porsche V8

Again 2 Ran @ Daytona - Action Express & Spirit of Daytona (Menard sponsored)

Brumos car will have the V-8. Brumos (Michael Coluici Racing) is running both the Brumos.com & the Action Express cars.

Click to view attachment
zymurgist
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 2 2010, 04:07 PM) *

maybe they should consider it a difference in marketing... those that can afford the 911 will still go for the 911, but the driving enthusiast sees through the BS and knows the cayman is the way to go.... they should put a 500hp plant in each one, but make the 911 more targeted to the elite sports luxury crowd.

Perhaps a wine rack, and a refrigerator for the cheese would be in order.

There is precedent for this... the C5 Corvette coupe was designed specifically to carry 2 golf bags in the rear hatch area.
tat2dphreak
BMW and Mercedes do it as well. and at the current prices, people aren't choosing Ferrari or 911 anymore. the Ferrari is almost double the 911 costs. I'm not saying the 911 can't compete with these cars anymore, but I think they just need to realize they are sitting in a precarious position, costing 2x corvettes, or 1/2 Ferrari/lambo

their competition at the current price point is more like the Aston martin vantage, audi R8, BMW M6, Masarati, a Mercedes AMG type I can't think of the name of right now...

point is, those cars are still performing in the same group, but are mostly more luxurious too. just my thought. and I don't think it's as sacrilegious as a 4 door Porsche smile.gif sorry, the panamera has grown on me some, but not that much
URY914
Here is a RX8. Note the tube frame....

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Bregman initially focused his Cayenne engine development on the Lozano Bros. Grand-Am Prototype. With the Pontiac V8 engine dropping out of sight, it only seems logical that he would build these spec series P engines and offer them up to anyone wanting to run this V8. I'm sure we will see more entries with this 5.0L in the prototype series.
Marty
rick 918-S
Hey TC do you happen to know what type of gear box they were running?
carr914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2010, 01:07 AM) *

Hey TC do you happen to know what type of gear box they were running?

X-Tracs Box with Emco Gears
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.