Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel top...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ME733
...Is there a Steel Top available for the 914?...help, appreciated.
914Sixer
A few years back George H (AA) put some pictures of the steel roof they put on a 914 GT clone. I saved them to a disc. Let me see if I can find them.
bcheney
Dan Roots, a member on this site is the only person I have seen convert a 914 to a steel roof. Copy and paste this into your browser:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76305
mepstein
Eric Shea might have some pics of GT's with steel reinforcements for the roof. I think they even bolt on and off. Looks like a alternative to complex roof fabrication.
Krieger
Chris at Tangerine Racing had mentioned something as well.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Feb 1 2010, 10:36 AM) *

Chris at Tangerine Racing had mentioned something as well.

We've done two 916 replica roofs so far. smile.gif
rick 918-S
Short answer, no. Long answer, there are guys on the site that not only have built and installed them but could be hired to custom build one for you. But there is no "kit."
Mike Bellis
Leave it outside, someone will steal it poke.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2010, 09:11 PM) *

...But there is no "kit."

I could make a kit but it would "cost more than you paid for your 914." doh! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 1 2010, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2010, 09:11 PM) *

...But there is no "kit."

I could make a kit but it would "cost more than you paid for your 914." doh! biggrin.gif

agree.gif They don't call it body "work" for nuttin! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2010, 10:11 AM) *

Eric Shea might have some pics of GT's with steel reinforcements for the roof. I think they even bolt on and off. Looks like a alternative to complex roof fabrication.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2010, 07:11 AM) *

I'm not Eric, but this is the real deal:

jasons
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 1 2010, 10:44 PM) *

WOW! The metal work on that car is amazing.
atsealevel914
There was a complete step by step metal roof job done by AA with lots of pictures that was amazing quality. I spent an hour looking but could'nt find the damn thread (search function sucks balls).
atsealevel914
QUOTE(jasons @ Feb 2 2010, 05:50 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 1 2010, 10:44 PM) *

WOW! The metal work on that car is amazing.

The AA job makes this one look like a hack job. Anybody got the link to the AA metal roof thread?
ME733
QUOTE(atsealevel914 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:28 AM) *

There was a complete step by step metal roof job done by AA with lots of pictures that was amazing quality. I spent an hour looking but could'nt find the damn thread (search function sucks balls).

................I agree...not complaining too much as the site is a volunteer situation, but I have never been able to use the search function ...and find anything. ever. maybe I do not speak the proper "computer language"....
jd74914
This is the thread, but at least on my computer, George's images are not showing up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66687&hl=
SirAndy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 2 2010, 07:09 AM) *

This is the thread, but at least on my computer, George's images are not showing up.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66687&hl=

That's because he linked to images on his server, which are no longer there ... dry.gif

That's why i always tell people to NOT link to offsite pictures.
shades.gif Andy
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 2 2010, 12:44 AM) *

We could do that too, and already have done the steel roof and headlight delete before.
All it takes is $$.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif

The pics George posted were of a car done in Europe, not an AA project.
PeeGreen 914
Hey T.C. that brace you showed looks like something someone could easily make and it wouldn't be expensive. Am I wrong? confused24.gif
Jeff Hail
here we are
Jeff Hail
next.... Yes George I stole these. Sure you wont mind
Jeff Hail
next!
Jeff Hail
next
Jeff Hail
Coming from a fabricator. This was the way I would have done it.

You know.... I never really liked the composite roof. Maybe... I will do one in aluminum.
bcheney
Everyone has had somekind of issue with the search function from time to time...Hey life is tough...This site is run by a volunteer army and has brought so much to my screen that I can't put a value on it...I'm truly gratelful. That said....I don't remember where I found this link...It's super helpful when you need to find something.
All you do is type in what you're looking for on the 914world site and you got it. Copy and paste it into your browser and bookmark it.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...2%3Aajvfxschcgc
carr914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 2 2010, 07:00 PM) *

Hey T.C. that brace you showed looks like something someone could easily make and it wouldn't be expensive. Am I wrong? confused24.gif

I'm going to do it for my car.

The x-brace in the pictures next to the white car & on the ground came out of smg914's M-471 GT. It was not on the car when Steve got the GT and I have been searching for it for a couple of years

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.