Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
I've got an oil leak. I know everybody who is reading this is suprised. I had the engine out and the oil cooler seals were replaced, greased lightly and torqued. I also put a new gasket on the oil filter connector elbow to the block (I'm sure that's not the name, but you get the idea). I'm getting about 1 drop a week, yeah that's not much but I want 0 drops. I could just live with it, but if I can fix it I will. I have never touched the head bolts and I suspect they have never been removed.

Here's my question, is it a good idea to check the torque on the head bolts? I think the leak may be located between cylinder 4 and the block. Would I be risking breaking the bolt or making the leak worse, if I try to retorque? Can I get to those bolts with the engine in the car?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mtndawg @ Feb 1 2010, 10:19 AM) *

I've got an oil leak. I know everybody who is reading this is suprised. I had the engine out and the oil cooler seals were replaced, greased lightly and torqued. I also put a new gasket on the oil filter connector elbow to the block (I'm sure that's not the name, but you get the idea). I'm getting about 1 drop a week, yeah that's not much but I want 0 drops. I could just live with it, but if I can fix it I will. I have never touched the head bolts and I suspect they have never been removed.

Here's my question, is it a good idea to check the torque on the head bolts? I think the leak may be located between cylinder 4 and the block. Would I be risking breaking the bolt or making the leak worse, if I try to retorque? Can I get to those bolts with the engine in the car?

would not hurt to check them but you will have to remove the cylinder covers. Maybe you should leak the engine down while it is out. That way besides other things you can check to see if a head gasket is leaking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.