Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaymann
I have been looking for a good deal on a clutch kitt.The prices seem to vary greatley, on what supplier you use,and what kitt you buy. What is a good supplier to purchase this kit from?What kitt do I need?Does anyone have a kitt they bought and never used?And would like to sell. Jaymann
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Jaymann @ Feb 1 2010, 10:54 AM) *

I have been looking for a good deal on a clutch kitt.The prices seem to vary greatley, on what supplier you use,and what kitt you buy. What is a good supplier to purchase this kit from?What kitt do I need?Does anyone have a kitt they bought and never used?And would like to sell. Jaymann

someone has a thread on proper clutch replacement and you need about 17 parts to do it properly. The old three piece clutch kit commonly sold just does not hack it these days
914Sixer
I agree with the DR. Read his article and do it right. You might even consider replacing the cable and linkage at the pedal.
mtndawg
I did buy a kit from the Dr above. If you do it, do the entire thing and get the flywheel machined. Make sure you find a machinist who knows how to do it CORRECTLY! As I recall there is a step that needs to be machined. Don't get half assed machine work. It will make a huge difference.
ericread
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 1 2010, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Jaymann @ Feb 1 2010, 10:54 AM) *

someone has a thread on proper clutch replacement and you need about 17 parts to do it properly. The old three piece clutch kit commonly sold just does not hack it these days

hahaha! George is being diplomatic these days.

After much reading and comparison of items included and pricing, I reviewed the 17 piece clutch kit from Auto Atlanta and the similar kit from Pelican Parts. I found the kit from Auto Atlanta to be more complete and at a better price. But the real issue is how it installs/runs.

It just happens that I replaced my flywheel and clutch items on my 74 914 this past weekend. Everything went in very well, and I had no problems whatsoever in getting everything to fit properly.

One item left out of both kits is the flywheel measurement tool, which I think both sell for around $15.

As for after the installation driving, I couldn't be happier.

Notes:
1. I found the Pelican Parts instructions to be easier to follow than George's guide. But maybe that's just me.
2. Total time for me was about 6 hours, including jacking time and installing/ replacing the transmission.
3. If you go this direction, be prepared for Cap't Krusty to call you a dman fool, as he feels only a new flywheel should be installed. But I experienced very acceptable flywheel endplay, and quite frankly, future wear on the flywheel should be negligable.

Eric Read

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.