Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Strut Insert Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hey guys,

I got new Koni inserts off ebay last week and cannot wait to put them in wub.gif . But I've just had a wheel alignment a couple month ago right after turbo tie rods installation. My question is if one can replace the inserts without altering the alignment. Should I go ahead and do this or wait until next wheel alignment?

BTW, how would you hold the big washer on the top of the strut when loosening the 22mm top nut? Is there special tool to do this or just use a pipe wrench or something??? confused24.gif confused24.gif

Thanks in advance.

tradisrad
As far as I know you will not alter the alignment by changing the cartridge if you only remove the top 22mm nut and the top of the cartridge.
I use my impact gun to remove the nuts - no need to hold the large washer. There should also be a washer that is bent around the nut securing it to the strut. Flatten this first.
kkid
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Feb 1 2010, 01:14 PM) *

As far as I know you will not alter the alignment by changing the cartridge if you only remove the top 22mm nut and the top of the cartridge.
I use my impact gun to remove the nuts - no need to hold the large washer. There should also be a washer that is bent around the nut securing it to the strut. Flatten this first.

Thanks for the info, Tradisrad.

That's what I thought. But with a manual hand tool, a 22mm nut wants to turn with a washer, a rubber bushing, and maybe with a shaft all together. BTW, my car does not have the securing thin washer any more.
tradisrad
You could hold the large ring with a pipe wrench. Ought to work. I've found that large channel locks or a pipe wrench work well for removing the large cartridge top.
McMark
The correct tool is sometimes called a spanner, but I'm sure there are other, more common names. It's a hook with a 'tooth' in it to fit in the notch. It's pretty specialized because the diameter of the hook needs to match the diameter of the ring/washer. (it's the right side of the pictured tool)

You can see if you can rent an electric impact wrench, it really does make it much much easier.
kkid
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 1 2010, 02:46 PM) *

The correct tool is sometimes called a spanner, but I'm sure there are other, more common names. It's a hook with a 'tooth' in it to fit in the notch. It's pretty specialized because the diameter of the hook needs to match the diameter of the ring/washer. (it's the right side of the pictured tool)

You can see if you can rent an electric impact wrench, it really does make it much much easier.

Wow, it looks like a spanner that I've seen at a bike shop. I actually tried to use a 911 fan pulley wrench that came with my 914-4 but this one did not fit on the washer due to size difference. So I got a pipe wrench from Harbor Freight yesterday. I will probably give it a try tonite.
BTW, I think I should buy an electric impact wrench. Is the electric strong enough to work on a rear wheel hub nut as well?

Thanks for the tips, guys!
dflesburg
We did eriks car last fall
what a pain in the ass!

Dave_Darling
I've had no problems using a pipe wrench on the washer while using a socket and large ratchet on the retaining nut. You will likely need a second pair of hands to hold the pipe wrench steady.

I used the pipe wrench myself to remove the nut that holds the insert in the strut as well. That is another one that notionally takes a "special tool" to remove or replace.

--DD
kkid
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Feb 3 2010, 09:45 AM) *

We did eriks car last fall
what a pain in the ass!

Yeah, it was a PITA stromberg.gif just until I figured out how to maneuver the thing and to insert the shiny shaft back in to the hole sheeplove.gif

There was no way I could take the old one out and put the new one in without removing the brake hose clips.

Also, I had to jack the whole suspension up in order to get the shaft through the bushing hole on the top.

It took me 90 min for the first side and 30 min for other side.

Thanks
kkid
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 3 2010, 06:53 PM) *

I've had no problems using a pipe wrench on the washer while using a socket and large ratchet on the retaining nut. You will likely need a second pair of hands to hold the pipe wrench steady.

I used the pipe wrench myself to remove the nut that holds the insert in the strut as well. That is another one that notionally takes a "special tool" to remove or replace.

--DD

Thanks DD,

The pipe wrench worked so well. Honestly this was my first to use a pipe wrench. I enjoyed using it without a second pair of hands. What a great tool!

BTW, the driving experience with new Koni is fabulous. I can definitely go faster with no problem. Most importantly the ride has become more comfortable. Now I've got to change the rear shocks very soon.

Should I go Koni or Bil?
mepstein
QUOTE(kkid @ Feb 3 2010, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 1 2010, 02:46 PM) *

Wow, it looks like a spanner that I've seen at a bike shop. I actually tried to use a 911 fan pulley wrench that came with my 914-4 but this one did not fit on the washer due to size difference. So I got a pipe wrench from Harbor Freight yesterday. I will probably give it a try tonite.
BTW, I think I should buy an electric impact wrench. Is the electric strong enough to work on a rear wheel hub nut as well?

Thanks for the tips, guys!

It is a bike shop tool. Made by Park. most shops have a couple and there are some different sizes/radius. Less than $20. Or just borrow it for a cup of coffee.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.