Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BallJoint Socket Tool in SoCal to Borrow?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Anybody in the SoCal area have the balljoint socket they could lend me? I remember someone offered to let me borrow one but I can't remember who... confused24.gif

Also, is antifreeze really required in the strut housing when installing new cartridges?

Kev
Kargeek
I have one you can borrow- how soon do you need it as it's in storage and I will have to go dig for it.

Dave Hall, Orange County PM me and we can discuss.
McMark
Two words...

Monkey

Wrench
kconway
QUOTE(Kargeek @ Feb 1 2010, 01:48 PM) *

I have one you can borrow- how soon do you need it as it's in storage and I will have to go dig for it.

Dave Hall, Orange County PM me and we can discuss.

Probably within a week or so. Bruce is painting/plating some part for me I'm waiting on.
kconway
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 1 2010, 01:50 PM) *

Two words...

Monkey

Wrench

So, I thought about that and honestly haven't looked at this as closely as I should yet but isn't there a torque specified for this nut? I can see if I'm removing it but this is for an installation or is it not that critical?

Kev
McMark
180 ft/lb. cool.gif
jaxdream
If your'e using 73 914 strut bodies , look inside to see if there is a hole that goes straight through into the hole for the balljoint stud that pins to the strut body. I have examined 2 sets of struts that are on the 2 73 914's I have and both sets have a hole all the way through to the balljoint stud area , both sides, both cars.
This may caues a leak of the coolant fluid, unless sealed to prevent leakage.

Jack / Jaxdream
kconway
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Feb 1 2010, 10:07 PM) *

If your'e using 73 914 strut bodies , look inside to see if there is a hole that goes straight through into the hole for the balljoint stud that pins to the strut body. I have examined 2 sets of struts that are on the 2 73 914's I have and both sets have a hole all the way through to the balljoint stud area , both sides, both cars.
This may caues a leak of the coolant fluid, unless sealed to prevent leakage.

Jack / Jaxdream

Thanks Jack,
These are early 70's 911 struts and they do not go through. The instructions for the strut cartridge (Boge) says to use 50ml of antifreeze ~ 1.5oz. I guess I should follow the manufacturers recommendation but seems a little wacky. Guess I shouldn't have to worry about the inside of the strut rusting.
jaxdream
That part is great , no leaky . Now my next question is since you are using 911 struts , are the new inserts for a 911 or 914 ?? The valving on the 911 inserts is different than what is required for th 914 , 911 =heavier vehicle , 914 = lighter vehicle, The antifrezze is a great coolant for the inserts , it will absorb water moisture and mix with it and retard rust on the insert bodies . Light weight oil is ok too , but if it gets out of the strut , it could get on your brakes with adverse effects.
Some guys don't use a coolant some do. Good luck with your project .

Jack / Jaxdream
kconway
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Feb 2 2010, 06:39 AM) *

That part is great , no leaky . Now my next question is since you are using 911 struts , are the new inserts for a 911 or 914 ?? The valving on the 911 inserts is different than what is required for th 914 , 911 =heavier vehicle , 914 = lighter vehicle, The antifrezze is a great coolant for the inserts , it will absorb water moisture and mix with it and retard rust on the insert bodies . Light weight oil is ok too , but if it gets out of the strut , it could get on your brakes with adverse effects.
Some guys don't use a coolant some do. Good luck with your project .

Jack / Jaxdream

I've got 914 Boge strut cartidges going into 911 Boge struts.
detoxcowboy
Just get the free loaner at Auto Zone.. They have tools they loan out, most are free some require a deposit so you do not forget to return it,,
kconway
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 2 2010, 08:08 AM) *

Just get the free loaner at Auto Zone.. They have tools they loan out, most are free some require a deposit so you do not forget to return it,,

Autozone does not have the balljoint socket but I did find one so problem solved.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
the balljoint socket is for installation ONLY (check out the discription at the bird in the tools section). with the usually frozen up capturing nut you'll pull the car off of the jack stands trying to loosen it or the socket will slip and you'll mash your hands. repeated spraying, well in advance, with a quality penetrant is crucial. what works real slick to get the nut started is letting a pneumatic impact hammer, with a blunted chisel bit in one of the notches, do the hard work. this method can work very quickly.
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 2 2010, 08:23 AM) *

the balljoint socket is for installation ONLY (check out the discription at the bird in the tools section). with the usually frozen up capturing nut you'll pull the car off of the jack stands trying to loosen it or the socket will slip and you'll mash your hands. repeated spraying, well in advance, with a quality penetrant is crucial. what works real slick to get the nut started is letting a pneumatic impact hammer, with a blunted chisel bit in one of the notches, do the hard work. this method can work very quickly.

Agreed and the monkey thing works great as well.
kconway
This is for installation, I've got fresh a-arms and new balljoints I'm installing. Monkey wrench = no acruate torque measurement upon installation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.