Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber IDF 40 Float adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
Well I'm checking out the "rebuilt carbs from the PO" they have been rebuilt I can tell there are new parts the needles and seats look good but I am questioning the float level how can I measure float level with a caliper I couldnt find much. I have them apart now... lso I read something about the accel pump rod .. is ther a adjustment to that as well....looking for input Thanks
jmill
You take the top off the carb and turn it upside down with the float attached. You then measure from the base with a gasket on it to the top of the float. If you measure without it your float will be set high the thickness of the gasket. I dont use calipers. I use a steel metric ruler. That's close enough for the girls I run with.
VaccaRabite
With the gasket? Are you sure? In the weber tech manual, the diagram they have for float setting does not show the gasket in place (I think). Well, if I am off, its only by a single mm.

If you are using calipers, the easiest way to do it is by using the prod that comes out the bottom instead of trying to use the jaws.

Oh, you want it set closed at 10mm, and open at 32mm.

Zach
Joe Ricard
I do the measurement from the cover and I eye ball it with a 10mm box wrench.

Yes, I do live in the south.
Van
On the IDFs, you have to put the gasket on before you put the float on... So measurements will include that.

For the "closed" adjustment, bend the tab that's connected to the needle. For the "opened" adjustment, bend the tab on the backside of the hinge that touches the casting.

At about the 7:20 mark of this video, you can see me measuring my floats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFywh5aC52A
VaccaRabite
Huh, I'll need to open mine up 1mm then. Glad I saw this thread.

Zach
jaxdream
Use a 10mm hex headed bolt for the one measurement , the 32mm probably could be accomplished with a piece of sheet metal cut to length. Maybe , maybe not , worth a try.

Jack / Jaxdream
McMark
The needle valve has a spring to it. Make sure when you're checking the closed setting that you do not compress the spring or you will effectively be setting your float too low. You want to measure when the needle seats and that's it.
wayne1234
so do I measure at the "tail" of the floats aginst the body with a gasket as the arrow shows 10mm closed and 32mm open swing? not compressint the spring in the needle right? Im still fuzzy on this

Closed 10mm

Click to view attachment

Open 32mm

Click to view attachment
McMark
Check at the furthest point from the pivot. The Weber Haynes covers this and much more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.