Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler options with Jug Spacers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
Over the past few years, I have been rebuilding my 914. I have rebuilt the engine. It was originally a 1.7l now it is around 2.4l. Since i rebuilt it a few years ago, I really don't remember the exact numbers but I put in a stroker crankshaft along with other mods. Because of the new crankshaft I needed to put jug spacers in which made the engine about 2 inches wider when assembled. This means that my headers are about 2 inches further apart which makes it so they don't match up with the muffler. I have tried to just bend them however I when I do that, I have problems making the headers seal properly against the head.

What does everybody else do with their mufflers when they use jug spacers? I really like my muffler but right now it doesn't fit my setup. I would rather not spend a huge amount on a custom muffler. I could take it to a muffler shop and have them weld a piece in to make my muffler connecting pipes wider.
6freak
. I could take it to a muffler shop and have them weld a piece in to make my muffler connecting pipes wider.
[/quote]
I think you just anwsered your own? pictures would be cool so we can drooooool good luck aktion035.gif
ChrisFoley
What makes you think the exhaust that worked for you on the 1.7 will be any good on the 2.4?
You've increased the displacement more than 40% but you sure won't get 40% more power without improving the exhaust similarly.
In my experience, 2.4 liter Type 4 engines that run with the stock exhaust are badly restricted and tend to overheat.
6freak
Take the mans advice so you dont post a ..My cars over heating thread next week ...Chris that never even crossed my mind
wertygrog
Those are some major spacers if the engine is 2 inches wider now. Stroker pistons would have helped out with that a bit.
tornik550
I posted a pic of my car from this past summer. I posted it just for fun- I don't have a pic of the exhaust.

It's been a while since I had the engine out and I think that my memory failed me. I looked an I may have exaggerated a little about the 2" wider comment. I looks like it is more like 1 inch wider.

What is the restrictive part in the stock exhaust system? My muffler is not stock. I am not sure what kind it is because it came from the PO. The headers are stock. Are the stock headers the restrictive part? If so then I may be in trouble. If it is the muffler- no problem. I don't mind purchasing a new muffler.

Right now, my wife and I have another kid on the way and I am pretty sure that she would get fairly pissed if I spent 1000+ on new headers.
6freak
ya only have to spend it once ...That nite give her a good bang`n and she`ll forget all about the money....O wait ya did that nine months ago ...just poke.gif fun at ya....good luck.....O ya nice car
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Feb 2 2010, 08:28 AM) *

Are the stock headers the restrictive part?

Yes. If you don't have at least 1 5/8" od primary pipes the exhaust will be the biggest limiting factor in your engine's performance.
What sort of headwork and cam does your new engine have?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.