Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear hub installation problems!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbonucci
Really having a struggle getting the hubs back into the trailing arms. Got them out fine, and the new bearings in, but getting the hub back in is a MF!!! I know that there is a specific tool you can buy, but is there another way to do it? The hubs are in the freezer right now! Thanks...
rick 918-S
Don't have the answer for you but... welcome.png ....someone will.
underthetire
Mine went right in. This is how I did it.

Place worklight on bearings
Freeze stubs
Get them to start, you can tap it in until you get to the rearward facing bearing
Pull CV axle through hole
Start castle nut
Impact together

welcome.png
jaxdream
Just about everybody uses an all thread of a sort and big big washers, tap it to get it going in straight , but DON'T hammer , if you hammer it too hard you stand a chance of dinging your bearings and making flat spots on them .
Frezze the hub , lube it slightly to get it to slide in some, a little tapping is acceptable, use the allthread and big washers to force it in further. I had a 1 inch diameter peice and appropriate sized washers ( actually 2 washers per side ) lube the threads and got it going in good , then used my impact to screw it in , but slowly.
Had welded a big nut on to the allthread so I could use an inpact socket to finish it up. Piece of cake for me , YMMV....Good luck.

Jack / Jaxdream
RJMII
welcome.png

I'd offer advice as well, but the previous posts all had the same advice I'd offer up.

Jeffs9146
I had a 1 inch diameter peice and appropriate sized washers ( actually 2 washers per side ) lube the threads and got it going in good , then used my impact to screw it in , but slowly.

This is what I did but I bought a large thick washer and ground it so it fit into arm and rested against the bearing. Do not try to tap the hub in you will damage the bearing. Use the all thread and an impact wrench or you can use two sockets and tighten them together untill the hub seats into the bearing.
marks914
Same thing,
This is a real pain in the rear to do. I think the rear hubs were weorse than the entire V8 conversion!
Mark
ericread
After freezing my new bearings, they slid in without any trouble whatsoever. So I decided to freeze the hubs. That helped a bit, but it was still going to be a bit of work.

So I went to the hardware store and purchased a couple feet of allthread, some washers with the same diameter of the inside ring of the bearings, and of course, some nuts.

After placing the hub in place, I placed the allthread in the center, carefully placed the washers to ensure they were only connecting wth the inside ring of the bearing, and tightenet the nuts. It was a snap. And there was no chance I was going to destroy the bearings, as there was no stress between the inside ring and outside ring of the bearings themselves.

Worked like a champ!!!

Good luck

Eric Read
MrKona
I've got some pictures of what others are describing on my thread here.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.