Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DMV-Car is out of the system, What does it take to register?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Looking at a car thats out of the DMV system and wondering if anyone has registered a car out of the system in CA.

Any input?

Thanks!
Andrew
al weidman
Andrew, I've got the same situation and have been hesitant to ask the DMV. I hope we have some good guidance on this issue. Al.
dekman
Mine was nonexistant in the DMV computer too. I did have some old DMV registration slips in the glove box. Brought in what I had with bill of sale. They gave me some form to fill out and I made an appointment for car/vin inspection. And then paided some $$$. About a month later got my plates.......

As long as your car isn't stolen, you should be fine................ bye1.gif
Andyrew
What fee's did you pay? Looking at buying a car and want to be able to factor this into the price.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 1 2010, 11:28 PM) *

Looking at a car thats out of the DMV system and wondering if anyone has registered a car out of the system in CA.

Any input?

Thanks!
Andrew

I have purchased and transferred in my name several 914s not in the CA DMV system. It's very easy, in fact, easier than cars in the system.

1) if you know the car is not in the system, then just go in to the DMV. You don't even need a title or bill of sale. You'll sign how much and who you bought the car from, pay some $ and your'e good to go.

If it's not in the system, and came from another state, take off the plates and repeat step 1. Otherwise they will need to inspect the car...which amounts to verifying the VIN number. They like to see at least two places that VIN number shows up in this age of a car. Most of the time, they don't know other that the windshield where to find it on a 914. Show them the door jamb tab if still present, the windshield and the inner trunk fender stamp. They usually can't wait to get rid of you because the 914 doesn't fit with what they have learned to look for. It's kind of funny because they are trying to act like they know what they are doing when inspecting your car, but in most cases they are totally lost and trying to keep their dignity in place.

Don't buy a 76 in CA....period.

tradisrad
It is easy. I went through it this year.
I bought the car in April and went to DMV and paid my fees and got the paper work in my name. Went home and fixed the car. 6 months later I took the paper work back to get a new temporary operatin permit and the DMV lady drilled me on why it took so long. I explained that w/o a engine the car was difficult to bring to them. She then told me I had to go to CHP. I called CHP and he said that if the DMV has never seen the car he can't look unless the car failed vin inspection at DMV. CHP ran the vin and it came back clear (as expected). I went to another DMV and they inspected the vin and processed the paper work. I walked out with my plates!

I did not pay any back fees because the seller filled out paper work that stated the car was parked off of the road for the last xx years. I paid about $100 with reg and tax. (low $$ bill of sale)

BTW I only had a bill of sale. No title.
pcar916
When I did mine in 1994 I also had to get a smog certificate based on the year model of the engine in the car. Let's just say it was difficult to get the carb'd six engine certified... and costly.

Are those still required?
shoguneagle
Hello Andyrew

taking a chance to say hello by robbing the thread. Glad to see you are still involved with the 914s'.

You should not have any problems if you have a title. Not having a title gets a little sticky on procedure but not a problem if you take the time and follow DMV procedures. The suggestions above are all good; if you do not have a good title then it becomes a problem of perfecting title and determine car status with DMV.

Try to get one with a good title (pink slip). This is the cleanest and then have Cal DMV run a check on their system to determine if it is listed. If it is listed on their system and NOT covered by a Statement of Nonoperation, then the fees become quite large.

If you have a good title and it IS NOT on their system, then the appropriate paper work can be gotten from DMV. Always try to get a statement from the seller that the car has not been on the road for however long (min five years in Cal). There may be other requirements that have changed but check with DMV to determine their requirements. If the pink slip has not been signed off by previous owners before the current seller, there is a procedure you must follow including sending certified letters to all prior owners last known address; if the certified letter is returned unopened, do not open it. Take them along with the appropriate papwe work to the DMV. Now you are perfecting ownership title.

The last but not least is not having a good title and/or not on DMV System. A car in this status can take several different paths including problems which you cannot anticipate. Try not to go into this category, but if you do you can get a tilte and eventual registration. I usually start with a nortized bill of sale or appropriate paperwork obtained from DMV. This can get dirty, but also it can be very clean; alot depends on the former owner working with you. Try to stay away from this category, but if you really have to have the car, say a 914-6 body, then it can be done. I know because I have been down this path both dealing with California instate and out-of-state.

Again, Hello and glad to see you still involved with the 914.

Send me an e-mail if I can help you.

Steve Hurt
tradisrad
It's as complicated and Steve makes it sound. Sorry Steve.
MY car had been off of the road for 25+ years. The Owner was dead and I bought it from a 3rd party.
I had a Bill of Sale and Certificate of Non op filled out by the 3rd party. I also had to fill out a statement of facts. I've dont this twice in the last few years. The hardest part is the false worry about it going wrong.
The DMV wants $$$.
Andyrew
Thanks all!

Steve, Howdy!! Good to see you active! Im actually more active on the club site's Paddock but I frequent here just the same. I've been slowly getting the v8 up for a saleable state, it runs and drives just fine just finishing up the bodywork and loose ends. Just purchased a house with a 2 car garage, 2 driveways and big RV access. Once I sell the 914 v8 i'll be getting another 914 to just toy around with, but also use the money to get a couple other cars to fix up...

andys
If you don't belong to The Auto Club, then get a membership if for nothing else but vehicle registration services. And they really know their stuff when it comes to special circumstances. It is well worth not having to deal with the DMV.

My car was also "off the books." One convenient trip to the local Auto Club office and the deal was done; and with a good attitude!

Andys
Andyrew
My mom worked for AAA for 13 years so I know a bunch of people over there, currently only have their tow deal.

I'll head over there when im ready and hopefully avoid this dmv mess (my friend went there yesterday and the line was out the door for about 100 feet just to get in...
andys
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 2 2010, 08:52 AM) *

My mom worked for AAA for 13 years so I know a bunch of people over there, currently only have their tow deal.

I think you have to have their membership in order to have their "tow deal." Might look into it; you may already have their services available to you.

Andys
shoguneagle
Tradisran, you have the third category I mentioned; where the problems are based on the conditions and events leading up to your sale. I did not mention it was easy or not costly for this third event. It is going to take time so keep persuing it; again, yes, it will cost money. what you are going through is why I do not like not having a title.

Andrew, I like going through AAA to get title transferred and licensed. I recently purchased a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider from an owner in Arnold. I had him smog it for two reasons: evaluation of car and title. Had all the paper work in line and came into California to transfer license and title. DMV closed on Friday??? AAA took care of me since I am an associate member. Clean as a whistle; car licensed and registered in California and located in Flagstaff for the winter - maintenance purposes and getting use to the CIS Bosch L-Jetronic injection.

Later,
Steve
Andyrew
Awesome! I'll be heading to AAA to have this taken care of most definately.

Actually the car in question is a 70 510 that my friend and I are going to restomod with an SR20 engine/drivetrain. It was last registered in 85 and the owner has died. We will be purchasing it with a bill of sale and any other paperwork that he has.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.