Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT clones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
914-6 GT clones

Please post pictures and information

I’ve always liked the look of the GT’s. I’m building mine to have that look but still be very drivable on the street. I could really use advice to what other members have done to their cars. I’m not trying for a true “clone”-no twin plug 2.8 or 908 brake calipers but would really like input to what others have done, what you plan on doing in the future and what you might have done differently looking back on the build. Owners of real GT’s are of course welcome to contribute! Thanks guys, Mark – the flare guy- Epstein
sean_v8_914
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt
this link will cost many hours of your life, enjoy
mepstein
Sean - Seen it. Totally overwelmed by the possibilities. I don't have plans to build a race car or true clone. I am interested in the GT "look" and performance where reasonable. I'm wondering if GT chassis mods make a difference for ordinary driving, what wheels and tires work best with the flares, and any cosmetic or performance mods that members have done to their cars. Also what mistakes they made and what they would not do again. Since a lot of members are making changes to their cars, this should benefit more than just myself. Thanks, Mark
shoguneagle
I am building a somewhat "modified -6GT clone". What have I done? after 6-7 years one has a tend to forget the things modified; especially how much money!! Here goes: 1987 Carrera Sixer, Carrera front suspension and brakes, longs stress kit, interior stress kit, headers, 17inch Cup II rims with spacers, rear suspension tab reinforcements (all of Chris'), 901 mod trans, 911 dash and instruments, front oil cooler wtih everything, front fan system and housing/inlet/outlet, 911 footwell heater fans, Rich Johnson's front mount, RJ's throttle kit, RJ's other kits, 911 oil tank, dual parallel batteries, radios and lap top computer connections, fiberglas flared fenders, 916 front and rear fiberglas bumpers, Koni front shocks, Koni rear shocks with adjustable perches, etc. Anticipating it roadworthy this spring.

Other things to do: new Sway-A-Way axles, 911 CV joints, rear defusers, new rear axles with 911 stubs, finish the heating system (using oil as heat source), paint, aerodynamic changes to front, rear spoiler, rear 911 Carrera brakes (maybe larger Wilwood brakes on all four corners, weight and corner balance car, etc.

The car is a continuing project just to keep me involved in engineering type problems. I would like to think it will be ready for a long road trrip after determining it's dependability. That is what I have done and what I probably will do in the future; who knows, maybe someday it will be done. I am really getting interested in electric cars.

Steve Hurt
atsealevel914
This is a really nice one.

http://www.freisinger-motorsport.de/porsch..._Detail/23.html
mepstein
Also trying to decide between an engman long kit and 6 point roll cage.
URY914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Also trying to decide between an engman long kit and 6 point roll cage.

Start with the long kit first.
pcar916
If weight is an issue and you are going to cage it anyway then you'll likely not want to do both that and a long kit.

Unless the longitudinals are gone anyway, a proper cage will get you to the stiffness you need.

The key is welding into enough points...

Good Luck
Eric_Shea
If weight is an issue and you are going to cage it anyway then you'll likely not want to do both that and a long kit.

Unless the longitudinals are gone anyway, a proper cage will get you to the stiffness you need.

agree.gif

I was luck enough to have amazing longs. I opted against the extra weight of the kit, especially with the factory type roll bar we fabricated.
PeeGreen 914
Mine's sort of a clone. I guess. Nothing like Erics car though. I'll post pics when I get home for you.
Justinp71

914-6 GT clone-

'81 911 3.0, webbers, dc 19 cams, headers ~250hp.

911 rear axles mated to 901 box with help of patrick motorsport adaptors. These take the 108mm cv axles, vs stock 100mm. Not sure if its worth the weight for a 3.0...

Brad Meyeur long kit, it weighs about 12 more lbs than the engman kit but it runs 1/8" steel from the rear trailing arm mount to the front of the car. I didn't want a cage inside the car, so I figured this was the next best thing.

Front mounted oil cooler, patrick motorsports setup. Neccasary for doing track events, but if only doing a/x you could get away with mounting it in the rear area.

911M series brakes with porterfield pads, nice and lightweight but has alot of grab.

19mm welmiester front sway bar, 19mm torsion bars. Alot of people say to run 21mm for racing, but my front end is very stiff as is...

250lbs rear coil overs with bilstein shocks, plan to go down to 200 or 220lb springs
, 250 is a bit to much...

Thats about it, its a fast great reliable car. I drive it to events, race it and drive it home (have AAA just in case).
iamchappy
Mines not a clone either, but i think Porsche should consider cloning it......
914coop
I agree with Chappy, I drool oh it every time I see it!
tracks914
Mines a clone, built for fun not racing. Just a cruising car.
'73 2.0
and yes the front end was lowered when I did the alignment. (early picture)
PeeGreen 914
Yes, now that Chappy posted a pic of his I am hesitant to post mine sad.gif

He has done a very nice job on his.

Here is what mine looks like:

enikolayev
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 2 2010, 05:26 PM) *

Mines not a clone either, but i think Porsche should consider cloning it......

Is it just me or does this one look like one of those mini model cars?
carr914
I will first say, I don't like the term GT Clone. I think GT Look is better for most cars that get flared. Most are conversions.

It's just that cloning to me should at least start with a Real 914-6, Real M-471 Flares, etc. When you get to the point of Armando's, ChicagoPete, badm, Eric or mine, you have fallen down the slippery slope & hit your head a couple of times on the way down.

Here are some of my previous GT Looks

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
T.C. is right, when i think of GT clone cars like Chicagopete's and Armandos are what come to mind.
Then T.C's Gt parts stash...............
mepstein
I agree, GT "look" is more appropriate. Saw my first flared car in '84. Still remember the look. Done by a guy in DE who flared and converted 4's to 6's. Had another upside down on 55 gallon steel drums wire brushing off the undercoating. Poor man's rottiserie.
andys
Mark,

You might look up ahdoman (Steve) to see if he's still got that nice looking 2.4/6 motor for sale.

Andys
Justinp71
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 2 2010, 10:27 PM) *

I always thought yours is a fine example aswell...

btw...I agree about the gt 'look' thing, I guess I should say that mine has the gt look... not a gt clone.
mepstein
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 3 2010, 11:37 AM) *

Mark,

You might look up ahdoman (Steve) to see if he's still got that nice looking 2.4/6 motor for sale.

Andys

Could you suggest some good conversion links on this site. There are alot when I search but you guys probably know which are best. I know the basics but could use a parts list w/ approx prices so I know what I'm getting in to. I realize even with a motor costing $3500, it's not going to be cheap. I would want to do it right, look good, and have enough power to justify the $. ~160-200hp?
gothspeed
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 2 2010, 10:27 PM) *

It 'looks' fantastic w00t.gif !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.