Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you get the wheel hub out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
silverteener

I want to check and probably replace my rear wheel bearings but I need to remove the wheel hub. The haynes books shows it being driven out with a hammer and piece of metal pipe but I can't tell what diameter pipe to use. Anyone have any tips on getting the hubs out.

thanks beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(silverteener @ Feb 2 2010, 08:05 AM) *

I want to check and probably replace my rear wheel bearings but I need to remove the wheel hub. The haynes books shows it being driven out with a hammer and piece of metal pipe but I can't tell what diameter pipe to use. Anyone have any tips on getting the hubs out.

thanks beerchug.gif

after removing the caliper the rotor and the cv axle, we usually drive the hub out with a brass drift tapping around the perimeter. A little lube helps.
turnaround89
i went to harbor freight and bought a slide hammer, came with a hub adapter piece(looks like a foot) you bolt it to the hub and a couple good hits and out pops the hub.

This thing, the hub adapter is in the bottom right of the picture
IPB Image
underthetire
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:51 AM) *

i went to harbor freight and bought a slide hammer, came with a hub adapter piece(looks like a foot) you bolt it to the hub and a couple good hits and out pops the hub.

IPB Image

agree.gif

It's so easy with this you will laugh.
Eric_Shea
All of ours are done off the car however, nothing stopping you from pulling the lower shock bolt and dropping the arm down for easier accessability while on the car.

The problem you'll have is leverage, we use a lower shelf height on the press to prop up the shock end and everything is very "solid". With the arm hanging it will be kinda flexi...

We use an old 911 rear torsion bar (the big end) and a 10lb. Sledge. Bang, bang, out. Some "tools" just work. biggrin.gif

Sometimes they come out with the inner 1/2 of the split race bearings. If this happens take a MAPP torch and heat the race and pry/tap it back and forth to get it off. If it is really stubborn I take a Dremel with a carbide wheel, notch it until you're close to the hub shaft (be careful here) and then use a cold chisel to finish it off. A couple whacks with the cold chisel and the race should break. Then it should be easy to get off.
ericread
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 2 2010, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 2 2010, 09:51 AM) *

IPB Image

agree.gif

It's so easy with this you will laugh.

I did the same. I also used it to knock out the old bearing. Saved me a lot of time.
Jeff Hail
[quote name='Eric_Shea' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:22 AM' post='1268676']

"We" use an old 911 rear torsion bar (the big end) and a 10lb. Sledge. Bang, bang, out. Some "tools" just work. biggrin.gif

We Eric?... when did you become a frenchman? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Eric is correct on this procedure. I just havent ribbed him in a long while. A little blarney for the Shea!
Mark Henry
If you use a press you won't wreck the bearing.
Eric_Shea
Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Oi, we... I have Cody Maass (good German boy) to do all the bang'n and tearing down of calipers these days while I lay under my car on a creeper looking up at the Wurth making "vroom-vroom" sounds. jerkit.gif
silverteener
Well the slide hammer trick worked out great! Now how do I get the old bearings out!

Thx

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.