Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt datalogger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jpnovak
I know that many members here are running Megasquirt in their cars. There is also a need for data feedback from the ECU. Previously I made a dash display for my MS unit. Here is the link.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...sh-display.html

When I originally started the display project I envisioned additional functionality. Who knew it would take so long to make this happen. My code skills are poor at best but I can say I made this happen with only a little outside help.

I just completed a prototype SD card datalogger on the breadboard. It is working with B&G MSII 2.88 code. I have not tried it with any other code variants yet (MSII Extra) but expect to soon. I will be testing in the car over the next week or so.

This should answer the call for track users, Motorcycles and other users that can not carry a laptop for obvious reasons. This is not meant to replace a laptop but rather be a supplement.
The current setup has the following features:

microSD card
file format (.frd) that imports into TunerStudio (Thanks to Phil Tobin for the help)
LCD display compatibility (# variables depends on size)
switch activated logging capability
data rate ~20Hz

My plan is to do a small preliminary run of boards to make this happen. There are a few options and I thought I would poll the board to see what interests are out there. These three represent the simplest options. Each would probably require some user assembly for power hookups and other peripherals.

1. MS datalogger
(+) small size (approx 1x3" without box)
(+) simple (only datalogging)
(-) no options
expected cost ~$100

2. Expanded function datalogger with display
(+) similar size as above size (approx 1x3" without box)
(+) added display (2x20 with 4 variables or 4x20 with up to 8 variables)
expected cost ~$150

3. Vehicle Dynamics datalogger
can function as MS datalogger or vehicle dynamics datalogger (but not simultaneously - yet)
(+) MS variable logging (up to 10, possibly more with development; for example, rpm, MAP, AFR, CLT, etc)
(+) 3-axis - 2G accelerometer
(+) LCD display (see option #2)
(+) 10 Hz GPS (almost finished working)
(+) csv data format compatible with TrackVision or other external software
(-) you are on your own for data interpretation. I am still working on this but there are no plans for integrated software - yet)
expected cost ~$350 (compare to other systems)

the price goes up with increased complexity and board design. I am trying to keep these competitive and the price may change but not significantly. Keep in mind that this system is based upon a rather powerful (and expensive) microcontroller. I am not sure I can bring the cost down too much.
There is room for further development and other options might be available.

So... Post which option is most favorable and I will begin doing board layout once I see a clear indication of a favorite for the first beta run.

Also what is the preference.. regular or micro-SD card? I can do both.
underthetire
Right up my alley.

As far as data logger stand alone, not worth it for me. I use a $10.00 palm pilot with palm log.

Log with screen-possible for me, price is about the same as the MS display.

The last one sounds very cool, and if i was to spend that much it sure would be a toss up between that and the touch screen display available now. I'd have to see finished pics of yours to truly decide.

Keep in mind, i'm not a race car guy, just a bonehead driving a car thats too small for me biggrin.gif
utah914
Option 2 is my preference. I'll be adding MS to my 914 over the spring/summer and this would go perfectly with my install.
toon1
Pretty cool! Do you find your car idles best at 13.1?

Your map seemed high at 74kpa.
jpnovak
The car has a 3.2SS with big cams and ITBs. Yes, it requires a rich idle to keep it alive at low rpm due to overlap. Also, the MAP signal is not so good even with a vacuum plenum tree at low rpm.

Overall, that is the beauty of EFI. You can tune and account for these issues.
Mark Henry
Your only 15+ years behind SDS on this. The pendant mounted high (old ashtray) so it's heads up is the ticket.

My SDS is now going into the bug, If I didn't have webers for the /6 I'd do an FI system. I would try an MS (might be doing a megajolt jr. anyways) but if I had the cash I wouldn't hesitate on doing another SDS.
jpnovak
Mark, with respect I do realize what exists on the market both in technology and cost. Many companies offer a dash output and also card logging capability, not just SDS. Also, many vehicle dynamic systems offer interface packages for popular EFI applications to create a full datalogging suite.

I can also tell you that nothing like this exists for the MSI and MSII units and there is a market need.

Cano
Jamie:

Any plans to offer a display-only kit? I datalog with a netbook, but also have some dash holes to fill and would love to have the dash display when I dont have the computer in the car
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Feb 3 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Mark, with respect I do realize what exists on the market both in technology and cost. Many companies offer a dash output and also card logging capability, not just SDS. Also, many vehicle dynamic systems offer interface packages for popular EFI applications to create a full datalogging suite.

I can also tell you that nothing like this exists for the MSI and MSII units and there is a market need.

Not saying it's bad, just to me it's funny, I don't know how many times I heard that SDS was junk because you cannot plug it into a laptop, now guys are trying to recreate the pendant display.
Guess peeps are figuring out that looking at a laptop while tuning can be a bit of a problem.

I still have never used datalogging, I used to sell SDS and I have installed a few systems, I've even verified that the datalogging was working. Even re-chipped my SDS for datalogging, never looked at it. The last 2 summers I ran my SDS I never even installed my pendant.
underthetire
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 4 2010, 04:55 AM) *

QUOTE(jpnovak @ Feb 3 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Not saying it's bad, just to me it's funny, I don't know how many times I heard that SDS was junk because you cannot plug it into a laptop, now guys are trying to recreate the pendant display.
Guess peeps are figuring out that looking at a laptop while tuning can be a bit of a problem.

I still have never used datalogging, I used to sell SDS and I have installed a few systems, I've even verified that the datalogging was working. Even re-chipped my SDS for datalogging, never looked at it. The last 2 summers I ran my SDS I never even installed my pendant.

Using the laptop is not a problem, since it does the data logging. I know race guys don't want or can't use the laptop, but what about the palm pilot? I bought a 5 dollar palm M105 off Ebay and does data logging and real time display. Not as nice as the touch screen stuff out there, or the VFD display stuff. I think the third option that was mentioned will be a huge step though with display, logging, and GPS with capabilities to interface with your race software.
jpnovak
I have 10 test boards on the way.

I can supply the board and a list of materials or the populated options listed above. PM if you are interested. I am working up final pricing now. I should be able to come close to the initial targets.
jpnovak
Get out the soldering iron. The boards arrived last night. Get 'em while they are hot!

I will build up the first one and test this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.