Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the white car wont move?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So finally I got my white car started, does leak oil some place, put it in gear and let out the c pedal and it will not move. it wants to go but get real hard to move forward.
If it needs trans oil would it do this? car rolls easy so I don't think its the breaks
SirAndy
1. Check & adjust Clutch
2. Broken CV?
underthetire
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 2 2010, 01:47 PM) *

So finally I got my white car started, does leak oil some place, put it in gear and let out the c pedal and it will not move. it wants to go but get real hard to move forward.
If it needs trans oil would it do this? car rolls easy so I don't think its the breaks

No trans oil just causes flying gears, would still move.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 2 2010, 01:47 PM) *

If it leaks oil some place? Is it the rear main seal? and is your disc soaked in oil? My 69 Bug had a RMS leak and the clutch just wanted to spin and spin and spin. Although this was not as impressive as when the TO bearing let loose and locked up the flywheel at 40mph... Flat spots on the tires after that.
rick 918-S
How is it trying to move? Does it buck or crunch when it tries to move or is is smooth. Does the engine rev up but no movement? Is there smoke like oil or clutch smoke?
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 2 2010, 07:26 PM) *

How is it trying to move? Does it buck or crunch when it tries to move or is is smooth. Does the engine rev up but no movement? Is there smoke like oil or clutch smoke?
Thanks Rick , yeah it kind of fills like its being held by the hand break or something, but the cars can be push easy confused24.gif the car hasn't been driven in 2 years.
yeahmag
Will it stall if you let out the clutch or is the clutch slipping badly? Sounds like it might be stuck in two gears...
oldschool
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 2 2010, 10:47 PM) *

Will it stall if you let out the clutch or is the clutch slipping badly? Sounds like it might be stuck in two gears...

I'm not yet sure, I started it in the garage, and when it did not move, I just stop before I broke something, and it also has a mean oil leak coming fro the pas side,
but I press/wash the trans, and under the motor, because it was full of old oil. So I know it was leaking for sometime.
What should I look at first?
yeahmag
Check that you can get all 5 + R gears with the car not running. Did the car rock at all? Did the clutch feel "normal"?
oldschool
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 2 2010, 11:00 PM) *

Check that you can get all 5 + R gears with the car not running. Did the car rock at all? Did the clutch feel "normal"?

Clutch very normal,and I believe I can get all the gears.
yeahmag
Did the engine spin up or was it bogging like it had load?
oldschool
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 2 2010, 11:04 PM) *

Did the engine spin up or was it bogging like it had load?

like it was on load, and I almost had to completely let off the pedal,but if I did it would stall
rick 918-S
Can you let out the clutch with the car running in neutral? I was thinking it was stuck in two gears also. This is a strange one.
tradisrad
Under the clutch fork is a ball that the fork pivots on. If the clutch is not engaging properly and the problem is not in the cable adjustment then you may need to put a shim/s under the pivot ball. You will need a thin walled socket to loosen the pivot ball.
Wannabe 914-6 owner
If it has been sitting for two years, perhaps the calipers are locked up?
oldschool
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2010, 06:02 AM) *

Can you let out the clutch with the car running in neutral? I was thinking it was stuck in two gears also. This is a strange one.

My bad rolleyes.gif I started the white car today and tried to check the trans level BTW (whats the size to remove the bolt on the trans.)any way I got in the car and let out the clutch and stromberg.gif it MOVED aktion035.gif So if I have to release the clutch almost all the way before it moves, Whats happen? just a adjustment?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ Feb 13 2010, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 3 2010, 06:02 AM) *

My bad rolleyes.gif I started the white car today and tried to check the trans level BTW (whats the size to remove the bolt on the trans.)any way I got in the car and let out the clutch and stromberg.gif it MOVED aktion035.gif So if I have to release the clutch almost all the way before it moves, Whats happen? just a adjustment?

I believe you use a 17 mm allen wrenchon the inspection cap.

Strange about the trans shifting.. I have no clue what happened there.
Kirmizi
I believe you use a 17 mm allen wrench on the inspection cap.

agree.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.