Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Mercedes SLS AMG
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mountain914
Youtube video - Mercedes SLS AMG driving upside down through a tunnel.
Real ? Not sure.
To quote the people who host this:

Is it theoretically possible to drive a car upside down in a tunnel? A F1 car produces 1:1 weight to downforce ratio at 80 mph. This means it can theoretically cling upside down at that speed, but without much traction. At about 120 mph the ratio becomes 2:1 which means the force on the wheels will be equal to weight of a stationary car and there will be enough traction (provided the fuel supply etc. is made to function upside down). The ideal environment to do that would be in a perfectly cylindrical tunnel. (We don't think that the tunnel in the Mercedes vidoe would do the trick. - Flixxy Editor ;-)

But - I love the sound this thing makes !!!

http://www.flixxy.com/mercedes-benz-sls-amg-tunnel.htm

Who's up for a drive ? Eisenhower tunnel isn't too far from here idea.gif

av-943.gif
6freak
Totally fake ...what are they trying to prove with that fake B.S
messix
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 2 2010, 10:12 PM) *

Totally fake ...what are they trying to prove with that fake B.S

come on!!!.... let him believe in the easter bunny and the tooth fairy!!!! slap.gif
P.Rocket
Filmed in Beautiful British Columbia in the Fraser Canyon just north of Hope.
The bridge they go over is the Alexandra Bridge. The interior shots of the tunnel are filmed in a studio, the real tunnels on that road are nowhere near as clean and bright as that one. As fake as it is, very cool add and car.
Dr Evil
Big deal, I did that today in my Forester rolleyes.gif Not as cool, though. Centripetal force would hold the car if it went fast enough, no need to worry about it "sticking" to the roof. It was only upside down for a millisecond smile.gif My Suby really has to have a good head start, though.
ArtechnikA
If you are relying on downforce alone, you better have a fuel system that can suck gas from the top of the tank. (Aerobatic aircraft do - and inverted oil systems too...)
Mountain914
I'm sure butt-pucker must fall into the equation too (he-he)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.