Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion clutch question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeff
Does anyone have experience with the kennedy engineering flywheel/clutch packages?They sell a ring that fits over the 225mm fly wheel or a replacment flywheel if you have a 240mm flywheel does anyone have good or bad experiences whith these?I would think the whole new flywheel would be the best choice but they claim the ring is just as good?
boxstr
KEP is the way to go. Call and talk to them they are very helpful, when you lay out your plan.
CCLIN914-6
Joe Bob
ONLY way to go....
Steve
The KEP people are awesome but sad to say I'm still debugging my mess.
I'm running the 225mm kep adapter on my stock 3.2 flywheel with a 9" stage 2 pressure plate and disk.
I'm using the adapter versus there complete flywheel because I'm using the stock DME injection and I need the sensor ring.
GPR and PMS all recommend the stage 2 pressure plate and disk but I think my clutch tube is flexing somewhere.
Maybe I have a bad pressure plate with extra stiff springs??
For over 10 years I ran the weltmeister clutch cable with my 2.7 six and a stock 2.0 flywheel with no problems.
As soon as I went with the KEP solution the cable started stretching.
I switched to a stock 914-6 cable and most of my problems went away but its still stretching a bit.
My clutch tube was repaired before I bought the car in 86.
Its welded at the rear and two spots along the tunnel.
I can't find where it might be flexing.
First chance I get I'm going to swap the stage 2 with a stage 1 and see if it helps.

If someone has any pointers or experience with this problem I would love to hear about it.

Steve
Brad Roberts
I have at least 8 KEP Stage II cars running around the USA with no known issues (4 of them here in NorCal.)

Steve, that is a weird issue. I would tend to think that the welds at the front of the tube are broken again. The StageII is pretty easy on the leg. You may want to check the throwout bearing also. It may be dragging on the "tube" it slides on. I have to put down some sticky grease on 915 and 930 boxes or the T-out bearing sticks and causes a heavy pedal feal (factory says to do this). The 901 with stock T-out bearing doesnt say anything, but I know you are not running a stock T-out bearing with the StageII setup.

B
Steve
Thanks Brad for the reply and help.
I have also heard nothing but good things about the KEP conversion and stage 2 clutch assembly.
As soon as I get caught up on honey do chores I will take another look at the clutch tube and if that looks ok I will pull the trans and check out the throw out bearing tube.
The clutch problem on my 914 is tolerable and I have had to much fun driving it the last two years to pull it apart.
The KEP conversion and the stock 3.2 has made my 914 the most reliable and trouble free 914 I have ever owned.

thanks again,

Steve
John
agree.gif

Yup, that is what we use on the race car 3.2. It is also Motronic and we use the starter ring from Kennedy. They had us send them the flywheel for the ring (there is some issue with 1987 flywheels???). Anyway, we have been using this setup for the last 12 years with all track miles and no problems (still on the same clutch disk).

Happy motoring.
Brad Roberts
John... you must be slow... laugh.gif same clutch disc ??? laugh.gif

B
John
Nope, we just don't abuse the clutch. No dumping or slipping the clutch allowed or the offender must replace it!

This is with 2 drivers. We are both instructors.
Brad Roberts
Just giving you a hard time. I have seen some pretty amazing stuff over the years when it comes to clutches. Normally "very good" drivers are easy on drivetrain parts. Its the guy's who are NOT smooth who tear up cars.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.