Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at Importing Into Australia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nick.C
Hello 914 World,

I have been looking for quite some time now about getting into a 914.
But being in Australia there really is not much for sale and overpriced if it is.

So I have been looking into importing.

Ideally I would be looking for a 70 or 71 model as they would be easier to register here, although really I would be happy with any model.

Basically I am looking for a solid body with as minimal rust as possible.
Engine would not need to be running well or at all as I plan on rebuilding anyway.
Paintwork will be redone also as well as interior etc.
However I do want a complete car to start with. And especially don't want one which has been cut up or bodywork altered.

Originally I was looking at just importing an already restored/good condition but I think it would be to much money to risk on a sight unseen purchase. So really I am looking for a cheapy I am happy to do some work on but something I can get up and running in a reasonable amount of time.
Spend of US$3k on the initial purchase and then I would have about $12k left for fixing.

Is this reasonable? Can I get it up and running looking good for this price?

Secondly, can anyone refer me to some reputable dealers/sellers?
Anyone here import into Australia before? who did you purchase through?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
edwin
Hi there
Good to see another aussie here.
I bought a 914 project 14 months ago. it had already been imported so i cant give much advice on how to go about it but there are plenty of people advertising in just cars mag and it seems the going price is around $3000 aus landed and taxed.
my car is aug 72 which i am told will need very little for compliance here.
where abouts are you located?
i am in Ballarat Victoria so may be a little different in different states.
i have been talking to hubert gall in Melbourne who has certified several 914's and had the best idea about what needed to be done.
Biggest problem i have had so far is getting a windscreen to replace the one i broke so i have just aranged for a few to be bought in.
any questions drop us a line.
cheers
Edwin
rhd914
HI, I think you will need to contact the Federal Office of Road safety in Canberra and get an approval to import before you bring the car in. It has been a while since I did it and I am not sure if the rules have changed. But that was what I had to do in the past. Good luck, I hope you find a good one.
Geoff.
Nick.C

Hi there
Good to see another aussie here.
I bought a 914 project 14 months ago. it had already been imported so i cant give much advice on how to go about it but there are plenty of people advertising in just cars mag and it seems the going price is around $3000 aus landed and taxed.
my car is aug 72 which i am told will need very little for compliance here.
where abouts are you located?
i am in Ballarat Victoria so may be a little different in different states.
i have been talking to hubert gall in Melbourne who has certified several 914's and had the best idea about what needed to be done.
Biggest problem i have had so far is getting a windscreen to replace the one i broke so i have just aranged for a few to be bought in.
any questions drop us a line.
cheers
Edwin

Thanks.
Yea I am in Sydney, NSW.
$3k landed and taxed sounds pretty good. Is this what you ended up getting?
What sort of condition was it in?
How did it work out.

HI, I think you will need to contact the Federal Office of Road safety in Canberra and get an approval to import before you bring the car in. It has been a while since I did it and I am not sure if the rules have changed. But that was what I had to do in the past. Good luck, I hope you find a good one.
Geoff.

I havn't heard that before
As far as I have worked out I need to contact Dotars for a VIA.
And then get a quarantine inspection when it hits the docks.
If it's 72+ (Im not sure if it includes 72 year or not) I will have to get a engineers report due to a change in Aus vehicle standards at that time.
edwin
there are shipping companies that will arange shipping from the states to your door with fixed prices. these are the way to go. if you organise it yourself it is crazy trying to get all paper work done and if it gets held up at the dock it will cost a fortune.
Make sure you get a car without AC as it will be a huge problem with customs.
engineers report is still needed for post 69 cars i am told. generaly early 914's are dearer so just get one that is in good nick. stay pre impact bumpers though.
Engineers report is around $400 so it is a tiny expense anyway and if you convert to RHD you need it anyway.
i didnt import mine myself i bought it from a guy who had bought 4 in. heaps of rust but it was very well priced and complete.
i know of a really nice rolling shell here localy and the guy was chasing 2k for it with nothing but it was very sound.
cheers
edwin
Nick.C

Yea I have a shipper. Who can organise most of that at a very good price.
So that's really not too much of a worry for me.
It's just finding a car over there without being ripped off or scammed really which worries me.

Is the roller still for sale?
Are there any pics anywhere?
r_towle
It can be found if 3k is your target price.
I suggest you fill it up with parts while its here and ship it fully loaded so you can save on the shipping of the extra parts.

contact Craig at Camp914....I bet he can help you out.

www.camp914.com

He is on the west coast.

Rich
Mike Bellis
I would suggest craigslist.org Look in California or Arizona for rust free cars. There are several below your price point in the San Francisco area. We also have ports to ship it to you.
BigD9146gt
Nick, good'ay mate! You just might be in luck, and we might be able to help each other out! I'm currently in Cali, trying to get Auz Immi to let me back in (I messed up a 457 visa), and work for PR Technology in Brooky. I should hear back from immi in a few weeks, however, I have a 73 gt clone that I too want to import. I know several people who have shipped rolling chassis over for cheap (US$1000 this side), but not sure how much the dock/customs in Botany will charge. I shipped two pallets (TIG welder, tools, and stuff) weighing 700kgs when I moved there last year... US$1400 to ship here, AUS$1200 there. We might be able to ship both cars for a better deal.

I don't think I will ship this car soon, my 2.8RSR motor isn't completely assembled and other parts will probably need to be shipped separately because of their rules and regulations. Its hard to trust someone you've never met, however you now know where I work... and on this board, there are enough people that can vouch for one another. Odds are safe here.

Cheers, Don.
silver74insocal
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 4 2010, 06:31 PM) *

I would suggest craigslist.org Look in California or Arizona for rust free cars. There are several below your price point in the San Francisco area. We also have ports to ship it to you.

Nick.C

I suggest you fill it up with parts while its here and ship it fully loaded so you can save on the shipping of the extra parts.

www.camp914.com

He is on the west coast.

Rich

I am having a look now.

Nick, good'ay mate! You just might be in luck, and we might be able to help each other out! I'm currently in Cali, trying to get Auz Immi to let me back in (I messed up a 457 visa), and work for PR Technology in Brooky. I should hear back from immi in a few weeks, however, I have a 73 gt clone that I too want to import. I know several people who have shipped rolling chassis over for cheap (US$1000 this side), but not sure how much the dock/customs in Botany will charge. I shipped two pallets (TIG welder, tools, and stuff) weighing 700kgs when I moved there last year... US$1400 to ship here, AUS$1200 there. We might be able to ship both cars for a better deal.

I don't think I will ship this car soon, my 2.8RSR motor isn't completely assembled and other parts will probably need to be shipped separately because of their rules and regulations. Its hard to trust someone you've never met, however you now know where I work...

Cheers, Don.

Cheers mate I will keep it in mind.

AUS taxes are 10% GST and 5% duty on the cars value.
And steam cleaning if they think it's necessary.
underthetire
FYI there are several people here that charge a very minimal price to check out 914's. So, if you want to spend 3K, and have 12K to fix it up, why not buy a done car for let say 10K, still leaves room to change it up, but at least you will get to drive it once it is released from port. I'm sure a nicer clean car would get through customs a little easier.

If you want i'll ride in the car on the way over so i could watch for damage. Australia is the one place i've always wanted to go. beer.gif
underthetire
here is one in your price range BTW
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1581882608.html
Have not seen it in person, but it is very local to me.
BigD9146gt
QUOTE(Nick.C @ Feb 4 2010, 08:03 PM) *

www.camp914.com

He is on the west coast.

Rich

I am having a look now.

I don't think I will ship this car soon, my 2.8RSR motor isn't completely assembled and other parts will probably need to be shipped separately because of their rules and regulations. Its hard to trust someone you've never met, however you now know where I work...

Cheers, Don.

Cheers mate I will keep it in mind.

AUS taxes are 10% GST and 5% duty on the cars value.
And steam cleaning if they think it's necessary.

Well, its easy to clean things here and if the final price is written $500, how will they ever know? Bigd9146gt@yahoo.com
Nick.C

Well, its easy to clean things here and if the final price is written $500, how will they ever know? Bigd9146gt@yahoo.com

Yes very sneaky.

According to my shipper 70% of the cars which come in are asked to be re cleaned.
I don't think it is overly expensive though.

FYI there are several people here that charge a very minimal price to check out 914's. So, if you want to spend 3K, and have 12K to fix it up, why not buy a done car for let say 10K, still leaves room to change it up, but at least you will get to drive it once it is released from port. I'm sure a nicer clean car would get through customs a little easier.

If you want i'll ride in the car on the way over so i could watch for damage. Australia is the one place i've always wanted to go. beer.gif

People are misleading at times. I would prefer to do the work myself now anyway.
Plus if I do it myself, I do get to choose what it ends up like.
Your welcome to ride in. Take it for a run once a week on the ships deck.
Keep everything turning over. Sounds good to me.

Elliot Cannon
Here's the one you want mate. I'll even drive it to the docks for ya.
Rick_Eberle
First up, you'll need the title to the car, then an import approval from DoTARS. Don't let it arrive in the country without one.

It WILL need steam cleaning on arrival - you'll be amazed at how expensive that can be. You'll also have to pay for inspections before and after the steam cleaning...

For a 70-72 in Victoria you'll need a Roadworthy, and a VASS certificate. For some reason the VASS guys don't want to touch an unmodified import. Get the list from VicRoads, and if Hubert Gall is still on it, give him a call. He is (or was) in Camberwell. He did my '70 for about $250 in '07. The car needs to meet the ADR's for the year it was built. For a '70 & '71, that means it needs seatbelts - three point, lap, or harness. Brake lines have to be ADR compliant - US DOT works, stainless braided does not.

If you leave it left hand drive, you'll need a mirror on the right side.

'72 on gets a little harder, but still pretty straightforward.

EDIT -> I just saw that you're in NSW... so forget the VASS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.