Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help deciding on new springs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
I have finally (i think) narrowed down a very annoying noise to the springs on my car. they are pretty old so replacing them would be a good idea. I do not, however, know what kind to get or even where to start, so of course I come here. I have adjustable konis(dont know if that makes a difference). I'm looking for springs that will make a comfortable ride. I dont auto cross and most of the driving is just around town or freeway enjoying the car, so what would everyone recommend? What price region am i looking at? Where is a good place to locate springs? I would prefer to start with HPH, but if not there, where? Thanks in advance!
Brad Roberts
The 100's work very well in a street car. Not too harsh..just right.

Do you have the yellows ?? Did we sell them to you ??LOL

B
biosurfer1
I couldnt tell you if you sold them to this car or not, they were on when i bought it , but in fact they are the red's:lol: laugh.gif

is there anything else that would/should be bought when replacing springs?
Brad Roberts
You are kinda limited with the Reds. We dont have a threaded collar setup that allows you to run the 2.5 inch ID 10inch length springs. I'm not even sure if Weltmeister sells a 100 rate spring.

The Reds I have seen all have a welded perch on them for the lower spring mount. They came with a plastic spacer that was placed under the lower perch. We would shave them down to corner weight the cars back in the day.

Hey.. what happened to driving that bad boy over to the shop ? We are slow in the service department right now (not slow in the long term projects)

B
weird_looking_cactus
I have a questions my springs are blue so what type are they street.
Brad Roberts
Blue huh.. 99% of the Weltmeister springs are Black.

I know a few places used to sell blue springs in the 200# variety.

Is your car VERY stiff in the rear when you push down on a rear fender ?

Oh.. shoot a pic of a spring. Eibach's and H&R's are blue.

B
weird_looking_cactus
Yep my car is kinda stiff when I press down on back compared to my mazda. I also think someone made my car lower then stock cause I can only fit my arm under my car. I have to jack the car up from the back then put then get another jack and put it on were your suppose to jack the car up on the side.
biosurfer1
brad...i have had zero time to get over there, which is #1 on the list, so it shows you how much i've gotten done. I want to get a list of everything i want done so i can get it done in one shot. i have met several 914's around here and have told them to take their cars to you, need to take my own advice...i have a week break in april, hopefully i'll have time then...i'll have to pm you...and you completely lost me about the springs, but at least i know you can handle that(is there anything you dont laugh.gif ) so we can go over that later, its just a very annoying noise and makes my car sound like its going to fall apart anytime, which hopefully it wont. thanks for the help, i'll be in touch.
Brad Roberts
No hurries.. I was busting your balls.

b
biosurfer1
i know...glad you have been around more, i hope things are working out at the store... i'm sure i'll be around a lot over the summer!
mike_the_man
I have a question about springs also. I have Bilstein shocks, and I was thinking about getting some #140 springs. The shocks don't have adjustable perches, so will this combo work?

Thanks,
Dave_Darling
You can get 100s or 140s for stock-type shocks and spring perches. No problem. 140s will make a car with otherwise stock suspension somewhat tail-happy; I suggest going to a larger front sway bar than stock if you do that.

Actually, with 100s I would suggest going with a stock front sway bar (unless you want the aftermarket adjustable kind).

Mail-order is another option if you want to DIY and don't want to drive to HPH to buy the parts. Of course, B and Rich would be just as happy to mail you the parts as Tom and Wayne, or Jason from Paragon, or Dave from GPR, or Otto, or.... biggrin.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.