Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: who's going to the 12 hours of Sebring ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
March 20th is fast approaching so who's planning on attending ? I was really hoping to have the 914 ready but I don't think it will be done and on the road. Anyway who's planning on going ?
Vysoc
I am going to the Winter Testing on February 22-23, Unfortunately some guests decided to visit us March 20th weekend, I am in negotiations with the wife. We used to go for the entire week, but economic and work times are different now. I have been working on my 914 for 3 years, winter testing will be my first run to mecca for baby. Sebring is really a special race it will be intersting to see what the list of competitiors looks like this year.

Vysoc driving.gif
carr914
I'll be there.

T.C.
rfuerst911sc
TC will you be camping again this year ? Same spot ? I'll be driving down early Saturday morning.
SGB
I decided to go to the Grand Am / IRL event at Barber in Birmingham this time. I've got reservations for the Inn on the Lake in Sebring this year, but I'll have to cancel 'em. My budget can't afford both...
Zimms
I'll be in the North paddock at #115.
vintage914racer
Illl be there.
Jasfsmith
A remote chance that I'll be attending, as I'll be visiting my folks in St. Pete for a couple of weeks.
carr914
Only 35 Cars entered sad.gif

Click to view attachment
URY914
In the 1984 there were 84 cars started. Of course the DEA hadn't started to crack down yet....
Zimms
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 2 2010, 10:58 PM) *

Only 35 Cars entered sad.gif

I would be surprised to see Creation. It sounds like they have some cash flow issues.

It also sounds like Audi has 2 cars that meet the specifications, but they are going to sit the race out, and only test the cars the week following the race. sad.gif
rfuerst911sc
I got my ticket in the mail last week. I ponied up for the Porsche corral parking so I'll be there in my Quartz gray 911SC. We should pick a time and place to meet before the race starts. I suggest 9:00.......but where ?
carr914
Formula Atlantics yesterday called an end to their season before it even started. I guess it will give other classes extra practice time

T.C.
carr914
Audi released pictures of its R15Plus , which will be doing a 12 Hours test next Monday at Sebring. I just don't get it - Audi brings all it's equipment, drivers, engineers, support, etc - but doesn't race in 2nd most important sportscar race in the world. screwy.gif

Click to view attachment
Zimms
agree.gif
Really a shame. I read that they haven't tested it enough, but I figured with Peich as captain of the ship there would be a little more drive to competition and less market posturing. I am still holding out some hope they are on the grid.

Maybe they want to keep their cards close to their chest for a June frog wuppin'?

Any meetings spots? I typically watch the start from the outside exit of turn 1. Suspension loading at its best!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
Lead Intersport driver in terrifying testing crash

Intersport Racing’s Jon Field was released from a Sebring, Fla., hospital Monday night, hours after a horrific crash during testing for this weekend’s opening round of the 2010 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón.

Field, testing for the 58th Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida, was taken to Highlands Regional Medical Center following an accident in which his AER-powered Lola B06/10 LMP1 race car got airborne and flipped several times between Turns 9 and 10 of the 3.7-mile, 17-turn Sebring International Raceway circuit.

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 4 2010, 08:02 PM) *

March 20th is fast approaching so who's planning on attending ? I was really hoping to have the 914 ready but I don't think it will be done and on the road. Anyway who's planning on going ?

Made it to St. Pete. Unfortunately I have no means to get to the race.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Zimms @ Mar 16 2010, 10:29 AM) *

Maybe they want to keep their cards close to their chest for a June frog wuppin'?

That would be my guess.
smg914
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Mar 16 2010, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 4 2010, 08:02 PM) *

Made it to St. Pete. Unfortunately I have no means to get to the race.

If you don't go to the race, you may want to stop by "Cars and Coffee" Saturday morning at 7:00am to 9:00am. Its held at the DuPont Registry off of Ulmerton Road (on the left) just North of I-275. They have a couple of hundred cars show up the third Saturday of each month.
smg914
Well it looks like I will stop by the 12 hour race afterall. I'll be driving down with a friend in his new Corvette. Since I'll be the passenger, I will have to go along with his schedule.

1. Leave Tampa at 6:30am and head over to Cars and Coffee in St Petersburg.

2. Leave Cars and Coffee around 8:00 or 8:30 and head down to Sebring.

3. Leave Sebring around 3:00 and head to Plant City to attend another car show.

4. Leave Plant City car show and head home to Tampa.
carr914
Good Luck with that schedule Steve - Ain't never gonna happen, especially if you stop by the T.C. compound ( drunk.gif smoke.gif drunk.gif ), that's right, I'm confirmed in.

Same Bat Time, Same Bat Place

T.C.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 16 2010, 03:41 PM) *

Good Luck with that schedule Steve - Ain't never gonna happen, especially if you stop by the T.C. compound ( drunk.gif smoke.gif drunk.gif ), that's right, I'm confirmed in.

Same Bat Time, Same Bat Place

T.C.

TC you going to be camping in the same spot ? Glad to hear you can make it ! We will hook up on Saturday sometime. beerchug.gif
carr914
Yep, between turn Turn 2 ( there is no such thing) and Turn 5

beerchug.gif
Jasfsmith
Still a remote chance that I'll be attending the race. Anyone care to PM their cell number that we might me up?

If not I surely will take in the Cars & Coffee gathering.
URY914
36 cars entered.

I say 22 will take the checkered flag.
URY914
Makes you feel like you are there......

Click to view attachment
URY914
I'm watching it on SPEED. The battle seems to be in the GT class with the Vettes, Ferrari and Porsches. Pole winning GT BMW was found to be was bounced to the back for the start. Great Florida weather.
smg914
Well our planned day turned out great. First, Cars and Coffee in St Pete, then 12 Hours of Sebring, left Sebring at 5:00 and drove to the car show in Plant City. Got home around 8:30 just in time to watch the last 2 hours of the race on Speed.

An absolutely beautiful day. In my opinion, Sebring didn't seem nearly as crowded as years past. Also, not enough cars on the track.
URY914
Pretty dull race at the front. Two Pugs running like frieght trains for 12 hours.
Zimms
Definitely not the nail biter other Sebrings have been. The sound that the Aston put out made the trip worth it! Damn, that car sounded great!

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
I had a great time and agree the Aston Martin has a wonderful sound to it. Would have liked a larger car count but the economy has taken its toll, hopefully car counts will come up. The GT battle was a good one. Met up with TC and shared some stories. I met lots of nice people in the Porsche corral and had some great conversations. But I had a verbal run in with the dick guarding the Jaguar corral. First off the Jag corral was large but only had about 20 cars in it so it was empty. To get to the Porsche corral the path of least resistance was going through the Jag. This dick stops me and asks where you going ? I said I'm walking to my car in the P corral. He asks for my pass and I show him. And he asked me 6 more times during the day headbang.gif . I finally told him I wasn't impressed with him guarding the empty space and what was he afraid of......that the grass is going to get matted down ? The guy with him started laughing which pissed dick head off even more. The rest of the day as I went by him I smiled and chuckled but he didn't ask for the pass any more.
And I agree that the crowd size seemed smaller than in the past, once again I think economy driven. Porsche corral was full though beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.