Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I ship a widsheild??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
I need some advice on shipping a windsheild. How should I pack it? Who should I ship through? Anyone here ever ship one before? unsure.gif

thanks,
Hiedi
Brad Roberts
I have not successfully shipped one, but you have to figure they where "shipped" to the local glass guy somehow. I would suggest contacting a local windshield place and seeing if they will sell/give you a shipping box that they removed a windshield from.

B
GWN7
I think the popular consensus from earlier threads was go to a auto glass store and ask them for the packing crates they get theirs in. They usually throw them out. Greyhound.
morph
have not successuflly? brad
got a horror story there. btw great advice
Brad Roberts
I gave up after trying to ship them in the past. I had two broken prior to arrival. There are just some things that should be bought new. I feel the windshield is one of them.

B
rick 918-S
I purchased a windshied from Moss Motors for the MGA. They wrapped the glass in plastic inside a windsheild box then used expanding foam to fill the voids. I think you can get the stuff from a boat supply store. the foam was inside plastic bags not directly in the box. not every inch of the box was filled either. Shipped from California.
Mark Henry
Just go smash.gif

Then it will fit in a smaller box happy11.gif

I can still get a new windshield here in Canada for about $175, a buddy just got one.
GWN7
Mark,

From who? I was quoted $225 installed and when they checked it went to $550 because they had to ship it in from Atlanta.
Mark Henry
I forget who Mike said he got it from. I phone him and get back to you tonight. He can be hard to get a hold of sometimes.
Mark Henry
OKā€¦same boat, no crate.

He can get them, but I was a bit off, $200 new (+tax) or he has a used one for $100.

He has tried to ship one out west once before smash.gif

Crating would be extra, no guarantee, must be signed that you know the risk and paid up front. He would document the crating (pics) but you would need insurance. Shipping will not be cheap.

Get this, the new windshields are made in china. wacko.gif
SLITS
Big box, wrap in plastic, support bottom, top, sides, front & rear with styrofoam (from the monitor you jest bought), fill remainder with closed cell foam (avaiable by the rattle can at you local "fix your house" store. If they break it, they ran a forklift over it.

Oh BTW, you might wanna charge for "handling" to pay for the medical bills from the curing closed cell foam lol3.gif
GWN7
Mark,

thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I think the 71 needs one (can't remember) and it's up at the farm. It will be another month before I can get to it. China? Mainland or Taiwan? smile.gif
Aaron Cox
i was quoted 400 for a PPG and like 274 for a chinese one.....
JWest
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Mar 25 2004, 08:06 AM)
They wrapped the glass in plastic inside a windsheild box then used expanding foam to fill the voids. I think you can get the stuff from a boat supply store. the foam was inside plastic bags not directly in the box. not every inch of the box was filled either.

Same type of packing when I ordered one for a Jag long ago.
morph
This has been super helpful, I think that I can make this work now (although it sounds like its going to be a big pain). smile.gif
rhodyguy
insure it for replacement value. old aa cat $250 replacement, $609 and $744 genuwine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.