Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition only question ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Well, can't answer on the megajolt, I use Megasquirt. What I do know about the MS system is it will read the map sensor to either advance or retard the timing based on load and rpm.

Just my .02

And yes you can use the MS2V3.0 for timing only.
Mark Henry
The Ford EDIS is the "bolt on"simple basic install with both systems but you can mod almost any 12V coilpack to work.
jimkelly
is it my choice to use either a throttle pos sensor - or a - manifold press sensor - or are both typically needed?

McMark
The Ford EDIS ignition module is designed to work with a 36 tooth wheel, with 1 missing tooth to act as a synchronization reference for engine Top Dead Center.

Which means my sensor works great for this.

Relying on Jake's experience with the Mechanical Advance ONLY Mallorys, I would say that you probably won't need any load sensing. Just approximate the Mallory curve into the MegaJ software and it should act like you've got a Mallory installed.

If you want to use load sensing, I would opt for vacuum based sensing. The TPS is more work to install and is a rather indirect way to approximate load.
jimkelly
thanks

i see that the megajolt offers both tps or mps input.

http://www.boostengineering.net/product_p/megajoltli.htm

jim
McMark
TPS hookup is just a wiring hook up and appears to be included in all the setups. The MAP sensor is an additional component that can be left off the circuit board at build time, to save a few bucks.

Using MAP or TPS is a software configurable option, so if you get the MAP version of the hardware box you have an unrestricted box whether you use the sensors or not. I would spend the extra $20 for that flexibility, just in case.

That being said, if you're going for non-load sensing, you can get either box and they'll work the same.
DBCooper
Get the MAP sensor, unless you have a big cam with huge overlap it's well worth it. Makes the car almost modern to drive.
McMark
MAP = vacuum advance

in this case anyway...
jimkelly
repost - with edis hooked up to megajolt - are all four spark plugs sparking everytime one plug actually needs spark for combustion?

thanks again!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 6 2010, 09:02 AM) *

with edis hooked up to megajolt - are all four spark plugs sparking everytime one plug actually needs spark for combustion?

Wasted spark so 2 would fire at once.
Of course I'm not an MS expert but that's what happens on the SDS where it has one GM coil for every two cylinders.
McMark
Sparking all four at once would never run. It's a wasted spark system which means each spark plug fires on the TDC of compression stroke and TDC of exhaust stroke.
jimkelly
ok - seems clear to me - vr sensor needs to be mounted 9 teeth from the missing tooth on a 36 tooth trigger wheel, with engine at TDC, in order to use megajolt lite jr and edis.

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehic...tallation_guide

everyone agree?

does a type 4 turn clockwise or counter clockwise?

jim
904svo
You could use Megasquirt for timing only, I use a 36 tooth wheel and a HALL
sensor not a VR sensor. This connects directly to the Megasquirt and has a
12x12 table to set your timing. the kit also includes a map sensor which is used
with the timing table. At a later date you can convert to FI if you wish.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.