Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another wheel, tire, flare question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
2 questions-

When I flare my car, I'm going from a 2.0 alloy 5.5x15 with 205x60x15 tires. I would like to keep the tire diameter the same on a 7x15 wheel and 225 tire. Would I use 50, 55 or 60 series tires?

I think a 7 inch wheel and 225 tire might still have too much space between the tire and inside of the flare. Is there a spacer made that will fit a 4 lug wheel? I have read that the 4 lug hub takes a special lip on the wheel.

Thanks, Mark
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2010, 12:41 PM) *

2 questions-

When I flare my car, I'm going from a 2.0 alloy 5.5x15 with 205x60x15 tires. I would like to keep the tire diameter the same on a 7x15 wheel and 225 tire. Would I use 50, 55 or 60 series tires?

I think a 7 inch wheel and 225 tire might still have too much space between the tire and inside of the flare. Is there a spacer made that will fit a 4 lug wheel? I have read that the 4 lug hub takes a special lip on the wheel.

Thanks, Mark

205 / 55x 15 in the front and 225/50x15 in the rear. If you can find a set of eights in the rear it would be better. Same tire size. AND you can use 21mm wheel spacers front and rear as well to really fill out the wells
mepstein
Ok, I appreciate the answer, it all makes sense and would be easy to do if I had 5 lugs but I was hoping to do it with stock 4 lugs. Finding the 8 inch wheels in a 15 size has been difficult and I was told the 4 lug hubs take a special lip. on the wheel. Is there a 1 or 2 inch spacer made for 4 lug hubs?

I guess 2nd choice is to have front and rear hubs drilled for 5 lug.

GeorgeRud
I'd strongly recommend switching to the five lug pattern, you'll be happy you did and your wheel choices are much wider.

Plus, 5 lug wheels just look right with the flaired fenders!
mepstein
I wanted to use Superlite wheels. I like the look. Any body know about spacers for 4 lug wheels? Does it take something special?
Eric_Shea
If you can find a set of eights in the rear it would be better. Same tire size. AND you can use 21mm wheel spacers front and rear as well to really fill out the wells

I assume you're talking 8" Fuchs? There is only one 8x15" (classic polished paddle, what we all refer to as a Fuchs) Fuchs.

I double-dog dare you to get one, stick a 225/50x15 on there with a 21mm spacer and report back. I don't think that's going to happen.

wink.gif

Mark, have you checked the tire calculator here on the site? Under 914 Info I believe. Handy tool.
mepstein
Didn't know about the tire calculator - thank you.
Will my 4 lugs work with longer studs?
jimkelly
you can get these in 4 lug 15" in varying widths and colors

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/pro.html
orange914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 6 2010, 04:17 PM) *

I'd strongly recommend switching to the five lug pattern, you'll be happy you did and your wheel choices are much wider.

pun intended! biggrin.gif

acording to this site the 225x55x15 is exactly the same dia. (24.7")

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2010, 09:14 PM) *

I wanted to use Superlite wheels. I like the look. Any body know about spacers for 4 lug wheels? Does it take something special?

Superlites use a special Lug Nut. You would to have studs put on your hubs

T.C.
mepstein
Are the longer studs an off the shelf item?

So my latest thought is 7x15 wheels, 215x55x15 tires. 21mm spacers. Almost the same diameter (.4inches less) and should fill out the flared wheelwell.

Yes, I am being sort of difficult with my insistance of staying 4 lug.
carr914
No, but I would do 7&8s. Various Stud lengths up to 100mm

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.