Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: inherited an almost basket case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I copied this from the other site. I haven't been on either forum for the last year, so I posted it there, but then I see there was only 7 people loged on there and 200 here. WOW! I guess I missed something, huh?confused24.gif Anyway, here it is.

Got another 914 with a story. I met a guy about ten years ago with one of the roughest 914's I'd seen. The paint was faded, it had a 34 weber, smoked rolled out the tail pipe, Half the parts weren't even 914 parts. The engine lid had some kinda ford truck hinges. I could write a short book. We became good friends and slowly but surely I got the car to be a dependable daily driver for him (60 miles everyday). We replaced all the missing and improper parts, rebuilt the 1.7L, found a good FI, Turbo tie rods, new brakes and MC, color sanded the paint, new ss gas lines. trunk floor replacement, etc. He then decided to return it to its original white color. He found a guy to do the job, and half way thru the paint job the painter decides he wants to buy it from my friend. They made a deal, and my friend bought a 911 targa. Haven't seen the car since it went to the body shop and get a call a few days ago that the guy who bought it had finished painting it but had lost interest in it and just wanted it out of his shop. I got the car for the wrecker fee!!!!! The car has been about half dismantled. Interior is stripped, most of the rubber was pulled off, and about everything else that needed to be removed for paint.
At least he painted it completly. Door jambs, inside trunks, wheel wells, The engine bay was never painted red on the first repaint, so they didn't pull the engine. What I can't figure out is why they removed the relay board and fuse box from a running vehicle?

I put a new relay board in it and a battery. Turned the key and nothing. Starter and engine turn by jumping solenoid. 14 pin connector has power at 14 and 12 pins, there is power to the fuse box, but no power at the #9 fuse, and #8 pin at the 14 pin connection. Where to look next? Key switch?

I know if I hear it run, I'll get motivated to get her back on the road.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Make sure the harness connectors front and rear of the relay board are plugged in squarely (meaning not one set of pins off) then pry off both covers while leaving the plug installed. Put a working test light to pin 6 in the rear (yellow wire) crank the car and see if it lights. If so go to the yellow lead on the solenoid and repeat the test. If not go to the front connector pin 1 and repeat the test. If the light lights the relay board is bad. If not then it is the ign switch or if a 74 early 75 maybe the seat belt relay under the passenger seat.
Gint
Welcome back! Sounds like a nice sore. Definitely check the ignition switch. And get post some pics!
Rav914
...sorry I misread something.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 6 2010, 03:39 PM) *

Make sure the harness connectors front and rear of the relay board are plugged in squarely (meaning not one set of pins off) then pry off both covers while leaving the plug installed. Put a working test light to pin 6 in the rear (yellow wire) crank the car and see if it lights. If so go to the yellow lead on the solenoid and repeat the test. If not go to the front connector pin 1 and repeat the test. If the light lights the relay board is bad. If not then it is the ign switch or if a 74 early 75 maybe the seat belt relay under the passenger seat.

Already checked the #6 on the 12 pin. Nothing. I will check the front #1 tomorrow. Wouldn't no power at the #8 pin or at the #9 fuse indicate the key switch, or am I reading the schematic wrong?

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 6 2010, 04:02 PM) *

Welcome back! Sounds like a nice sore. Definitely check the ignition switch. And get post some pics!

Thanks Gint, I've been hanging out at a bbq forum, but I think I'll be back more often. I'll post pics later today.
rick 918-S
welcome.png (back)

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks Sir Rick. here ya go(if I can remember how to post a pic).
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
clap56.gif boldblue.gif Nice score! Clean it up and tweek the wiring!
Katmanken
Good find!

Now, make it run.

What kind of wheels are those?

They've got a lot of fins....

Ken
TheCabinetmaker
some kinda empi's i think
ClayPerrine
Hey Curt... glad you are back..

Nice car. When are you going to put the wooden bumpers on it?? poke.gif

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2010, 10:58 PM) *

Hey Curt... glad you are back..

Nice car. When are you going to put the wooden bumpers on it?? poke.gif

lol-2.gif chair.gif ar15.gif slap.gif KMA.gif bootyshake.gif finger.gif beer.gif devil.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Ok, Nothing at #6 on 12pin conn, nothing on #1 on 14 pinn conn. Replaced ign sw. gen light and oil pressure light comes on now. Power at # 8 on 14 pin. No fuel pump power. jumped from pump fuse to #13 pin, fuel pump runs. Still no power at # 1 pin. have power at tach, and spark at points. New switch also gave power to # 8 & 9 fuse, 1 thru 8 power up with light switch. Also have power to both fuses on relay board. The 4 pin connector that goes to the ECU has power at I &III, but not at II & IV

I jumped the fuel pump and turned over the engine by shorting the solenoid, but no start. I think I flooded it. Need another body to help.
TheCabinetmaker
Woo-Hoo!!!!!! Making progress. Its now cranking on its own with the key, and has spark. Fuel pump still does come on, but confirmed does pump with a hot wire. Have power at the fuse on relay board, but nothing at the #13 pin.
rick 918-S
Based on the amount of work you did to the car when your friend owned it I'm sure once you figure it out you will have a great car! I'm sure the no start is why the body shop gave up on the car and pushed it asside. popcorn[1].gif
TheCabinetmaker
You nailed it Rick. I just wish he had called me instead of removing shit and throwing them in a box!!!!!!!

Ok, I have fuel, and it cranks, but no start yet. Have not confirmed that injectors are firing. I'll check that next. They do click when throttle is opened. Also need to check spark at plugs.
TheCabinetmaker
Injectors are not opening, so no gas as of yet. Time to ck the diz.
TheCabinetmaker
Well, still have no gas. All looks right with the trigger points. I'll keep pluging along.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh boy, here we go. This morning I hooked up my fuel pressure gauge. Guess what? No pressure! Guess why? No regulator!!!!!!!!! You heard me right. There is no pressure regulator. WTF.gif Fucking idiots!!!!!!!!!! ar15.gif Its good thing I have over 10,000 spare parts on shelves and in boxes.
TheCabinetmaker
piratenanner.gif Persistance always wears down resistance! Installed a regulator, guage reading 29 lbs. engine is running smooth as silk. Idles at 900, pops to 5K with no hesitation. smilie_pokal.gif I'm a happy boy!

Now i'm motivated to put this puppy back together, get her on the road, and possibly put a for sale sign on it.
rick 918-S
WTG Curt! Glad you got it going! aktion035.gif
markb
aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.