Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
So I have been running Falken Azenis for last 5 years...205/50 -15's and they have been very good for me.

My only issue is speedo and odometer is off ~10% (top speed too). This helps in autoX and it drops my gearing and tightens the ratio. (9.1% per tire calculator bu

What do you all recommend for tires these days, between track events and autoX it is time, even if mileage is only ~ 10k. What is "best tire" these days? Hear Yokohama's are really good too, Love the grip of these Azenis, and rarely see rain, this is sunny day car.

Second do I go with 195/65 -15 since I don't autoX and track that much any more? Or Second, can I re-gear 5th to put it back where it should have been on top-end and re-cal the speedo? Just expensive way to do it.....

What other options do I have?

Will 205/65-15 fit? What is best 195/65-15 option?

Thanks
Whiplash
yeahmag
I'm *still* running my Falken 215's, but my next set of tires will be Kumho Ecsta XS 205-50-15.
EdwardBlume
I had the former Kuhmo "soft" street / ax tires and they were excellent. Lasted a season of street and 7-8 autocrosses. Very soft. I used 205-50s.

I've also used Yokos, but have not had enough drive time to have an opinion. I'm actually toying with SR 165s as an option....
BMXerror
I'm running the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec tires. It's a mouth-full, but it's a damn good tire. I run 195/55/15s, and am able to keep up with 205 cars regularly (I autocross every month with SCCA). I've raced other cars with the Kumhos (not 914s). Very good tire in terms of lateral grip. Not so much in terms of longitudinal grip. I'm also not a big fan of the feel. The Dunlops let go nice and smooth, where as the Kumhos drop kick you rather rapidly (in comparison). I think either tire can be equally as fast with seat time. It's a preference thing, and the Kumhos are a little bit cheaper. I also raced in the rain with the Dunlops, and they did DAMN WELL for a 'summer tire'. I would recommend either one.
Mark D.
blitZ
I have 205/55/15 on my car, which gets you closer to stock tire height while retaining a wide stance. Not many brands have this size available. I have Yokohama S-Drives, nothing fancy, just a decent street tire.
DBCooper
Second vote for the Direzza. I'm also on the Azenis, but only because the Direzza's my size weren't in stock locally when I needed them. I've heard only good things about the Direzza's.
Zundfolge
I've currently got Yokohama AVS Intermediates on mine in 205/50-15, and really like them. But they need to be replaced and Yokohama doesn't make the AVS Intermediate anymore (Apparently its been replaced with the S-Drive).

Thing is I can't afford $500 for a set of tires right now (and that's what they'd be installed at Discount Tire).

So are the Kuhmo's decent? Would anyone here take a set of Kuhmo's over Yokohamas? (I can get a set of Kuhmo ECSTA ASTs for $375ish).

I haven't run anything but Yokos on my last three cars (including an awesome set of A008s that were on the 914 when I bought it).
qa1142
any other thoughts guys?
r_towle
195/60/15 give you a great ride and its close to the right speedo setting.

205 width is nice, but you will rub (every car is different..YMMV) most likely in the rear or on the inner front fender.

205/50/15 in most tires (all have different profiles) will fit with not rubbing, but as I said..some do rub.

If you are no longer autoxing on a regular basis, go with the 195/60/15. It fits the wheel well much better and fills it in nicely.
You get a taller sidewall for a better and less harsh ride.

Khumos are a great tire for the money...that is this years set for me.
In Illinois I would suggest you stear clear of "extreme summer performance tires" due to the fact that they suck for traction at any temps below 50 degree...and cold rain is a roller coaster ride.

Rich
zonedoubt
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 10 2010, 07:56 AM) *

195/60/15 give you a great ride and its close to the right speedo setting.

Isn't 195/65/15 even closer to stock size? Or is it an availability issue for that size?
r_towle
You get limited with any of the sizes....lol

I go to a great guy that always tracks me down something that works.

I think your right that 195/65 is closer but to me it starts to get a little to thin...

Rich
Lavanaut
+1 for these 195/60/15s (couple reviews if you follow the link too)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...year++eagle++gt

Reid
PeeGreen 914
Personally love the Toyo RA1s. I ran Hossiers at the AXs last year until they hit cords and was still amazed at how good my 3 year old RA1s did when I put them on. Best of all they aren't that expensive for what you're getting.
dlo914
-Dunlop Star Specs
-Hankook RS2 or 3 (if the 2's are still avail, great bang for the buck)
-Falken 512
-BF Goodrich G Force Sport (too bad the KDW2's don't come in 15's awesome dry/wet traction)
-Fuzion Zri
-Sumitomo HTR III (friends have been raving about this tire)
-Federal SS595 (what i have on my IS300 DD, great in dry, moderate in wet)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.