Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Temp sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
So I've just realized that my 73 2.0 has never had a Head temp sensor. Do I need one? Where do i get it? Car use is street right now, wiht maybe some aX in the future.
~Ross
dr914@autoatlanta.com
if your car has carbs it does not need one. If your car has fuel injection then it must have one. Maybe if you cannot find it it is on the drivers side head instead of the passenger side. Often heads are switched during rebuild causing the problem.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 8 2010, 12:46 PM) *

Maybe if you cannot find it it is on the drivers side head instead of the passenger side. Often heads are switched during rebuild causing the problem.

Ya, If you use a Chiltons as a guide they show the head temp sensor on the left head instead of the right head. At least the edition I used when I built my first type IV about 20 years ago. Easy to get that wrong. Ask me how I know...
VaccaRabite
D-jet won't work right w/o one, so it had one at some point.

Even if you have carbs now, its a good idea to know what your head temps are doing. Its a window into the health and tune of your car.

Zach
rnellums
I'm running 40 IDFs right now with no real plans to go back to FI, but it seems like a good idea to know what the temp is. So where to buy?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 8 2010, 04:21 PM) *

I'm running 40 IDFs right now with no real plans to go back to FI, but it seems like a good idea to know what the temp is. So where to buy?

You can get and aftermarket vdo head temp sensor/sender (spark plug #3) and gauge at Pelican Parts, The are digital gauges w/ sender made by dakota that are more accurate..
underthetire
I don't see how you could even use a stock head temp sensor with anything but the FI. The head temp gauges use a thermocouple, totally different animal. The stock one is not very linear either, major change at 350 deg from what I see.
VaccaRabite
Yeah, you need to get a spark plug sender and thermocouple wire to run to the gauge.

I am using the Dakota Digital one, but the VDO also works (but is not temperature compensated.)

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.