Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 round air filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
I have a 1.7 standard airbox (well it actually has a couple of splits in it, and the U piece is broken too...) Anyone got one in mint condition??

What filters fit it as I can't source the original VW parts anywhere? sad.gif

Or should I just dump it and fit the Msds/Pelican cone filter?

Thankyous.
dlo914
Iono, but here in the states you can get a paper replacement filter from Autozone or eBay. I recall purchasing one @ Autozone when i use to work there.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 8 2010, 01:57 PM) *

I have a 1.7 standard airbox (well it actually has a couple of splits in it, and the U piece is broken too...) Anyone got one in mint condition??

What filters fit it as I can't source the original VW parts anywhere? sad.gif

Or should I just dump it and fit the Msds/Pelican cone filter? (Is this a good quality filter btw - it's not going to K&N my engine is it??)

Thankyous.

I don't like the cone filters too much noise and actually take away power off the line. You could go back to the oil bath of the 70-72 variety or get one of the plastic ones from a 411 or a bus. They seem to be more common than the 73 only 914 variety. the mounting bracket with the legs are a dime a dozen
Rod
Thankyou Dr, very interesting that the cone looses power at take-off. I really don't want to go teh oil bath route, so I'll take care of the one I have. I'll take the filter out, give it a measure and see if I can find an alternative...

Thanks.

914Sixer
The round paper filters are NLA. Go to theSamba and look up 411/412 classifieds, there was a lot of 3 new ones for $40.
Rod
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 8 2010, 10:41 PM) *

The round paper filters are NLA. Go to theSamba and look up 411/412 classifieds, there was a lot of 3 new ones for $40.

Thankyou. I emailed him already earlier today!
ThinAir
I bought a replacement at the local Auto Zone - unfortunately the car is with my son in Phoenix so I'll have to call him to get the number. The Fram and STP filters that I found fit perfectly and cost next to nothing.
surfbus66
NAPA can match one for you. They can look one up by the measurements of the old one.
Mr Pharmacist
Good question Rod - something i've been thinking about on my 1.7 recently too.

I been thinking of changing my oil bath for an original paper air filter type (assumin gi could find one), but is the consencus here that i should stick with my oil bath type?
Rod
QUOTE(Mr Pharmacist @ Feb 17 2010, 12:43 PM) *

I been thinking of changing my oil bath for an original paper air filter type (assumin gi could find one), but is the consencus here that i should stick with my oil bath type?

Hey Mr Pharmacist! Welcome over to 914 world, guessing you go by the same name on DDK??

I'm going to take the filter out, measure it and email a few people and see if any other filters fit, then I'll post the part number and manufacturer..

The round non air bath filter is unique to just the 1973 models... typical!
ThinAir
The replacement element is a STP SA146. Fram uses a similar number. You should be able to cross reference it to other brands.
Rod
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Feb 17 2010, 06:45 PM) *

The replacement element is a STP SA146. Fram uses a similar number. You should be able to cross reference it to other brands.

smilie_pokal.gif Thank-you Thin Air, I owe you one!

So it's this then - http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=CA146 If you scroll down at the bottom, it lists all the other manufacturers part numbers too!!

What a find, thankyou smile.gif
ThinAir
You're welcome. I'm glad you found that cross reference. Hopefully with all those part numbers you can come up with something. I had not noticed that you were in the UK!
Mr Pharmacist
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 17 2010, 02:08 PM) *

Hey Mr Pharmacist! Welcome over to 914 world, guessing you go by the same name on DDK??

I'm going to take the filter out, measure it and email a few people and see if any other filters fit, then I'll post the part number and manufacturer..

The round non air bath filter is unique to just the 1973 models... typical!

Hi Rod - yes I am the same one - lingering around here trying to find out as much as i can about 914's for my new acqusition!!!
underthetire
QUOTE(Mr Pharmacist @ Feb 17 2010, 04:43 AM) *

I have one, as i'm sure a lot of people here do. Shipping would be $$ to you, and I don't have a good rubber boot. If you need it let me know.
Cap'n Krusty
A year or so ago, I spent considerable time and effort trying to track down a suitable substitute that would both fit and provide the proper surface area and air flow. I settled for a NAPA Gold 2110. It seals properly and has the correct ID, but it offers far too little surface area, IMO. While going through a garage full of stuff and preparing to sell some of his cars, we've come across 3 NOS OE filters for a '73 1.7. 1 is genuine VW, the other 2 are Mann. I'll sell 2. 30 bucks plus shipping, each. I don't anticipate ever getting any more real ones, and I wouldn't use a Fram filter on my bicycle. BTW, we have ONE plastic filter housing, as well.

The Cap'n
Rod
Update. Well after a lot of investigation I have found a filter that fits rolleyes.gif The K&N E1000 is a darn close fit imo. I know that lots of you won't touch these filters, but it was the best I could find that fits the housing. I used to race Minis and have used these for years so don't have a problem with them, just as long as you keep them oiled they are a great filter.

I don't know how long the old filter had been in there, but it was really clogged up, so the new one has gone in today.

So if anyone wants a new filter then this fits..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

For the Attn of Cap'n Crusty - I'm still very interested in both the original filter and the housing, as the U pipe has broken and is being held together with tape atm sad.gif if you could get back to me if you find it please pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.