Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spring is comming.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ME733
Well Spring is comming sometime in the near future ,I hope.(when the rains stop and and the cold weather abates, usually.) Question is ...who would you recommend for "classis Car insurance"., and what experiences have you had with them good or bad. ...Thanks MM.
agentblr
I have not had a policy with them, but I have heard nothing but good things about Hagerty Insurace.
Ferg
I've had Hagerty for many years now, never had to file a claim (knock on wood) but they have been great otherwise.

Ferg
7TPorsh
In the same boat. i am signing up with Heacock Classic. $100 a year for good coverage.
tradisrad
I've used Hagerty for years w/o issues, but no claims either.
I currently have my car on regular insurance because I want to drive it more than the classic policy allows. I will change back someday.
Dr Evil
The big difference I see is whether or not there are imposed limitations on usage and mileage. I have heard that Hagerty does not check mileage and as such can not enforce it.
KELTY360
I've had Hagerty for over 15 years now. The one claim I had they were very easy to deal with. No hassles; even followed up when I didn't get the repair work done right away, just to make sure everything was OK.
HarveyH
Been with Hagerty for a number of years now. Only claim was for a stone through the windshield. Handled quickly and easily. One phone call to call in the claim and one call to tell them where I was having the work done.
Harvey
VaccaRabite
I am using American Modern, as they were a USAA affiliate, and USAA did not want to cover a classic car. Similar to Hagarty in many ways. Have to keep the car in a locked garage, and I am not supposed to drive it over 5000 miles a year - but they don't check, and I doubt that I would anyway.

Zach
zymurgist
I use Grundy Worldwide. No mileage limitations, agreed value coverage, and the agreed value of the coverage automatically increases each year.
Ferg
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 8 2010, 11:21 PM) *

The big difference I see is whether or not there are imposed limitations on usage and mileage. I have heard that Hagerty does not check mileage and as such can not enforce it.

According to my contact at Hagerty, mileage used to go to a event does not count towards your yearly total, So WCC, RRC, or any other club or car event, does not count against you. I just give them a ring before a big trip and let them know where I"m headed.

tat2dphreak
I've always used hagerty, but no claims. also the milage restrictions are for the "recreational" driving. if you are driving it to events or to a shop, it doesn't count... but that doesn't matter because they don't check or enforce it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 8 2010, 10:21 PM) *

I have heard that Hagerty does not check mileage and as such can not enforce it.

Those days are over. dry.gif

New regulations require ALL car insurance companies to now implement a tiered pricing structure on actual miles driven per year.

I'm currently working on a related project ...
shades.gif Andy
7TPorsh
What if the speedo only works when it wants too?
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Feb 9 2010, 12:07 PM) *

Tamper-proof GPS tracking devices for all vehicles ...

shades.gif Andy
ME733
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2010, 03:17 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

................This sounds Like the INSURANCE COMPANY lobbists have paid off our legislators again...!....How can we oppose this?. A required GPS system is an infrengement on personal freedom of movement, use of personal property,and survelance without a court order.! Even Felons being traced, tracked, require a judges court order to allow Authorities to use GPS, and wire taps....(I have a good friend who is a prosecutor, is why I know this stuff.)....MM.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 9 2010, 08:31 AM) *

I am using American Modern, as they were a USAA affiliate, and USAA did not want to cover a classic car. Similar to Hagarty in many ways. Have to keep the car in a locked garage, and I am not supposed to drive it over 5000 miles a year - but they don't check, and I doubt that I would anyway.

Zach

USAA didn't want to insure a classic car? That confuses me seeing how USAA insures both my 914 and my Honda...
Dr Evil
How long has USAA done your 914? Mine was done until I wrecked it and then they gave me shit about "why dont you have collector insurance on it?" I told them that it cost less than a Honda to replace so why should I have restrictive insurance on it. However, collector insurance is waaayyy cheaper. Some will only let you drive to and from a parade or other events. Not to work, not to the store.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 8 2010, 03:35 PM) *

Well Spring is comming sometime in the near future ,I hope.(when the rains stop and and the cold weather abates, usually.) Question is ...who would you recommend for "classis Car insurance"., and what experiences have you had with them good or bad. ...Thanks MM.

Hagerty is best for the classics and AMICA is best for regular insurance.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 05:39 PM) *

How long has USAA done your 914? Mine was done until I wrecked it and then they gave me shit about "why dont you have collector insurance on it?" I told them that it cost less than a Honda to replace so why should I have restrictive insurance on it. However, collector insurance is waaayyy cheaper. Some will only let you drive to and from a parade or other events. Not to work, not to the store.

For almost a year I have had USAA cover my 914. Sure it currently isn't drivable but they said for me to just call them up as soon as I could drive it and they would change my insurance to full coverage that I would need for driving...I didn't even ask to get classic car insurance...It might also be that I am in the military and the fact that USAA customers are mainly military...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 10 2010, 03:30 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 9 2010, 03:17 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

................This sounds Like the INSURANCE COMPANY lobbists have paid off our legislators again...!....How can we oppose this?. A required GPS system is an infrengement on personal freedom of movement, use of personal property,and survelance without a court order.! Even Felons being traced, tracked, require a judges court order to allow Authorities to use GPS, and wire taps....(I have a good friend who is a prosecutor, is why I know this stuff.)....MM.

Well, the GPS request is not tied to a usable identifier like a VIN or such and the GPS data is not stored or collected, but rather used by the device to calculate your mileage, then discarded.
Once a year the insurance company will read out your actual mileage.

The device itself, however IS tied to your VIN and smart enough to recognize if it's unplugged and/or moved to a different car.
shades.gif Andy

PS: Several insurance companies are running large field tests as we speak.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Feb 10 2010, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 05:39 PM) *

For almost a year I have had USAA cover my 914. Sure it currently isn't drivable but they said for me to just call them up as soon as I could drive it and they would change my insurance to full coverage that I would need for driving...I didn't even ask to get classic car insurance...It might also be that I am in the military and the fact that USAA customers are mainly military...

I too have mine insured by USAA. They have insured it since I got it a little over a year ago. It is a daily driver. I have had it towed twice through them. One time the tow truck driver charged me $50 because the car was so low he had to spend an additional 15 minutes placing some wood chocks so as not to screw anything up. I complained to USAA and they sent me a check for my troubles. I have since added tow hooks front and rear so it will be a non issue next time.
Dr Evil
I have had USAA since 96 or so and have no complaints. The only thing is, if you ever total your 914, they will value it very low and then begin asking you why you didnt have collector insurance. Such has been my experience. I have also had a motorcycle insured through them that was totaled 3 times (paid for college and my 914). After the 3rd time, they refused to insure it with full coverage again. wink.gif They no longer accept motorcycles, though. They now have an agreement with Progressive for a lowered premium if you wish to insure a newly purchased bike. All previously insured bikes are still covered so my 2 other bikes are still covered.
PeeGreen 914
I have Hagerty and haven't had any issues.

I can't stand the USAA commercials.

"My grandfather was a colonel in the U.S. Army and he told me the greatest thing he did in serving his country was giving access to the USAA for his family." dry.gif
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 11 2010, 03:43 PM) *

I have had USAA since 96 or so and have no complaints. The only thing is, if you ever total your 914, they will value it very low and then begin asking you why you didnt have collector insurance. Such has been my experience. I have also had a motorcycle insured through them that was totaled 3 times (paid for college and my 914). After the 3rd time, they refused to insure it with full coverage again. wink.gif They no longer accept motorcycles, though. They now have an agreement with Progressive for a lowered premium if you wish to insure a newly purchased bike. All previously insured bikes are still covered so my 2 other bikes are still covered.

Good to know. It sounds like collector insurance would be cheaper anyway if I can get away with the daily driver mileage aspect. By the way the transmission is working flawlesly. I am sure I will get to meet you in person in May in Tahoe. See you there.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Feb 11 2010, 05:51 PM) *

I have Hagerty and haven't had any issues.

I can't stand the USAA commercials.

"My grandfather was a colonel in the U.S. Army and he told me the greatest thing he did in serving his country was giving access to the USAA for his family." dry.gif

Jon
Yeah the commercials for USAA are pretty cheasy. I go through them though because of how well they treat military members. Everytime I have had any issue with my back account or insurance they have never hesitated to help me. Their customer service is the best I have experienced with a bank and they are always very respectful. flag.gif
ME733
Spring is coming ...like Hell!.....I was hoping the cold weather was on the way out, BUT NOOOOOOO Georgia is under 2-4 inches of SNOW!!!!!!!!(4' inches way south of atlanta where I live.)and 2'' farther north in atlanta. temperatures of 22 at night and 34 during the day. the roads are a slushy mess, frozen up. Just heard we have a NEW sleet storm heading our way on monday or tuesday....typically the temperature is in the mid 50,s this time of year where I live....I heard the GLOBAL WARMING conference in washington was cancelled due to SNOW...Frustrated.MM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.