Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear window reflections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
osvolant
I have trouble seeing out my rear window ('76 2.0) because of multiple reflections between the window and the mirror (mostly during the day with top off). Both mirror and glass are stock with no tint or aftermarket films applied. Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there a non-reflective coating I could apply to the inside window? Not interested in a dark tint. Thanks.
lotus_65
i'm annoyed by the same issue regularly.

i obviously don't know any solutions, but i'll be hoping for tips from the crowd!
Mike Bellis
I run a full width 5 panel mirror. I have none of the problems you describe.
black73
I got rid of the interior mirror and added a passenger side exterior mirror. aktion035.gif
bigkensteele
I have the same problem, or at least I did before it went up on jackstands a couple of years ago. I also lose a large part of my rear visibility due to the targa bar, which makes me wonder if my mirror is mounted too high. I am 5' 8", and I think that might also play a role, give the more severe angle vs. a taller driver. I have given thought to mounting it on the dash, similar to some british cars. However, I can't bring myself to do that. I may just mount it lower on the windshield and see if that helps.
silver74insocal
i cant wait until i have this problem lol-2.gif
Rod
Never had this problem...?? It maybe because I live in England though, can I ask - Is the problem only noticeable WHEN THE SUN COMES OUT?? headbang.gif lol-2.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Rod @ Feb 9 2010, 12:19 AM) *

Never had this problem...?? It maybe because I live in England though, can I ask - Is the problem only noticeable WHEN THE SUN COMES OUT?? headbang.gif lol-2.gif

Good one. shades.gif

I mounted my mirror a little off toward the driver from dead center. That changes the angle just a bit so you don't get that "mirror tunnel" effect.

osvolant
Thanks for the responses. I am 6'1" tall and the rear targa bar does block my view even without the reflections. Remounting the mirror lower might help.
914Sixer
I have had the same problem over the last 25 yrs when the sun is just right. For some reason a tinted rear glass was never available from the factory, maybe they did not have the reflection problem or it was not cost effective. My solution is to take the rear glass to a glass shop and have them cut me a tinted one from automotive plate glass. There is two options at this time, regular green tint or smoked (dark).
scotty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I just want to go rear view mirror "commando"
pcar916
Standard problem. Polarized lenses in your sunglasses help. A lot.

Good luck
Drums66
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Feb 22 2010, 07:17 PM) *

Standard problem. Polarized lenses in your sunglasses help. A lot.

Good luck

agree.gif remember to wear Good expensive shades
on sunny days idea.gif popcorn[1].gif

carr914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 22 2010, 09:52 PM) *

For some reason a tinted rear glass was never available from the factory, maybe they did not have the reflection problem or it was not cost effective.

I have to disagree with you Mark. A Tinted rear window was available from the Factory. It has even been said that a Tinted & Heated rear window was never available, but that has been disproven as well. I have one and Gustl has seen one in Europe.

T.C.

Back to the main question, the problem is the angle of the rear window and you have the top off.

One thing I would never do (again), is put aftermarket tint on the rear window. It will cause oncoming headlights to be reflected back at the mirror and then in your eyes
914Sixer
I have never seen a tinted rear window or that option. Tinted glass option only included the front windshield and door glass according to the dealer option guide. Heated glass never was tinted. I would love to see one though.
carr914
Mark it is buried deep, but I will digging out when my car comes back from the painter.

T.C.

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 23 2010, 05:58 PM) *

I have never seen a tinted rear window or that option. Tinted glass option only included the front windshield and door glass according to the dealer option guide. Heated glass never was tinted. I would love to see one though.

Sixer, me niether, I looked hard for either, defrost or not. I had my rear defrost ceramic tinted 'air blue' llamar, actually did the whole car including front even though I had some factory tinted pieces. anbd now they all look uniform and factory as well. Took the all out to do it but worth it, I liked the above idea of having one made but I do not think they would or could do on defrost.. I am curious too.. though probably true..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.