Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anybody know Novell's stuff?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Got a problem with an upgrade. Novell knows it's a bug, but fix not working and they're not helpful.
914werke
Yea I run an mosttly N shop. whats the issue?
PS: writing this from a easychair on my wireless tablet PC while in between sessions at Brainshare smilie_pokal.gif
BCinSC
Apparently there is a bug in the English version of BorderManager upgrade that expires licenses as of 12/12/02. We received the "patch" (multi-lingual version), but still can't access internet - logger complaining that licenses are expired and now Java.NLM is also having a problem.

This is a small law firm with server + 5 systems - 3 lawyers, 1 secretary and one library computer. Lead guy says they were happy with Windows peer networking, but when they ordered Dell server about a year ago, sold Novell SBS along with it. They have no idea what Netware, GroupWise, or BorderManager could do for them and frankly neither do I. I was a Novell man until v5, but all my other customers dropped it. I'm uncertain who came in to do upgrade, Dell or Novell, but they both tell us not their problem now, that the patch *should* fix it (there's customer support for ya!)
need4speed
eh? I could help you with NetWare 3.1x. . .
But my CNE became obsolete when Microsoft shipped NT, and since that time, no company I've worked for has had the slightest interest in Novell. mad.gif

I no longer chase the "certification" carrot.
KaptKaos
Have you gone back to Novell Tech Support? I'd push Dell on it too.

Novell standard practice is to upgrade to latest patches first then call support. Since Dell sold the SBS, you might be able to get help from them.

GroupWise = email/calendar/contacts/etc..
BorderManager = firewall/proxycache/security

If you are using a third party firewall, Sonicwall or some such, no need for BorderManager. Just put the firewall at the edge, make it the default gateway and be done with it. BorderManager is ok when you need to manage Internet access for a large group and you want to do it by user name or user group. For a small firm like this, its likely too much.

Novell Plug: GroupWise is nice because it is not the target of viruses like outlook is. GroupWise does not autorun scripts. It doesn't work as well with PDAs and stuff, but its less to worry about.

- Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.