Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you mount your race seat?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
fasthonda
I plan on using a Kirkey aluminum road race seat. Is it feasible to bolt the stock sliders to the seat bottom and use the stock seat rails? Anyone have experience with this? Recommendations on seats or mounting setups?

Please post pictures of your setups.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael
J P Stein
Yes, it's doable. You'll need to bolt a plate (3/16-1/4 innch Al.) to the bottom of the seat and then bolt the rail to the plate....
These pics aren't to good .... I took no details of it, but there's enuff here to get the idea across.
You might get Brit to take summorebetter ones.

BTW, Hondas are slo. poke.gif
john rogers
I mounted the one I had in the race car solid and it got me about 1 1/2 inches lower which took some getting used to. I did not like the feel of the seat moving due to the mounts. There are some picts in a tech article on the Pelican site.
jhadler
John,

Did you remove the cross bar on the floor to mount your seat? I see that as the biggest impediment to a solid mount.

I'd love to be able to mount my seats (Corbeau Forza) on some kind of slider, and still get them lower.

-Josh2
john rogers
I did not remove the cross box section. I wanted to keep the strength it provided across the floor. The seat I used had a dual piece bottom so the rear part sat on the floor and the front angled part essentially sat on the box section. I never liked the feeling of movement with any of the movable seats I tried and I felt much more solid once the aluminum seat was bolted down. Since I was an old guy, it was a bit hard getting in and out so that forced me to get the steering wheel removable which turned out great. One thing I did eventually that was not in the article was to lower the steering column mount at the bottom of the dash by about an inch since before that the wheel always felt too high.
EdwardBlume
I used a stock slider with a Kirkley seat. The stock pivot points were gone.. so I just bolted them through the floor with massive washers... the seat is low, so I still have problems seeing over the Ginther screen....
grantsfo
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 11 2010, 08:55 PM) *

I used a stock slider with a Kirkley seat. The stock pivot points were gone.. so I just bolted them through the floor with massive washers... the seat is low, so I still have problems seeing over the Ginther screen....

LOL! And I poked up so high I had and extension welded on the cage.
J P Stein
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 11 2010, 08:55 PM) *

The driver's side is mounted similar to the Pass. side in the pic.....but I raised the bak of the guide up about an inch & a quarter in orer to see over the screen......it's all welded in.
e30driver
I have a fiberglass seat I am thinking of using in...a 914 that I WILL get, I've mounted tons of other seats in other cars but this is a bare fiberglass seat, is there a special way to mount this?
ready2flyfish
QUOTE(e30driver @ Feb 18 2010, 06:44 AM) *

I have a fiberglass seat I am thinking of using in...a 914 that I WILL get, I've mounted tons of other seats in other cars but this is a bare fiberglass seat, is there a special way to mount this?

weld-in steel race seat brackets ESPECIALLY if you do any competition. I use Cobra race seats exclusively and they are Kevlar shells (stronger than FG) and mount exactly as you would a FG seat. Sparco and Cobra make very good weld-in brackets.
campbellcj
I have the Cobra Suzuka kevlar seats. They are mounted on Cobra side-mount brackets, which give some adjustability via different holes you can use to attach the seat on the front and rear. I can't weld (yet) so they are bolted to the floor using robust hardware and I reinforced the mounting surfaces with flat steel stock for good measure. I cut out part of the cross-brace on the floor, just where the seat brackets needed to go.

This setup is very sturdy and I've been happy with it, although if/when I learn how to weld I will at least weld the steel reinforcements and possibly the actual brackets to the floor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.