Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 'One-Owner' 73 2.0L. Alaskan Blue. Excellent Condition.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
JF914
For sale. One owner since 1974 (before me in Sept '09). Immaculate condition throughout. $12.5K, or best offer.

MANY PHOTOS HERE. Take a look !

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n466/sc...nt=e1d5043b.pbw

ALASKAN BLUE 2.0L, and a '73 model which is the arguably most desirable year. Its spent its life in CA and Colorado. Nice dry climates, and had an original color repaint and full rebuild of the engine (documented) less than 10K miles ago. Car just turned 105K.

When I bought the car, I had a local Porsche Concours judge, and 914 owner/afficianado look the car over for nearly 5 hours as my pre-purchase inspection . He was going bonkers over the car! Loved it, so I bought it from the owner here in Denver. (I have previously owned a couple Ferrari 308's, and may be looking to get back into that arena).

VIN#4732918359
2.0L engine. F/I, No mods
Chrome bumpers
Front/rear sways.
Alpine Stereo with hi-performance AMP
Chromed Fuchs (original wheels with spare).
Air Conditioning (aftermarket Porschaire install).

Prior owner spent over $13K on full older restoration/repaint/rebuild all around. Car still shows extremely well.

Pioneer Porsche Windshield, Oil pressure sender......$284.65

Scotts Independent Porsche Engine rebuild (pistons, rods, bearings, seals)..... $3073.24

Scotts Independent Porsche Panel work, rust repairs, bumpers, seals all around, mouldings, cv joints, chrome $3304.23

Jim East - Porsche Paint/Body Original color repaint + black valences/rockers $2088.00

Hand Crafted Metal Rust mitigation and reinforcement (jackpoints)/welds, panelwork $1782.00

Scott's Independent Porsche Spring Set-Rear/Alignment set.....$684.26

R&R's Porsche Aire A/C with static condenser $1569.00

Ziebart rustproofing

Several other normal maintenance records from Stevinson Porsche when in Colorado .... 2001, and on. Couple thousand miles, oil change

I have taken car of all of the little items which needed attention after minimal use in the last several years. Only a couple thousand miles since 2001. The list of nearly $4K spent (not all inclusive) in 2009.

Porsche of Walnut Creek New Key Fob type $75.82
City Lock Co. Spare keys $15.00
914 World Driver seat adjustment lever $25.00
914 World Original Mirror-Chrome Drivers side $50.00
Boulder Autowerks Bearings, pedal box, clutch cable, shift bushings, master cyl, brake lines $1851.04
Boulder Autowerks Fuel hose 18', 8mm hose clamps $75.00
Tire Source Michelin MXV/4 $537.24
Automobile Atlanta Bilstein Shocks, Weltmeister #140 Springs, and Vitaloni Mirrors (2) $639.00

Above includes:
new fuel lines all around including to fuel injectors (safety item)
new rear bearings
new brake lines
new clutch cable and adjustment
new brake master cylinder
rebuild the pedal box with brass bushings
new 140# upgraded rear Weltmeister springs
new Bilstein rear shocks
New Vitaloni Turbo mirrors (driver and passenger).

No rust in the usual trouble spots (floor pans, longs, hell hole/battery, etc).
Structurally very sound. No issues.
A couple of very minor 1/8" rust bubbles showing under the paint on the very rear of the front fender behind the antenna.
Interior is really clean. Steering wheel is mint condition, as is the dash (perfect, no cracks).
Original interior material. No tears. (one small repair on passenger seat 1/2 inch on seat bottom).
Original carpets. Very nice condition.
Targa topi in great condition.
All switches, electricals, lights, etc work fine.

Runs excellent. Always starts. Runs out well... Needs nothing. I have enjoyed the car, and it gets lots of looks/thumbs up, but may be getting back into 308's.

John
feeney@us.ibm.com
303 475 7840 ©
jerome3.2
Nice car,

Do you have the PPI done before you purchased it?
Why selling it so quickly?
Could have interested me but too far from Toronto unsure.gif
JF914
QUOTE(jerome3.2 @ Feb 9 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Nice car,

Do you have the PPI done before you purchased it?
Why selling it so quickly?
Could have interested me but too far from Toronto unsure.gif

Plane tix and shipping is cheap as compared to buying the wrong car !

My PPI was done by a local Porsche Concours judge who spent 5 hours pulling stuff off and inspecting this and that. Car was inspected for all the 914 typical issues, and passed with flying colors with the exception of the couple of items which I had to take care of after the purchase (eg. brakes, shocks/springs, rear bearings).

I am not forcing the sale in any way. I like the car, drive it weekly, and enjoy it. Its my first Porsche, after BMW's and a couple Ferrari's. My hobby continues to be helping local Ferrari guys find/sell their cars, and I just can't get the FCar outta my blood. (www.scuderiaautosport.com). I just took an FCar maintenance holiday for a bit. <smile>

If I have to keep the 914 2.0, no problem. I will make it the best one out there...thats my nature..... its just not a Ferrari 308 which I guess is my passion/hobby). If I can turn this car over to someone else for what I have into it, fine. Then it goes, and I move on. If not, I show up to the local events in a very, very nice 'teener with the targa top off and the stereo blasting.

Toronto is not too far. This car could be driven there without issue.

If you want a nice one, this is it. Otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it to begin with. I made sure that it checked out fully. Look at all the receipts, the prior owner really cared. Its all there. Someone will get the benefit of my due dilligence, inspection, and fixing of the couple of remaining items since the car has had very low miles in the past 10 years. But its all good now. The photos and records tell the story. Find another with full history, and receipts for all the restoration work done for under Mid-teens, and buy it. Comparatively, I think this is a very fair deal.

I'd be happy to share all the relevant details. Its a very clean car, for a reasonable price. Make an offer, and I'll deliver. :-)

John
Gint
icon_bump.gif That is definitely one very nice looking 914.

I've seen this car in person and it is ... very nice! I would be more than happy to do a pre-purchase inspection for anyone long distance that might be interested in it. I met John recently (when I saw the car) and he seems to be an honest up front guy.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 18 2010, 12:29 PM) *

icon_bump.gif That is definitely one very nice looking 914.

I've seen this car in person and it is ... very nice! I would be more than happy to do a pre-purchase inspection for anyone long distance that might be interested in it. I met John recently (when I saw the car) and he seems to be an honest up front guy.

So Gint, what's the deal with the 74 rear bumper & tits on this 73 ...
... or is it really a 74 ?? confused24.gif

While I already have my longtime 73 resto project - this looks like a beautiful drooley.gif example of one of the colors that I would've picked had I bought one new in 72/73 (unfortunately I was still a struggling college student then), or if found used when I got mine in 75. My other fav color was/is Marathon Blue Metallic.

Unfortunately for this seller, the guy I know looking for a 73-74 2L is not a "blue guy" & his search is currently on hold due to the economy etc.
Gint
Oh, hell, who knows? My 74 has 72 front and rear bumpers on it. I didn't look at to that level of detail when I saw it at the last Coffee and Cars. If the VIN starts with 473 it's a 73 and if it starts with 474 then it's a 74. Simple to verify, but I'll leave that to the seller.

It is a really nice 914. If I wasn't already up to my elbows in 'em...

The "914 owner/afficianado" John mentioned is our local version of Pat Garvey and he spends hours pouring over every little detail of a 914 and did such an inspection on this car before John bought it.

Again, I'll be happy to go look at it with a fine tooth comb if there is a serious buyer interested in such a thing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 18 2010, 03:52 PM) *

Oh, hell, who knows? My 74 has 72 front and rear bumpers on it. I didn't look at to that level of detail when I saw it at the last Coffee and Cars. If the VIN starts with 473 it's a 73 and if it starts with 474 then it's a 74. Simple to verify, but I'll leave that to the seller.

The "914 owner/afficianado" John mentioned is our local version of Pat Garvey and he spends hours pouring over every little detail of a 914 and did such an inspection on this car before John bought it.

Again, I'll be happy to go look at it with a fine tooth comb if there is a serious buyer interested in such a thing.

It was just an obvious question when I saw his bucket pix, but didn't see any VIN info anywhere IIRC, just thought you might know. ... it's the type of question these "lookers" that I know ask, but I'm like you with my "914 hands" full now! blink.gif

There's a another local PCA-OCR tail-dragger guy who regretted selling his 73 2L who said he was in the market awhile back, so I'll ask him at our Porsches & Coffee on Sat. am. If so, then I'll send him to this post & your offer.

Thanx for the update & offer to look it over.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JF914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 18 2010, 06:06 PM) *

It was just an obvious question when I saw his bucket pix, but didn't see any VIN info anywhere IIRC, just thought you might know. ... it's the type of question these "lookers" that I know ask, but I'm like you with my "914 hands" full now! blink.gif

There's a another local PCA-OCR tail-dragger guy who regretted selling his 73 2L who said he was in the market awhile back, so I'll ask him at our Porsches & Coffee on Sat. am. If so, then I'll send him to this post & your offer.

Thanx for the update & offer to look it over.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Its a 1973. VIN starts with 473... (I'll post the full VIN when I get home from by business trip tomorrow)

I think the owner who did the restoration just liked "symmetry" or something. :-) When they redid the bumpers, they replaced all the rubber, and added the rear nips.

John
Tom_T
QUOTE(JF914 @ Feb 18 2010, 04:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 18 2010, 06:06 PM) *

Its a 1973. VIN starts with 473... (I'll post the full VIN when I get home from by business trip tomorrow)

I think the owner who did the restoration just liked "symmetry" or something. :-) When they redid the bumpers, they replaced all the rubber, and added the rear nips.

John

Thanx for clarifying John. ...it's a beauty! wub.gif

Bumper may have been as simple as the pre-74 one was available & very nice, or ????

If that local guy is still looking, then I'll email him the link to your post. b Who knows, it might have been his 914 before, as I cannot recall if he said his was an Alaska or Marathon Blue that he bought new. If the paperwork for the first owner says Orange or Orange Park Acres for city, then it may have been his. wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Otherwise - Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JF914
Thanks Tom, and Mike.

Its a 1973. Full VIN # is 4732918359

The gentleman I purchased from had it since 1974. From the records the car spent most of its early years in California, restored in late 80's, then to Colorado in the early 90's through now.

regards, John
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 18 2010, 04:52 PM) *

Didn't Rex inspect this one?
Tom_T
QUOTE(JF914 @ Feb 19 2010, 11:12 AM) *

Thanks Tom, and Mike.

Its a 1973. Full VIN # is 4732918359

The gentleman I purchased from had it since 1974. From the records the car spent most of its early years in California, restored in late 80's, then to Colorado in the early 90's through now.

regards, John

Okay John, last Friday I emailed the link to the guy here who is looking & he emailed back that he looked at the post/thread, but is apparently on hold for right now - as is the "non-blue guy" I mentioned above. Maybe he'll come around or maybe not - probably depends on the economy & maybe retirement accounts - or possibly it being tax season, as he's a semi-retired CPA.

Good Luck with this beauty!
Tom T
Orange CA
.. yet another Trojan `74! biggrin.gif
///////
JF914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Feb 23 2010, 11:29 AM) *

YEP. He spent about 5 hours crawling through everything. I purchased based on his recommendation, and was not disappointed. Better than advertised, and now I've done the items needed (described in the listing).

I've had four very serious inquiries -- shared a hundred photos, etc -- just no closure yet.

Thanks for all your help guys. Its a very nice car, and at this point needs nothing but the A/C to be recharged before the summer. Its ready to go.

As I say this, I am questioning my sanity getting rid of something that is fully sorted, starts and runs strong, and has no issues. Maybe the market will have me do the right thing, and just keep it and enjoy it.

John
Tom_T
QUOTE(JF914 @ Feb 23 2010, 01:37 PM) *

YEP. He spent about 5 hours crawling through everything. I purchased based on his recommendation, and was not disappointed. Better than advertised, and now I've done the items needed (described in the listing).

I've had four very serious inquiries -- shared a hundred photos, etc -- just no closure yet.

Thanks for all your help guys. Its a very nice car, and at this point needs nothing but the A/C to be recharged before the summer. Its ready to go.

As I say this, I am questioning my sanity getting rid of something that is fully sorted, starts and runs strong, and has no issues. Maybe the market will have me do the right thing, and just keep it and enjoy it.

John

That would be my choice John! driving.gif biggrin.gif w00t.gif

you could always take advantage of this market to get someone's Ferrari & just add on to the garage!! laugh.gif

Tom
///////
JF914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 23 2010, 02:41 PM) *

John

That would be my choice John! driving.gif biggrin.gif w00t.gif

you could always take advantage of this market to get someone's Ferrari & just add on to the garage!! laugh.gif

Tom
///////

I am insane, Tom. The reason that I got rid of my 89 Mondial t cabriolet with 20K miles on it was that I was looking down the barrel of a $7-$10K engine out, major service in 2010, and too chicken to broach that subject with my spouse.

308's are engine in service, but still $3-$4K every 3 to 4 years.

Keep talkin' me off the ledge! This is my first Porsche...914's are fun, handle, economical to maintain, and seemingly run forever. I do miss the V8 Fcar growl though.

:-)
Tom_T
QUOTE(JF914 @ Feb 23 2010, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 23 2010, 02:41 PM) *

I am insane, Tom. The reason that I got rid of my 89 Mondial t cabriolet with 20K miles on it was that I was looking down the barrel of a $7-$10K engine out, major service in 2010, and too chicken to broach that subject with my spouse.

308's are engine in service, but still $3-$4K every 3 to 4 years.

Keep talkin' me off the ledge! This is my first Porsche...914's are fun, handle, economical to maintain, and seemingly run forever. I do miss the V8 Fcar growl though.

:-)

As a Lotus nut buddy of mine used to say John - Brit & Italian cars REQUIRE you to own 2 or 3 - one to drive, while the 2nd one is in the shop, & the 3rd is in the garage waiting to go to the shop! lol-2.gif

Now, I'm clearly a prejudiced & jaded long time 914 owner (same one since 12/75), but IIRC the 914-2.0 can keep up if not beat the 308 on the curves! driving.gif biggrin.gif

And when this engine goes on the 2.0 - you can always get another 1.7 or 2L core for Jake Raby to build to your specs anywhere from a mild 125 HP up to 200+ HP out of the Type IV H-4 - which is lighter than the 6's & 8's. But keep that current 2.0 case sacrosanct if it's a matching GA case number!

... or, you could do what we did as kids with our bikes, & use clothes pins to clip a bunch of baseball cards around the wheel wells to make that rumble sound you like! av-943.gif

Seriously - think this one over John, 73 914-2.0s like yours are few & far between, & sooo much fun! Also more moderate priced to keep up & less "needy" than Ferraris, when it comes to convincing "the other half"! dry.gif

... try this one: "Oh but Honey, I need to take care of this to preserve its investment value!" biggrin.gif ... but be ready to duck just in case! chair.gif

If you keep it & since it appears to be pretty original, you might want to find a pristine & correct OE 71-73 rear bumper without the "tits"/bumper guards to install on it, then you could probably recoup all of your costs plus some by selling that "Cherry" 1-year only 74 rear bumper & its guards.

Besides, we "Teeners" are much nicer & "real" folks than those uppity Ferrari types! laugh.gif

Now that I've thoroughly Corn-fused you! blink.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.