Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC WOT Wireless routers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have a few questions about wireless routers. Here is my home setup:

Dell laptop with docking station.

Dell Home computer (new)

Compaq home computer (old)

Currently I have DSL service with a 4 port wire router connected to both Dells. I use a wireless card for the laptop when at corp office and in airports.

Here is what we want to do. Both Dells setup in my home office. Home computer direct connect to router, laptop using wireless card (so I can work in the garage and be connected to the my real job). Compaq setup in family room so 2yr old can have access to his websites. I would like to use a wireless card for the Compaq. so my long winded question is this.....

what would be the best wireless router to use? does it matter what wireless card is used to connect with? My laptop uses a Cisco Systems 350 adapter.
What wireless adapter would be best for the Compaq home computer?

Sorry for OT questions.

Thanks! - Garold
Rockaria
Really, Any wireless card should be fine. I tend to stay away from Linksys since the router does not work with my Microsoft 1000 dsl modem. But I have used almost all wireless adapters and find they are all good. I really really like the D-link line. I have used them a lot and find they work great and have a very long reception range and a great low cost. The d-link router has 4 wired ports on it as well as the wireless. So it should be a direct replacement for your current router.

I hope this helps a little,
ppickerell
I have excellent results with Linksys stuff.
Rockaria
Linksys is great and also inexpensive. Its just the Linksys router Does Not work with a Microsoft DSL Modem very well at all. So if you have MSN DSL you will get a lot of net errors and droped DSL all of the time.
GaroldShaffer
What about U.S. Robotics. I was at Walmart getting paper for the printer and they have a U.S. Robotics 802.11g router for like $90. Would that work? Good price?
736conver
Linksys is good. As that was my set-up. But once I got my new XP machine the linksys wi-fi card didnt want to work with it.
I check around and saw many postings on issues with XP and linksys
Check around on the net to see if there is issues between the various platforms and the wireless router you want.
brians914
Remember 802.11g is faster but you have to have both ends working at that speed.
Stick with Linksys, your laptop has a Cisco card in it. Same company. I sell Linksys and D-link and have had good luck with both. Go with 802.11b and you can save a few bucks.
GaroldShaffer
So it doesn't matter if both Dells are on XP and the Compaq is 98? Please excuse the stupid questions I am not a computer person.
brians914
No, go with a 802.11b save a few bucks. Follow the install directions on the PCI card for the 98 machine. Some times you install drivers first and sometimes after you install the card. D-link is before and thats really important.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Mar 25 2004, 03:14 PM)
So it doesn't matter if both Dells are on XP and the Compaq is 98? Please excuse the stupid questions I am not a computer person.

NO, it doesn't matter

I have GREAT luck with Netgear routers.. the only link sys I had worked great too... for a while... the net gear even works with my Tivo(with USB network card)
cgnj
Hi,

Computers wont care what os is on others in your workgroup. I have used all the above named routers. I have had good luck getting refurbed SMC routers. Built in print server. real human on the other end of the support line is tough though.

Carlos
seanery
I, too, have a Linksys wireless router. I bought early and have a 'B'. If your card from work is a 'G' I'd get a 'G'. Otherwise 'B' will be fine. The 'B' is faster than the internet, but not as fast as a hardwire network, so if you're sharing lots of large files it will be slower, but regular ole internet stuff will be plenty fast.

I've run 3 different wireless cards and they all work fine. We installed a Microsoft 'B' access point/router at my Dad's house and hated it. It really wasn't very friendly and was weaker than others. He has a netgear now and it works fine.

No matter which one you go with, make sure you enable the 128bit security. Some routers don't default to that being on. Our local news did a big week long report about people's insecure wireless setups. They drove around several neighborhoods across the city connecting to people's networks and then rang the doorbell and embarrassed them on camera. Anyway, it just goes to show that a lot of people just plug them in and forget or don't know what else to do. Read the owners manual and you should do fine. Sorry for the rambling.
Pnambic
Hey Garrold,

I've set up a few wireless networks, (DLink and Linksys) and I've found the Linksys to be very easy and very reliable. I'm heading up there on April 8th for the weekend. I'll come over and help you install if you like.

Amen to Seans mention of the 128 bit WEP security, especially since you live in a neighborhood. Though it can slow your speeds a little. If you lived out in the country, it prolly wouldn't matter.

Brief description of network card types:
  • 802.11a - 5.0 Ghz freq - 54 MB transfer speeds, for sort ranges (1/3 of b )
  • 802.11b - 2.4Ghz freq - 11 MB transfer speeds over larger ranges
  • 802.11g - 2.4 Ghz freq - 54 MB transfer speeds over larger ranges
And the 802.11g works on b networks too.

Realistically, 802.11a networks don't work well outside of one room. The 802.11b and 802.11g ranges can be up to several hundred feet.

802.11g Linksys Router at Bestbuy for $89.00
802.11g Linksys Desktop card at Bestbuy for $69.00

I think the Cisco Series 350 is a 802.11b card. It will work fine with the 802.11g router.

Let me know if I can help!

- Dan
rhilgers
You want WPA not WEP for security, stay with items that support WPA.

Its a pain to setup right now since it first generation.

Windows XP is the easy way for WPA support. More than likely you will have to do driver/bios/firmware upgrades all around.
Most of the problems stem from people who think it should work right out of the box.

I cant think of a wireless combo that I did NOT have to
immediately upgrade the driver/firmware on.

Here is a good place to start....

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wlan

-Rich
Joe.D
If the range for the wireless link matters in your situation, stick to 802.11b - the range is significantly greater that .11g. I'm using a Linksys .11g wireless.

Joe
Rockaria
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Mar 25 2004, 03:14 PM)
So it doesn't matter if both Dells are on XP and the Compaq is 98?

Actually I have 2 windows 2000 a Win 98 and a Macintosh on mine. All work great. I also use a D-link repeater to lengthen the Wirless range so my garage (All the way across the house) has DSL as well. I have wired my friends Sat Dish Internet to work in his Brother In Laws house across the street. They think it is really cool. Thought the download speed rocks the upload speed sucks. That is the Sats problem and not the router. So Just about anything can work.
seanery
I've considered the repeater, but didn't know how well it worked. My garage is detached and iffy sometimes.
GaroldShaffer
Thanks everyone. smilie_pokal.gif this site rocks aktion035.gif

Dan -

I will take you up on your offer. I'll send you PM
tomorrow.

Again thanks everyone!

- Garold
campbellcj
I've used at least 3 brands so far: Linksys, D-Link and Netgear. They all worked fine and are pretty "feature rich" but these days I'd probably stick with Linksys as they were bought by Cisco and so are really one of the big dogs now, high volume and deep pockets, so likely to have good driver support etc. for quite some time.

Here at home I have the Linksys WRT54G router (with 100BaseT switch, firewall and WAP built in) and an ESPX3 printserver. Usually 1 desktop and at least 2 laptops floating around here, but it varies. No probs yet.
Rockaria
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 25 2004, 07:59 PM)
I've considered the repeater, but didn't know how well it worked. My garage is detached and iffy sometimes.

The repeater rocks. Line of site it goes over 1000 feet outdoors. Indoors 350 feet or more. Add that to your 300 feet from the original wireless hub and you can just about heat up an entire neighborhood. (Don't forget the security though! I also limit mine by MAC address so uninvited users get locked out.)
Red-Beard
MAC = must !
campbellcj
What I said about Netgear above...I take back.

This a.m. the router for our office lan/intranet took a crap...OF COURSE when I was offsite at a meeting....so my people sat around lighting farts and whatnot for 4 hours.

Fortunately I had a backup (D-Link) on the shelf...I'm gonna splurge for a real Cisco or 3Com shortly.
rhilgers
MAC filtering does not do much.

Even with 128bit WEP the novice snoop can get onto the network in about and hour.

The MAC addres is sent in clear text outside of the encryption so its just a small deterent at best.

256bit WEP products are just as new as WPA but WPA is directly supported under XP so its better for most users.

SEE:http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2002/0909wepprimer.html

BTW: I would not by the Cisco... in that range get the Proxim/ORiNOCO setup.

POE. Power Over Ethernet .....mmmmm....

Anyway..like I said..WPA is the way to go. It a pain, but less than IPSEC inside of WEP

-Rich
DuckRyder
I have a linksys wireless 4 port router running in almost exactly your configuration.

It works flawlessly and has for several years.

The upstairs computer is on a linksys wireless pci card and the laptop on a linksys pcmcia card.

All are on xp now, but at one pint it had an xp, 2000pro, and 98SE all on the same network.

I had absolutely no problem installing any of it in xp.

FWIW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.