Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 starter motor, strong enough for JDM subaru 2.5?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
Hey guys,
I went for a first start this past weekend with my project car, and I got the sense that the starter motor was too weak to get the motor started. It would crank and and kinda spit and cough a little... but whenever i thought it was about to finally go.. the engine just kinda slowed down. It is a JDM (which I believe has higher compression than the USDM) DOHC 2.5 N/A mated to a stock 901 tranny, with stock starter motor.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

-Peter
budman5201
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Feb 9 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Hey guys,
I went for a first start this past weekend with my project car, and I got the sense that the starter motor was too weak to get the motor started. It would crank and and kinda spit and cough a little... but whenever i thought it was about to finally go.. the engine just kinda slowed down. It is a JDM (which I believe has higher compression than the USDM) DOHC 2.5 N/A mated to a stock 901 tranny, with stock starter motor.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

-Peter

Yep it'll work. I have done 2 conversions so far with that exact motor. The stock starter worked fine. BUT......I used the High torque one off ebay in the end, because it saved me 5 lbs. I think the reason yours is coughing is because you havent really got your car running yet have you??
Its always a little rough until you get the oil flowing. My first 2.5 N/A block was sitting for about a year in japan before i got it.
malaga_red75
True, I haven't gotten the motor to start yet. I am going home tomorrow evening to work on the car again. I will keep you guys posted over on my build thread.
charliew
Being realistic your are asking a starter to go from a 2.0 8:1 compression motor to a 2.5 10:1 motor so it will always require a fully charged well maintained electrical circuit to work good. I read where someone had a problem with aligning the high torque starter in the tranny with the adapter and flywheel arrangement so you might keep that filed away if you go that route.
underthetire
Couldn't you just go with the 911 starter? I think stock was like .8KW, and the 911 was 1.5KW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.