Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shock questions-Bilstein or KYB?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
I am wondering if Bilstein's are adjustable or not. A question for people that AX and drive their AX cars on the street-What shocks would you reccomend that are adjustable to use on road and during AX's?
Thanks
rfuerst911sc
I'm no shock expert but here's what I think I know biggrin.gif .
1. KYB = Kill Your Back they are basically junk.
2.Boge are/were OEM and not bad but not adjustable.
3.Bilstein are excellent quality but not adjustable. You can send them back to Bilstein and for a fee they will custom valve for your particuliar car setup. They are height adjustable by moving spring perches on adjustable clips.
4. Koni are also excellent quality and are adjustable but if we're talking rear shocks to adjust them they have to be removed from the car each time to adjust.
5. Aftermarket there are all kinds of specialty shocks that can be purchased with external adjustable knobs.

Hope this helps.
SGB
Bilstein's are a great balence between sports and comfort. I have 'em on all my cars.
tradisrad
I've got Bilsteins on all 4 corners. The rears have adjustable spring perches and Rebel Racing make a coil over that increases the adjustability of the spring perch. http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html
I like the shocks and the car handles great. I must say that I also have Elephant Bushings and mono balls and I think the bushing really help improve the ride.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have bilsteins on all of my cars. They are the best. (the only problem is affordability. They are a keep your car forever shock.
rfuerst911sc
Another place to buy rear adjustable spring kit : http://www.ground-control-store.com/produc...ption.php/II=76
Eric_Shea
Decisions, decisions... they're both great!

No wait... one of them is crap. I won't mention any names but the initials KYB come to mind.

Bilsteins, Koni or new Boge Sports.
Eric_Shea
but if we're talking rear shocks to adjust them they have to be removed from the car each time to adjust.

Wachootalkin bout? Those are old Konis'. New ones have the adjustable shaft front and rear.
r_towle
agree.gif

Buy Koni's. Bilstiens are to stiff for the street and they wont wear out so I will be using these until I get more disposable money to waste and replace them with Koni's.

Eric,
No I have not...but I swear I will this week...just need to hit the USPS when its open..

Rich
pcar916
The Bilsteins are a certainly easier on the back. Avoid KYB.

My 911 had them when I bought it. They won't last as long and are harsh to boot.

I have had Bilstein Sport inserts on the front now for years (911 struts). I like 'em better than the standard inserts they replaced. I run the adjustable-gas Koni's in the rear.

Between tire pressures and the shock adjustment in the rear, you should be able to tune your handling 'pretty fine'.

Good Luck
burton73
I have bilsteins on 2 of my cars. My V8 donor car from Army Dude came with these KYB (made in Japan). They have an adjustable spring kit on them. I wonder if this kit will fit on a new Biilstein. The threaded tube is an almost tight fit over the shock body. It feels like there is a rubber O-ring or something holding them from sliding easily off.

This will go on my V8 blue car with the 930 trans

Bob
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
some people don't have the money you have Eric. (they are also a lot younger and can take the hard ride!!!!)

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 08:47 AM) *

Decisions, decisions... they're both great!

No wait... one of them is crap. I won't mention any names but the initials KYB come to mind.

Bilsteins, Koni or new Boge Sports.

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 10 2010, 06:05 AM) *

Bilstein's are a great balence between sports and comfort. I have 'em on all my cars.

Agree! drunk.gif A normal thread..
Eric_Shea
No I have not...but I swear I will this week...just need to hit the USPS when its open..

lol3.gif No worries.
MikeSpraggi
I have Bilstein sport on the /6 street car and Koni sports on the track car. The Koni Yellow Sport front's are adjustable with a knob at the top of the stem. The rears will have Koni spring perches that are adjustable with a special dry.gif Koni wrench ($16 I think). I haven't tried it yet, but it appears that the rears are ajustable with the knob without removing the shocks.

The Bilsteins on the street car were good for the street and track, but I liked the Koni Yellows Sports better for my application on the track. I think they can be made a little more agressive ... at a cost though.

My Koni Yellow Sport Rears
Click to view attachment

Koni adjustable spring perch
Click to view attachment
thefather99
So I see a bunch of people debating Koni and Bilstein. I drive a 914-4 1974 and need to replace my shocks. I am looking at 95% of my driving being on the street, so I don't need the super stiff shocks.... What do you guys recommend?
TheCabinetmaker
If ya want comfort, stay with OEM. Mildly spirited, bilstein.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 10 2010, 12:58 PM) *

If ya want comfort, stay with OEM. Mildly spirited, bilstein.

I havent driven my car yet and have Bilstein on all fours. I noticed it looked a little stiff in the back, does this change after being driven a bit?
TheCabinetmaker
Hope not. Stiff is why I bought em! Just remember, stiffers gonna mean rougher ride.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Feb 10 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Hope not. Stiff is why I bought em! Just remember, stiffers gonna mean rougher ride.

I'm sure it'll change a bit, since when I trailered it before, it had no engine/tranny in it.
Eric_Shea
I am looking at 95% of my driving being on the street, so I don't need the super stiff shocks.... What do you guys recommend?

The Boge Sports get lost in the Koni/Bilstein wars. They are very nice shocks for a 95% street car.

Konis would give you the abilaity to dial in your rebound. Bilsteins are set'em and forget'em. Both are awesome shocks. Your choice.

I'm using Koni's on the GT tribute and Bilsteins on my ML320. I'm thinking about switching the 911 over to Bilsteins as well. I have all the parts... idea.gif

Click to view attachment
thefather99
Thanks for your help! So far I'm leaning towards the Bilstein.... Unless I see something that will convince me otherwise.
jcambo7
Thank you everyone for all the advice and opinions. I am leaning torwards Bilsteins or Koni's. Just going to do some more research.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 07:49 AM) *

but if we're talking rear shocks to adjust them they have to be removed from the car each time to adjust.

Wachootalkin bout? Those are old Konis'. New ones have the adjustable shaft front and rear.

I guess I have the old version on my 914 because there is no adjustment via a knob. Good to know the newer ones have a easy way to adjust.
raw1298
I have had KYB shocks on two previous vehicles and was very happy with them. I liked the stiffer ride. These however were not 914's and were heavier vehicles. The group here knows more than I do for a 914 since my car is still living on jackstands. I will be running KYB's when it hits the street tho!!
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 10 2010, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 07:49 AM) *

I guess I have the old version on my 914 because there is no adjustment via a knob. Good to know the newer ones have a easy way to adjust.

The Koni "Reds" do not have the knob like the Yellows. There is a tool that can be purchased to help with the process. To adjust Reds, remove the locking nut holding the top hat assembly together. Then the tool can compress the shock shaft down and you turn the shaft in one direction or the other. I've never done this but this is what I understand the process to be. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in.
jcambo7
Another question about shocks. What things do I need to put on my 914 so Bilsteins or Koni's will fit in the strut housing? Are their adapters or something? And what type and size springs would work best?
Eric_Shea
A 914 will usually come with a black Boge housing. You can purchase any insert for this housing. All you'll need to get them on your car is $$$.

Springs depend on what you plan to do with it. If it's mainly street I wouldn't venture too far past stock. A 140 "progressive" would be the highest I'd go in a standard type spring.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2010, 12:19 AM) *

A 914 will usually come with a black Boge housing. You can purchase any insert for this housing. All you'll need to get them on your car is $$$.

Springs depend on what you plan to do with it. If it's mainly street I wouldn't venture too far past stock. A 140 "progressive" would be the highest I'd go in a standard type spring.

Thanks Eric
Eric_Shea
The Koni "Reds" do not have the knob like the Yellows.

Again... old vs. new. Reds do have knobs.
VaccaRabite
I have driven my 914 with the same KYBs that were on it when I bought it. My back is fine.

At some point I may upgrade to something else, but it is hard to justify right now.

Zach
burton73
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 10 2010, 09:28 AM) *

I have bilsteins on 2 of my cars. My V8 donor car from Army Dude came with these KYB (made in Japan). They have an adjustable spring kit on them. I wonder if this kit will fit on a new Biilstein. The threaded tube is an almost tight fit over the shock body. It feels like there is a rubber O-ring or something holding them from sliding easily off.

This will go on my V8 blue car with the 930 trans

Bob
Click to view attachment

Do you guys think this adjustable set up will fit on a Bilstein or should I just try this out?

I am not so inclined to do work over if you think they are a total POS stromberg.gif

The Bilstein look like they are $125. Each I have no idea what a Koni would cost plus what is the adjustment going to do. It looks like this one is screwed all the way up. I guess that the screwing up changes the spring rate. The Koni adj. may change the damping

Bob
charliew
Your right the spring is adjusted for the ride heigth and the shock can be adjusted for rebound in the single stage or if it has a resiorvor it can be adjusted in either direction. I also have used kyb on other vehicles mostly 4wd and only had one which was the first set I tried go bad and it was from over extension. They are stiff. I'm sure the lighter the vehicle the rougher they are.

The boge struts can be used with a bilstein insert with a different gland nut on the strut. The part number for mine is: B4-36-U242E2 and a bilstein shock that works with either 911 or 914 is: F4-P36-0113 HO, Bilstein's cali # is: 1-858-386-5900 the guy that heiped me was Victor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.