Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll cage/bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcaschera
I have been looking for some 2" x 0.120 steel tubing to build a roll bar to replace my hacked targa bar. Can anyone in the norcal area point me to a reasonably priced supplier? I have found it at about $7.50 a foot for 1018 cold rolled steel in the aforementioned size. Also is this a reasonable price confused24.gif . I could swear that i saw it for around 4 bucks a foot but now i can only see these $7.50 and up. Am i looking at a the wrong type of tubing or what?
underthetire
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 12:41 PM) *

I have been looking for some 2" x 0.120 steel tubing to build a roll bar to replace my hacked targa bar. Can anyone in the norcal area point me to a reasonably priced supplier? I have found it at about $7.50 a foot for 1018 cold rolled steel in the aforementioned size. Also is this a reasonable price confused24.gif . I could swear that i saw it for around 4 bucks a foot but now i can only see these $7.50 and up. Am i looking at a the wrong type of tubing or what?

Used to be a place on Monterey HWY, scrap/material yard that was reasonable. Was right next door to cycle gear when they were open. Down by Southern Lumber.
McMark
I've bought stuff from these guys: Alco Metals.
ChrisFoley
2 x .120 is definitely too big. You'll have trouble finding a shop to bend it too.
BTW, your post reminds me - I was supposed to reply to your inquiry a week ago and forgot.
I don't offer roll bar only kits, just complete cages.
bcaschera
WOW.. THANK YOU, they just quoted me $53.23 for a 20' cut. Best price ive seen yet. thanks again.
bcaschera
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 10 2010, 04:10 PM) *

2 x .120 is definitely too big. You'll have trouble finding a shop to bend it too.
BTW, your post reminds me - I was supposed to reply to your inquiry a week ago and forgot.
I don't offer roll bar only kits, just complete cages.

So .83 wall or 1.5? what part is too big... both? confused24.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 07:15 PM) *

WOW.. THANK YOU, they just quoted me $53.23 for a 20' cut. Best price ive seen yet. thanks again.

That wouldn't be for DOM.
My recommendation for a roll bar is 1 3/4" x .095 DOM.
bcaschera
So DOM is right.. and $7 is a fair price perfoot?
john rogers
As Chris noted, you will be needing DOM tubing if this is to be for safety reasons and eventually some tech inspector will be looking at it. DOM tubing is a tad more expensive but it will protect your head as my buddy Ted Myrus found out at Willow Springs last fall when he went for a ride inverted in his 914. He did find also his engine ran great upside down and it didn't stop until he went back on to the wheels.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Feb 10 2010, 07:42 PM) *

So DOM is right.. and $7 is a fair price perfoot?

I think that's high for 1 3/4" but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the going price for 2" at some sources.
jd74914
That seems too high to me too. If you go look at somewhere like Speedy Metals it looks to be about $5.04 per foot and it gets less expensive the longer your stick is. That said, I'm not sure how long a piece you can get. I know we needed some chassis tubes really quickly for our FSAE car and IIRC they came in 10ft sticks.
sww914
I paid $2.00 a foot for cold rolled 1.5" X .095 in 2009. I bought 100 feet, 20 foot sticks. At that time DOM was $4.00 a foot almost. I got it from C&C metals in Santa Maria. Nothing special about them except that they delivered it to me the next Tues from 45 miles away. Call around to the metals places in your phone book. The metals places don't seem to have any internet presence at all. The phone book is that heavy yellow thing they plop on your porch every fall. smile.gif
charliew
I thought speedway motors sold prebent tubes but I checked. I know someone does though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.