Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I did some work on my Six on Sunday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
And took the burscht exhaust off. Replaced it with a stock 911 hotdog muffler.

I LIKE the sound of the factory muffler. Much more civilized, but still has a good growl.

Anyone want to buy a ceramic coated Burscht for a six???? Make me an offer. Has some oil stains on it from my leaky old motor.

ClayPerrine
Oh.. and I still hate those Fu****G webers. mad.gif

I fixed the float level on one bowl, cleaned and adjusted the linkage, and I have tried friggin everything to get rid of the misfire under load when the RPM is below 2500 and on part throttle. Pulls strong at full throttle.

Any suggestions????
charliew
Check the timing at the misfire rpm but it could be a little lean as it sounds like you have been working in that direction. You might try advancing the timing to see if it corrects or improves that problem. That probably won't be the fix but if it fixes it at that rpm then you know to find a solution. I'm not familiar with 911/6 motors but timing under load can be finiky but so can afr's. Also make sure the spark isn't weak but it seems that would also show up at high rpm. I once overhauled a holley on a sbc only to find out the coil wire was dissolved inside the cap tower. It actually ran good everywhere but at idle and low rpm under a load.
6freak
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 01:00 PM) *

I fixed the float level on one bowl, cleaned and adjusted the linkage, and I have tried friggin everything to get rid of the misfire under load when the RPM is below 2500 and on part throttle. Pulls strong at full throttle.

Any suggestions????

Misfire ?? you mean like poppen through the carbs .....You prolly know this but just in case ..you know theres two float bowls for each carb......PS CARBS RULE AND THEY LOOK REALLY COOL TO
pete-stevers
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 12:57 PM) *

I LIKE the sound of the factory muffler. Much more civilized, but still has a good growl.

Anyone want to buy a ceramic coated Burscht for a six???? Make me an offer. Has some oil stains on it from my leaky old motor.

I hear you loud and clear!!!
actually after a an hour ride with an my triad...it is more like "WHAT? HUH?? CAN YOU SPEAK UP A LITTLE" (now i carry earplugs for driving blink.gif )
i am going to get myself a stock hot dog two in one out....soon...unless some one advertises a even quieter muffler
Eddie914
Clay,

After not being used for a bit, my teener with Webers runs much better after being run VERY HARD. It seems that it sucks all the crud through the carbs when being run HARD. Make sure the gas is free from moisture. Gas drier is always good medicine every spring. I have heard that water can collect in the idle jet holders and make for eractic running.

Good luck,

Eddie
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 10 2010, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 12:57 PM) *

I hear you loud and clear!!!
actually after a an hour ride with an my triad...it is more like "WHAT? HUH?? CAN YOU SPEAK UP A LITTLE" (now i carry earplugs for driving blink.gif )
i am going to get myself a stock hot dog two in one out....soon...unless some one advertises a even quieter muffler

Yeah, I know what you mean. I carry ear plugs as well. I too am looking into a different exhaust system but it WILL be louder happy11.gif . Trying to go for something with the best midrange torque.
Scott S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 02:00 PM) *

Any suggestions????

*Warning* the following response is from a newbie to the -6 that has been reading way to much on carbs..... but has yet to actually get dirty on them....

It almost sounds like the problems the 4 bangers with carbs have at the transition from idles to mains. In my -4 I bumped the idle jets and the problem went away. runs rich at idle, but the MSD keeps the plugs clean.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 02:00 PM) *

Any suggestions????

take off the air cleaner install two air flow meters ascertain that the air flow on one bank is the same as the other then leave the air flow meters (carb syncro gauges) in each side as you pull the throttle rod at the right pass rear of the engine to the 2500 RPM noting how the air flow changes. If it stays the same that is not the problem, if it varies side to side that IS the problem and you must adjust the two link rods for even play.

we assume of course that the valves are in adjustment the compression is even the dwell is on the money (you can even set it if you have a cid box) and the timing is right, and the butterflies are even and sealing, and the carbs have the proper combination of main and idle jets and chokes and emulsion tubes!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.