Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May be doin a swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
After really looking at the cost of the rebuild of the GA i picked up, i started to think twice. Then a guy at work offered me a buick 231V6. Low mileage motor (he got it in 81). So, I know i need the adapter stuff and cooling, probably some other stuff like headers or other misc crap. Anyone have the 231 ? and how do you like it?
Dr Evil
No idea popcorn[1].gif
drgchapman
I put a 231 into a '73 Vega back in 1978. Power was down low, not a rever. Good torque. Lots of motor torque over to control vs. the inline 4 it replaced. I think built to a different hp/torque curve it could be a lot of fun. I was looking for an aluminum small block buick v8, literally found this car, an Astre, I think, in a ravine and pulled the motor and transmission out on a skid.
type47
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 10 2010, 07:52 PM) *

After really looking at the cost of the rebuild of the GA i...

What was your ballpark estimate?
Phoenix-MN

After really looking at the cost of the rebuild of the GA i picked up, i started to think twice. Then a guy at work offered me a buick 231V6. Low mileage motor (he got it in 81). So, I know i need the adapter stuff and cooling, probably some other stuff like headers or other misc crap. Anyone have the 231 ? and how do you like it?

So far piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif

http://phoenixhobbies.com/html/first_drive.html

http://phoenixhobbies.com/html/project_914.html

There are a couple of others on the board maybe they will chime in.

Paul
tradisrad
My friend has a Buick V6. It is fast. He does not participate on this board.
I though about doing something similar, but I don't want to cut up my car.
underthetire
QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 11 2010, 03:58 AM) *

Heads 1K
P/C 900
Cam/lifters/pushrods 500
bearings 350 or so
oil pump
gaskets
machine work

so i'm guessing if i do some of the case machining myself, and some of the head machining, about 3K. Them i'm still only in the 150HP range.

Buick V6- free
ring and gasket it, new valve springs-200 bucks (maybe free)
Adapter with flywheel 500
motor mount bar 100
cooling i'm gonna buy a RX7 rad-200 bucks
exhaust- not much since I have a mandrel tube bender at work

Oh, might do a cam in it with lifters as well, but a very good friend of mine used to race the 231 and helped design the turbo regals, up to the GNX. He has a ton of stuff for these motors he does not use any more. Hell he even has 3 GNX complete crate motors still in the buick box.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 11 2010, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Feb 11 2010, 03:58 AM) *

Heads 1K
P/C 900
Cam/lifters/pushrods 500
bearings 350 or so
oil pump
gaskets
machine work

so i'm guessing if i do some of the case machining myself, and some of the head machining, about 3K. Them i'm still only in the 150HP range.

Buick V6- free
ring and gasket it, new valve springs-200 bucks (maybe free)
Adapter with flywheel 500
motor mount bar 100
cooling i'm gonna buy a RX7 rad-200 bucks
exhaust- not much since I have a mandrel tube bender at work

Oh, might do a cam in it with lifters as well, but a very good friend of mine used to race the 231 and helped design the turbo regals, up to the GNX. He has a ton of stuff for these motors he does not use any more. Hell he even has 3 GNX complete crate motors still in the buick box.

I have a new Kennedy pressure plate, flywheel and disk for sale if interested

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.