Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Travel Tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
Looking for some input here. confused24.gif As a new 914 owner I'm wondering what I should keep on board for short drives. I just got the car on the road and have no clue what parts or specialty tools to carry. e.g stubby screwdriver, CV bit, baleing wire, duct tape, etc.
tradisrad
I keep a small tool box with the 12pt CV bit, assorted sockets and wrenches (10mm,13mm,15mm,17mm etc.) lug wrench, pliers, a couple of screw drivers.
I hardly ever use the tools, but I know the car in and out so I've got a good idea of what to expect.
detoxcowboy
I will start definately a 10mm and 13mm wrench or socket phillips and a flat head screwdriver, water and bottle of vodka, cigarettes if you smoke, cell phone, triple a card, flashlight.. drunk.gif 11mm wrench for the clutch adj., 12/14/15 for brake lines/exauststarter, all around pliers, fuses and all purpose relay,

seriosuly it depends on what you can diagnose and get to, how far are you going. I have had issue prior that I knew I could fix myself but 300 miles form home and only the car jack to trust my life with makes it tough call on some repairs...

As stated above knowing the true condition of your car will come with time and experience but is most vital as too what to expect.. The what ifs and one in a million I used to keep extra for now I just keep a small tool box.. If I can limp it home or Mcgyver until I can get what i need.. remember where you can get parts fast out on the road, I also have had help on the road from this site too, if you have somewhere to hold up for parts..
Elliot Cannon
AAA card, duct tape, combination slotted and philips screw driver, pliers, chanel locks, cell phone, flash light, vodka, vermouth, olives, ice. One of those blue plastic tarps to crawl under the car. At least one jack stand. Spare throttle cable and clutch cable. Spare voltage regulator. Spare "V" belt. Spare tire. Stainless steel safety wire. Flat fixer in the can. Wrench and socket set. I'll think of more later or I'm sure someone will.
Cheers, Elliot
jd74914
I have some screwdrivers, pair of vice grips, 3/8" metric socket set, an open ended wrench set, and some feeler gauges (for the points). I also have a test light and cheap multimeter too. Most problems I've had have been electrically based and those items (mostly the test light) have come in handy.

As far as spare parts go I have a throttle cable, clutch cable, and set of points.

Like said by many above, I do know my car quite well. I've gotten especially good at cleaning and adjusting points on the fly (for some reason mine hate me). laugh.gif
pete-stevers
a bottle with your meds...for when you get stuck over nite
lets see
a flashlight
fuses
wire
bale wire
wire cutters
sharp knife
various wrenches and drives
(bottle of fuel)
jack
blanket/good for picnics to....
phone
i am sure i am missing a few things
Elliot Cannon
Get your self one of them electronic pointless ignition thingies. Works fine, last a long time. (But maybe bring your points along just in case).
EdwardBlume
Cell phone...
Rav914
#1 and #2 are:

Cell phone and AAA card.

After that's covered my travel kit for standard ignition car includes:

8,9,10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm Sockets
2" extension
Flared nut wrench for brake lines
10, 13mm open/box wrenches
Small vice grips
911 fan pulley wrench
Reg and stubby screwdrivers (std/phillips)
Extra sparkplug/fan belt/rotor/cap/wire/points/relay
Assorted fuses
Small homemade timing light (A la John Muir)
Feeler for points
1 qt oil
A rag
bandjoey
This for starters and everything in your Dad's garage. lol-2.gif
hot_shoe914
I carry a well stocked tool box, 2 jack stands, a floor jack, cell phone and towing insurance along with AAAplus. A blanket and something to wear while working on it or a spare shirt. Fuel filter, fan belt, clutch and accel cables and a few other spare parts. Oh yeah, pain pills and xanax.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Feb 11 2010, 08:30 PM) *

#1 and #2 are:

Cell phone and AAA card.

After that's covered my travel kit for standard ignition car includes:

8,9,10, 13, 15, 17, 19mm Sockets
2" extension
Flared nut wrench for brake lines
10, 13mm open/box wrenches
Small vice grips
911 fan pulley wrench
Reg and stubby screwdrivers (std/phillips)
Extra sparkplug/fan belt/rotor/cap/wire/points/relay
Assorted fuses
Small homemade timing light (A la John Muir)
Feeler for points
1 qt oil
A rag

Ding ding ding!!! This is the best list so far and it's what I carry, plus additional parts and tools:

Extra points/condenser in case the pertronix fails
duct tape
alternator belt
clutch and accelerator cables
spare voltage regulator
extra wire & multimeter
Wire stripper/crimpers
block of wood for the jack (in case the shoulder is soft)
flashlight
two-part epoxy

Prepared, not paranoid. Okay, maybe a little of both. smile.gif

MoveQik
Truck & trailer happy11.gif
Gearhead1432
I would go with what's in my '71 beetle. Jack, lug wrench, 10/13mm wrench, screwdrivers, sparkplug tool, and pliers. Maybe a quart of oil and a fanbelt too.

-Rob
Sleepin
A gallon or two of anti-freeze.....just in case I get attacked by thirsty dogs! lol-2.gif
oldschool
AAA, Don't leave home with out it, lol-2.gif
Real soon I'm getting my own flatbed driving.gif (side biz) when I'm ready I will let all my 914 buds know.... aktion035.gif
type47
Add a 14mm box end for the jamb nut on the valve adjust screw. Maybe make it a stubby 14mm.
FourBlades
Condoms...Hey you never know who will stop to help you out.
jaxdream
Nobody listed Vice-Grips !!??? mad.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
pcar916
Hmm,
Adding to the above...

- good soft bag to put your tools in (conforms to the place you place it)
- spare DME relay if your motor uses one
- red and black jumpers w/ alligator clips
- multimeter
- special tools for anything you've fabricated
- selected dental tools
- needle carrier and/or hemostats
- small files and emory cloth
- electrical tape
- small ball peen hammer
- punch(s)
- brass drift
- tire repair kit
- compressor if the spare is a space-saver type
- tarp or visqueen (6 mil) to put on the ground
- two large plastic garbage bags (impromptu rain gear)
- 1/4 in drive rachet with 7 - 13mm 6-pt sockets and extensions
- repair manual / electrical diagrams

Glove box
- spare battery cut-off key
- sunglasses (for two)
- sunscreen (for two)
- corkscrew / P38 (remember those?)
- a few zip-lock bags
- spare batteries/chargers for your stuff
- Leatherman or equivalent

Note: Can't say duct tape too many times!

Good luck
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 11 2010, 07:33 PM) *

Looking for some input here. confused24.gif As a new 914 owner I'm wondering what I should keep on board for short drives. I just got the car on the road and have no clue what parts or specialty tools to carry. e.g stubby screwdriver, CV bit, baleing wire, duct tape, etc.

Seriosuly when I was just starting out, I bought a Porsche 944 tool bag kit off ebay for $25 and added a few of the above mentioned sized wrenches double sized ended into it and a small 3/8 inch drive metric socket set cheaper german brand Proxxon that had most everything in it extensions and decent selection of sizes ect. .. a triple "A" card and a flashlight then as I learned what I could fix myself and what was needed I picked up a few other items. but basically with that simple set and the couple specialty items I have been able to to everything from my cylinder head to my suspension.( in the pinch items you can loan from the auto store or borrow your brothers blow torch ect.) In that time you learned what can be robbed in a time of need from another area of your car to at least get you through the moment. Sure there might be a time when you whish you had jack stands in your car, but the situation would more than likely be untolrerable, like adjusting your valves on the freeway..
Cap'n Krusty
If you need a fuel filter out on the road, you shouldn't be driving the car. The ONLY reason you could possibly need one is because the old one is plugged, and if it's plugged, you have failed to properly prepare your car for use.

The Cap'n
orthobiz
A good thread to revive...

Not quite a tool, but a fire extinguisher should be included.
I bring a 944 scissor jack, light weight and the top fits inside the donuts.

Paul
DblDog
...a dozen or so cable/zip ties, the releasable type...never know when you'll have to tie up a dangling valance, temporarily, or ..

.You can also keep your tools bundled up...nothing worse than a loose socket that wanders away.

Vodka, OK, it's an emergency...single malt better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.