Full Version: Seat belt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Niklas
Hi!

I have a 914 from 1972.
How should the seat belts look like ?
Anyone have some pictures ?
They are missing in my car.

The no on the delivery says "-549- 3-point seat belt front".
Is it retractabel ?

Niklas Ekström

Sweden
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Niklas @ Feb 12 2010, 08:17 AM) *

Hi!

I have a 914 from 1972.

Is it retractabel ?

Niklas Ekström

Sweden

You probably have non retractable shoulder belts as fitted to all 70 71 and 72 models until 12/71 here in the US. They are woven with large holsters and a red release lever. Hard to adjust and old and tired by now. You can purchase factory NOS retractable belts or aftermarket retractable belts or even 944 belts if you want a good inexpensive solution. All will fit your car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 12 2010, 10:34 AM) *

Hi!

I have a 914 from 1972.

Is it retractabel ?

Niklas Ekström

Sweden

You probably have non retractable shoulder belts as fitted to all 70 71 and 72 models until 12/71 here in the US. They are woven with large holsters and a red release lever. Hard to adjust and old and tired by now. You can purchase factory NOS retractable belts or aftermarket retractable belts or even 944 belts if you want a good inexpensive solution. All will fit your car.

George, do you have any (even miniscule) info on VIN that was the last to have the non-retractables? I know I'm pissing in the wind here, but you don't ask......
Pat
Niklas
My car is made in february 1972.

Is it possible to use a new retractable made for a front seat in a vw beetle?
I think they cost around 60-70 Euro. Probably cheaper in US.

Like this:

Click to view attachment

Niklas
Niklas
Hello!

What year are these:

914.803.181.10 retractable

I have bought them for my car used.

Niklas
SirAndy
The problem is mounting the retractor if your car wasn't setup for it.
It's too bulky.

I have come to really like my old non-retractable seat belts. They work much better than most people give them credit for.
shades.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
I've had 2 '72s they both had retractable seatbelts... one was a pretty early '72, and my current one was made in Jan '72 right after the mid-72 changes...
ranglim
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 10 2010, 11:03 AM) *

I've had 2 '72s they both had retractable seatbelts... one was a pretty early '72, and my current one was made in Jan '72 right after the mid-72 changes...

I have a '70 and '72, both with the fixed seat belts, and wonder what the retractable belts look like. I'm seeing what looks like a reinforced mounting plate for a seat belt retractor on the back firewall, over the driver's left shoulder, and then a recess in the top of the rear pad where the belt might come out. If that is the configuration of the retractable belts, I might want to consider upgrading. Anybody know who might sell them?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Seat belt planet sells a nice set of reproduction belts that will fit into any 72-76 914. We have NOS seat belts but they are cost prohibitive

QUOTE(ranglim @ Nov 24 2017, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 10 2010, 11:03 AM) *

I have a '70 and '72, both with the fixed seat belts, and wonder what the retractable belts look like. I'm seeing what looks like a reinforced mounting plate for a seat belt retractor on the back firewall, over the driver's left shoulder, and then a recess in the top of the rear pad where the belt might come out. If that is the configuration of the retractable belts, I might want to consider upgrading. Anybody know who might sell them?
ranglim
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Nov 25 2017, 11:55 AM' post='2551610']
Seat belt planet sells a nice set of reproduction belts that will fit into any 72-76 914. We have NOS seat belts but they are cost prohibitive

Thanks for the reference, they look good, I bought a set this morning, will give them a try. Thanks.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 25 2017, 09:55 AM) *

It would be fun to find the middle seat belt that was an option for my 1970 so I could ride with both daughters at the same time ... maybe when their mom isn’t looking.

Apparently “cost prohibitive” is my middle name.

—Michael in Seattle
mepstein
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 25 2017, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 25 2017, 09:55 AM) *

It would be fun to find the middle seat belt that was an option for my 1970 so I could ride with both daughters at the same time ... maybe when their mom isn’t looking.

Apparently “cost prohibitive” is my middle name.

—Michael in Seattle

I had one but after thinking about how a quick stop would send my child’s face into the gear shift lever, I sold it.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2017, 05:29 PM) *

I had one but after thinking about how a quick stop would send my child’s face into the gear shift lever, I sold it.

How do you think my face got to be the way it is?

Seriously, yeah, it’s probably not a good idea.
mepstein
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 25 2017, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2017, 05:29 PM) *

How do you think my face got to be the way it is?

Seriously, yeah, it’s probably not a good idea.

I had thought about a harness bar to add a shoulder belt but my kids grew up too quickly.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no but the last one to have non retractible belts was built on or before 12/71

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 12 2010, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 12 2010, 10:34 AM) *

Hi!

I have a 914 from 1972.

Is it retractabel ?

Niklas Ekström

Sweden

George, do you have any (even miniscule) info on VIN that was the last to have the non-retractables? I know I'm pissing in the wind here, but you don't ask......
Pat
Garland
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 03:59 PM) *

The problem is mounting the retractor if your car wasn't setup for it.
It's too bulky.

I have come to really like my old non-retractable seat belts. They work much better than most people give them credit for.
shades.gif Andy

agree.gif FULLY!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.