Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Southern Snow claims a teener. Crap!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee6204
So we had another snow front move through the area tonight and it claimed my 914!
I wasn't expecting it to hit until later tonight so I decided to take the teener over to a friends house since i hadn't driven it the past few weeks due to snowstorms. It started to come down while I was there and by the time i left (approx 9pm) there was 1-2 inches on the roads. It was super slick and I had practically no traction. I ended up sliding sideways into the ditch and hitting a pole at around 10-20 mph. headbang.gif The front got pushed in, hood is bent and who knows what else. I was actually able to drive the car out of the ditch but I had to park it overnight. Pictures of the carnage will come tomorrow when I go get the car. Man this sucks.
Sleepin
Man that sucks! I hope you can fix it! sad.gif
championgt1
sad.gif Bummer!
steveherman
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
McMark
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
dlee6204
Cell phone pics. I actually hit the pole at an angle so it hit the bumper and then the bumperette caught on the pole swung the back of the car around. It might not look that bad from the pictures but it crumpled the front end a bit.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The inner wheel well is crumpled in a little bit from the impact on that side.
Click to view attachment

On the replacement list so far: bumper, bumper top pad, bumperette, foglight grill, headlight stuff, hood, front valence. This of course after I get the front end straighten out. I will look into more this afternoon and see if i can't more wrong.
jsayre914
sad.gif Sorry that happend bro, but after being a part of this community, you could probably get all the parts you need and be up in running in a couple of weeks beerchug.gif

glad you are ok
McMark
Sucks but fixable. sad.gif
rick 918-S
I effin hate snow! mad.gif Even more now after seein this! dry.gif Ya, I know where I live.. screwy.gif
nsr-jamie
Sorry that happened to you but it looks very fixable, at least you were not injured, you need to be careful when driving in snow.
TheCabinetmaker
Write 100 times on the blackboard, "I will never drive my 914 in the snow".

Bummer man, Sounds like you have the attitude and a plan. Good luck.
pcar916
Dang,
Good luck with the repair and associated scope-creep!
PanelBilly
Wish you were closer. I'd love to help....might take me a few years to finish it. Have you thought about a total restoration?
jmill
Very fixable. Most of that you can massage out. Check out my progress thread. It might give you some ideas on how to fix yours. Its your damage x's 10 on the opposite side but similar none the less.
rick 918-S
I just bought a car I think is hit worse than yours. (haven't really seen it yet unsure.gif )

You may need to have a pro do your pull to get the head light bucket or pocket set back the the correct place unless you have experience with that. Do yourself a favor and don't just take after it with a BFH smash.gif until you consult with a good chassis guy. Around here that pull would likely cost 200.00 to 350.00 but you wouldn't have a bunch of stretched and smashed panels with ugly mallet makes in them.
hi4head
Doug,
Sorry to read about this latest tragedy.
Let me know if you need a hand.
Chris
dlee6204
Alright here are some better pictures of the damage.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The area under the shelf is pushed in

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The hood completely closed.

Click to view attachment
dlee6204
I measured from the inner corner of the headlight box to the where the cowl meets the fender and it is pushed in about a half an inch compared to a straight car un-hit car. I still want to see how much the a-arm mount moved if it did.
Katmanken
Damage from snowfall doesn't surprise me after having lived in Raleigh for a number of years.

Snow fall removal is nonexistant in NC. It snows, take the dayS (plural) off. Drive on the road at a speed that is safe for conditions, and somebody will repeatedly lunge at yer ass because they feel you are driving too slow.

After they pass you, I guarantee they are in the ditch a half a mile down the road.

My favorite was this turn into work- kinda banked like the monza wall. Saw a number of people go into the turn a little too slow, and they dropped like a stone into the turn and into the inner ditch... Oh yeah, there was that one guy who hit the gas and launched himself off the top of the wall and into oncoming traffic going the other way....

Had a lot of damage to one of my cars when somebody decided they didn't need a snowbrush to clean off their rear window or mirrors. They lunged (from the left lane) to the right lane, knocked me off the road, and kept on going
My lesson? I only drive disposable cars in NC in snowy weather.

Best of luck. That's not going to be cheap to fix.
dlee6204
Yeah I can't stand other driver's when it snows here . Typically I am perfectly fine and enjoy driving in the snow. I even went to school in Michigan for a while and drove fine on the roads. My DD is 4wd and I've never had trouble or even an accident but Friday was just a screwed up night for me. It's just one of those of those times you shake your head and wish never happened.
Katmanken
Been there, done that.

Been hit by deviant drivers a number of times. Each time, I realize that leaving 10 seconds earlier or later would have moved me out of the "target" zone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.