Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stealthy roll bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
db9146
I am looking for ways to strengthen the structure of the car while having it remain very easy to get into and out of - no full or partial roll cage as you typically see them. So what about...

1) a roll bar that fits in underneath the "basket handle" and goes down through the back firewall at an angle and ties into the longitudinals in the lower corners of the hell hole

2) a second hoop that goes from long to long under the dash to strengthen that area and better support the cowl

3) Engman reinforcements for the longs

4) additional formed pieces at the base of the windshield frame

5) maybe some triangulation of the rear shock mount area as well as camber boxes for the front to support the coil-over suspension front and rear

Has anyone ever done a roll bar that tucks in under the basket handle?
detoxcowboy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...5fCarsQ5fTrucks

Check this link it may give some Ideas, Trunks too..
Click to view attachment
\
detoxcowboy
Stealthy Roll Bar under Basket Handle..
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(db9146 @ Feb 13 2010, 09:41 AM) *

I am looking for ways to strengthen the structure of the car while having it remain very easy to get into and out of - no full or partial roll cage as you typically see them. So what about...

1) a roll bar that fits in underneath the "basket handle" and goes down through the back firewall at an angle and ties into the longitudinals in the lower corners of the hell hole

2) a second hoop that goes from long to long under the dash to strengthen that area and better support the cowl

3) Engman reinforcements for the longs

4) additional formed pieces at the base of the windshield frame

5) maybe some triangulation of the rear shock mount area as well as camber boxes for the front to support the coil-over suspension front and rear

Has anyone ever done a roll bar that tucks in under the basket handle?

what are you trying to do?
Start with putting in the Engman kit first.
See whatmore you need, if anything.

Rich
db9146
Big -6, flared conversion used for street and DEs. So I'm not wanting or needing to go overboard (too much) but chassis stiffness is good.
pcar916
Apologizing in advance for anything already known. piratenanner.gif Some quick thoughts.

In general you have either the body kit or a cage. As installing both weighs too much (unless you don't mind that) one or the other is best. That said...

The kit stiffens and will be out of the way, and maintain the stock look. But it won't triangulate the suspension points to a central structure, which will greatly benefit your handling. It does stiffen about the long axis, but doesn't help with body twist as much as a cage does.

If your core isn't stiff, it's part of the suspension and hard to predict... and it changes over time as the body becomes more flexible. With a solid core, as you tune your handling with springs, shocks, anti-sway bars, bushings, etc.

This decreases the body flex as one of your suspension variables. BIG in my book. Even if you go with a cage, stiffening the rear suspension points (ie the swing-arm pivot points) is still a good idea, above and beyond the cage itself.

It really depends on your future plans. If this car will gradually become a track machine I'd opt for the cage early. Just design it as unobtrusively as possible to get in and out of the car.

Race rubber seriously increases the stress and strain loads on your car. If you run it in your DE's and do a lot of them, one of these stiffening systems is essential unless you want to be fixing lots of cracks before you get to the main event.

Good luck. This is a big decision, but what a great one to have to make!
McMark
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 13 2010, 06:50 AM) *

Whoa, whoa, whoa... this ain't no bitch basket! mad.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 15 2010, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 13 2010, 06:50 AM) *

Whoa, whoa, whoa... this ain't no bitch basket! mad.gif

I got the term from the orginal post on this thread "basket handle", I guess if it is refered to as a "basket handle" it would need a roll bar to protect the basket's contents..
sean_v8_914
connecting the suspension pick-ups is over kill reserved for full tilt boogie race machines. I know dozens of guys with dual use 914s that have run them on tracks for decades without all this extra weight. engman long kit and you will feel it as soon as you transition to the street.
Let it flex a bit unless you go full tilt
Katmanken
It can't be "stealthy" unless it's dull black and absorbs microwaves.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.