Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Control Lighting Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flat4tom
Hello all,

I've searched and can't seem to find an answer so thought I'd ask...

Working on my dash heater controls. The fan was not working. Pulled my console out so I could get to the controls from under the dash. Got the fan working - dirty slide contacts.

However, the blue fan on light is not working. Replaced the bulb with a new one, still not working. Anyone know what causes the fan light to come on? Any contact I can clean somewhere?

Also, I did read a post once about someone who connected up their heater lever on the floor to the red light on the dash heater control. It would turn the light on when the rear fan came on. Thought that was a cool idea. I cannot find that thread anymore confused24.gif - anyone know where it is? I guess my 'search' skills need some improvement...

Thanks for any info. I'd like to put my console back together today and take the car for it's first spin around the block since bringing it home! driving.gif

Thanks!
Tom
flat4tom
icon_bump.gif

...anyone...Bueller.....
914werke
Im interested in this too, there are four locations for bulbs/illumination but none appear to be "triggered" ?
Gudhjem
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 14 2010, 10:22 PM) *

Im interested in this too, there are four locations for bulbs/illumination but none appear to be "triggered" ?

The blower motor control contact points act as ground for the fresh air blower motor (3 speeds = 3 contacts), and for the blower motor indicator light (the blue one on the heater control). There is a separate connector for the grounding of the indicator light that is in contact (grounded) when any one of the 3 different speed connectors are in contact. The wear plate for it is on the same plate right next to the blower motor contacts, just to the drivers side. You can see it through the ashtray opening.

There are 2 lights on the heater control activated with the dash lights - one lower left and one lower right (at least on a '73). The red light on the left is not wired by default (on a '73 anyway), but there is a socket for a bulb. You can wire the bulb to either the lead for the dash-activated lights (if you want it to work only when the lights are on) or otherwise to the cigarette hot lead or your stereo hot lead, and then run the ground for the bulb to the heater control level between the seats. I'm pretty sure the heater control lever already acts as the ground for the heater blower motor, so it should be easy enough to hook up another wire.
dlee6204
Also, I did read a post once about someone who connected up their heater lever on the floor to the red light on the dash heater control. It would turn the light on when the rear fan came on. Thought that was a cool idea. I cannot find that thread anymore - anyone know where it is? I guess my 'search' skills need some improvement...

I believe this is the thread you are talking about. (post 13)
Heater Controls

tradisrad
I just got a PM on the "other" site about this over the weekend.

I will add that when I wired this for my "green" car I used two factory lights (not the LEDs like in the link). Once I got the car running and tested the heater lever the light came on like it I wired it to, but when I shut off the switch the fan cycled on one more time. I figured I was getting some stray current coming fomr somewhere. I never figured out where the stray current was coming from and I installed the LED on the red side. I have no more issues with the fan coming on when I shut it off.
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif Here is one for the lighting that I found out on accident.. the white up and down arrows glow in the dark. I was working on my car at night w/ a flash light and accidently found that out.. whooooopie drunk.gif
tradisrad
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 15 2010, 10:43 AM) *

drunk.gif Here is one for the lighting that I found out on accident.. the white up and down arrows glow in the dark. I was working on my car at night w/ a flash light and accidently found that out.. whooooopie drunk.gif

I have heard that they glow in the dark, but I've never seen mine glow.
flat4tom
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Feb 15 2010, 06:07 AM) *

Also, I did read a post once about someone who connected up their heater lever on the floor to the red light on the dash heater control. It would turn the light on when the rear fan came on. Thought that was a cool idea. I cannot find that thread anymore - anyone know where it is? I guess my 'search' skills need some improvement...

I believe this is the thread you are talking about. (post 13)
Heater Controls

Yep, that was it.

I worked on it yesterday and discovered what Gudhjem said. It is the innermost wiper on the fan control leaver. My contact was lifting up when it was slid over so I put a little bend back into it with a pair of needle nosed pliers and it works for the most part - the light is on, but it is really dim.

I understand the red light wiring as well now. I've since put the control levers back together as I have bigger fish to fry at the moment getting the engine to run well, but I will revisit this again at some point. I also need to locate a light socket and where to get the LEDs that tradisrad spoke about.

Thanks for the help guys!
Regards,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.