Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 2.0 - Up and Running and Thanks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
Here is the story of my car...

I picked it up as an EBay listing and discovered the owner was just down the road from me. I called him up and inspected the car. He was frustrated trying to get it running as he had taken it to a VW shop and the mechanic swapped all bus parts in for the FI, wrong MPS, mismatched injectors, etc. Then charged him and wanted 1K to port it to carbs.

It had some rust, but the Hell hole was just the top and the rust in the trunks could be easily handled. The pans and rockers are prefect, so I bought it.

My mistake was the engine inspection, it was weak. I did manage to get it running, albeit poorly and weak on power. I then set about getting all the right parts which I collected over last summer.

I then bought a re-built 2.0 engine (done to the Euro spec's), redid my tranny at the Dr. Evil PNW clinic and put everything together back in Nov. I bought a SS Borla Exhaust and that is real nice. I also did the entire harness myself and tested it.

Then I dropped the engine and fixed the hell-hole, painted it up and put everything back together.

Here it is up and running!

Video or my 2.0 Running like a Dream!

Of course I owe a lot of thanks to everyone here. Dr. Evil and all the PNW guys, PBanders for the awesome 2.0 DJet site. All of you who welded a hell-hole and saved this unique little cars.

Cheers,
Larouex
76-914
piratenanner.gif Most Excellant. aktion035.gif Did you get that 914 grin off your face, yet. No? Me either. Great job. beerchug.gif Now go get some speeding tickets. These things don't like going the speed limit. lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Congrats Larry!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Larouex @ Feb 13 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Here is the story of my car...

I picked it up as an EBay listing and discovered the owner was just down the road from me. I called him up and inspected the car. He was frustrated trying to get it running as he had taken it to a VW shop and the mechanic swapped all bus parts in for the FI, wrong MPS, mismatched injectors, etc. Then charged him and wanted 1K to port it to carbs.

It had some rust, but the Hell hole was just the top and the rust in the trunks could be easily handled. The pans and rockers are prefect, so I bought it.

My mistake was the engine inspection, it was weak. I did manage to get it running, albeit poorly and weak on power. I then set about getting all the right parts which I collected over last summer.

I then bought a re-built 2.0 engine (done to the Euro spec's), redid my tranny at the Dr. Evil PNW clinic and put everything together back in Nov. I bought a SS Borla Exhaust and that is real nice. I also did the entire harness myself and tested it.

Then I dropped the engine and fixed the hell-hole, painted it up and put everything back together.

Here it is up and running!

Video or my 2.0 Running like a Dream!

Of course I owe a lot of thanks to everyone here. Dr. Evil and all the PNW guys, PBanders for the awesome 2.0 DJet site. All of you who welded a hell-hole and saved this unique little cars.

Cheers,
Larouex

I love the way it sounds! Sweet! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Man Larry! That engine and Borla sounds tuff!
saigon71
beerchug.gif That engine sounds sweet!

I bought mine off e-bay under similar circumstances last year. My thoughts on the engine were right, but the car is rustier than I thought.

I agree, this site and the Andrews site are a wealth of info and extreemly helpful.

Keep up the good work.

Bob
jonferns
Sounds great Larry! Car looks clean as well! Can you post up some pics?
Cairo94507
Very nice work; sounds and looks good. BTW, are your bumper tits on wrong? I think they need to swap sides if I remember my '73 2.0 correctly. Just a thought.
Larouex
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 13 2010, 08:29 PM) *

Very nice work; sounds and looks good. BTW, are your bumper tits on wrong? I think they need to swap sides if I remember my '73 2.0 correctly. Just a thought.

Even if the bumper tits are wrong, they are coming off as I have newly restored 72 Chromes going on. I had them redone in Dec, oh man they are sweet.
Dr Evil
Hows the tranz doing? You did it smile.gif
Larouex
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 13 2010, 10:22 PM) *

Hows the tranz doing? You did it smile.gif

So much better that what was there. I have a little difficulty sliding into first when I am stopped. I often need to let the clutch out and then slide it in.

Larouex
Dr Evil
Newer synchro bands are stiff. This will wane over time. Unless you mean it is grinding, in which case you need to tighten your clutch cable and see if that helps. It should not be grinding.
Larouex
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 14 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Newer synchro bands are stiff. This will wane over time. Unless you mean it is grinding, in which case you need to tighten your clutch cable and see if that helps. It should not be grinding.

No grinding, just newness then, Thanks man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.