Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Filter Location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I'm re-doing the fuel lines since the engine is out & getting rid of the plastic lines that run to the engine bay from the fuel pump area. Is there a reason for the fuel filter being under there where gravity will make the gas run down yer arm into yer pits when changing it? rolleyes.gif I was thinking of placing the filter in the engine bay near the MPS for easier access. Is it too hot it there for a fuel filter?

........b
Aaron Cox
i have one in front of fuel pum and one in front of carbs
Dave_Darling
The filter goes between the tank and the pump. Why? To keep Bad Stuff out of the pump. Have you priced a replacement pump lately?

If you want to route the fuel lines up into the engine bay, then back down to the pump, then up to the engine, that's cool. But you'll still wind up spilling some gas, because the fuel level inside the tank will often enough be above the level of the filter. Any time that happens, you'll get fuel coming out of the lines when you detach them from the filter. (And guess where it goes if the filter is up on the top side of the engine?)

--DD
Demick
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 25 2004, 03:50 PM)
If you want to route the fuel lines up into the engine bay, then back down to the pump, then up to the engine, that's cool.

But fuel is basically gravity fed from the tank to the fuel pump. If you take the lines up high for the filter, you will probably have fuel starvation problems. The fuel pump cannot generate a vacuum and pull the fuel through if any air gets in the lines.

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.