Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 1 build ?'s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I'm putting together an 1835 I had in my Baja years ago, before I knew what I was doing. I originally used Weber progressive which in hindsight I realize was the main reason I melted number 3.......twice dry.gif The case is a VW f.i. case, lign bored by one of the best around here, heads WERE stock, That's where my ? comes in. I know when I used to be into VW's hardcore the 041's were the things for a mild streeter. Now with the advacements of the last 15 years what is recommended ? 044's? How about carbs ? 40 IDF's ?

I'm well aware of the issues with 92's but I already have 2 1/2 sets of near new ones so that is what I will be using. dry.gif

What I have for it :

c.w. 69 mm crank
92mm Mahles
Engle 120 cam
balanced stock rods ( unless someone has something nicer for a good price biggrin.gif )
full flow
high flow pump
sump
extractor from a Euro high tuck system, will probably run a stinger on it

Heads ???
Carbs ?????
other suggestions ??????
RJMII
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 14 2010, 01:58 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I'm putting together an 1835 I had in my Baja years ago, before I knew what I was doing. I originally used Weber progressive which in hindsight I realize was the main reason I melted number 3.......twice dry.gif The case is a VW f.i. case, lign bored by one of the best around here, heads WERE stock, That's where my ? comes in. I know when I used to be into VW's hardcore the 041's were the things for a mild streeter. Now with the advacements of the last 15 years what is recommended ? 044's? How about carbs ? 40 IDF's ?

[/quote]
I'll sell you an "n". =o)
poke.gif
stirthepot.gif
I'm interested in your build.
popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
owned.gif
pete-stevers
i would like to build up an engine for the single cab
but i need to find some dollars...
and it needs so much body work
patina is such a dirty word in my world
Dr Evil
What is this going into, Scotty?
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 14 2010, 04:07 PM) *

What is this going into, Scotty?

356 shades.gif Just thinking ahead. I finished up the engine for the Puma and have the bug ( pun intended ) to get back into the VW engine world again. I really kind of miss it. I'm working on an AMAZINGLY good potential deal for the bus motor. smile.gif My friend with the P-shop called me last week about an older guy he met that has several 3.0 SC motors and trannies. shades.gif shades.gif aktion035.gif
Mark Henry
Lose the 92's unless you get the 94mm register jugs, get the 90.5mm jugs and slugs.

If you want heat I'd use ported and polished stock valve heads, still will pull like a truck. Engle W120 may be a bit much, I love the W110 my favorite cam for the street.
Keep CR to around 8:1 for street.

You don't need "better" than the stock rods, I've built a 200+hp turbo with stock rods. If you plan on drag racing burnouts then maybe...
041's are crap, if you can find old stock 040 great if not than the CB heads are OK, just don't get the heads with giant ports, small ports are better for a street car..

Dual 40IDF unless you can source a good set of Gene Berg 42mm specials, weber DCNF's (The ultimate Type 1 street cruiser carbs but no good for AX and racing). Dell's are OK but parts can be a pain and webers are plentiful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.