Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone familiar with a Mercedes 450SL (1979)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nomore9one4
Looking at a very nice(looking) 1979 Mercedes 450SL. Anything to look for or stay away from all together? The car has about 130,000 on the odometer.I already know it does need brakes and hoses. What says you??? Thanks in advance pray.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Oink. If it's from around your area, it's rusty. Everywhere. While replacement sheetmetal is relatively available, costs of replacement are apt to be high. Exhaust components are pricey, and usually hosed. The vacuum system that runs nearly everything is complex and leak prone. The CIS system is prone to vacuum leaks, and the components are a bit pricey and time consuming to replace. It's probably due for an alternator and possibly a PS pump and steering box. The front end and subframe will need to be rebushed and the steering linkage is probably shot. They're heavy and they don't handle like a sports car because they AREN'T a sports car. I'm just thankful there aren't very many around here anymore, because I really don't like working on them.

The Cap'n
lotus_65
I think that's Ordell Robbie's bomb ride in Tarentino's Jackie Brown, right?
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Oink. If it's from around your area, it's rusty. Everywhere. While replacement sheetmetal is relatively available, costs of replacement are apt to be high. Exhaust components are pricey, and usually hosed. The vacuum system that runs nearly everything is complex and leak prone. The CIS system is prone to vacuum leaks, and the components are a bit pricey and time consuming to replace. It's probably due for an alternator and possibly a PS pump and steering box. The front end and subframe will need to be rebushed and the steering linkage is probably shot. They're heavy and they don't handle like a sports car because they AREN'T a sports car. I'm just thankful there aren't very many around here anymore, because I really don't like working on them.

The Cap'n

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Cap'n. I believe I will pass on this one.
crash914
listen to the Cap'n... I had a '73 450 slc.

great car, heavy with 250k miles...did nothing to it. ran like a raped ape, pullled to a 6k redline like no tomorrow...
then fell apart from the rust bug.

D-jet all the way and my wife hated it. thought it was a "mans" car....ie. steering was too heavy and seats too low.

I did enjoy it though....
SirAndy
I had a (lowly rolleyes.gif ) '76 280SE ...
The only thing i had to replace was a broken hardy-disk. 15 minute job.

Loved that car. smilie_pokal.gif
driving.gif Andy
Kargeek
Grandma's SL an '80 450 with 47,000 origional miles... is sitting in my garage. it's "A Tank" but what a time warp to drive. I even have the top hoist hanging from the rafters. 4.5 liters and 165 Horsepower- Living large in the 80's!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.