Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: highbeam switch? difficult?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
I think i need to replace the switch. Anyone have any advice on this? My high beams are stuck on, and when I pull the blinker lever...no click. What part likely failed?
Thanks, Craig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0CUlLecxbo
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 16 2010, 06:53 PM) *

I think i need to replace the switch. Anyone have any advice on this? My high beams are stuck on, and when I pull the blinker lever...no click. What part likely failed?
Thanks, Craig

relay? i would suspect the relay as that is where the click sound comes from..
Mike Bellis
a $5 Saab headlight relay will work unless you want to pay $50 for a 914 relay.
craig3x
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 16 2010, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 16 2010, 06:53 PM) *

Thanks, Craig

relay? i would suspect the relay as that is where the click sound comes from..

Awesome. thanks! Now can someone point me to the relay location?
detoxcowboy
fuse box plate under dash, take out the 2 screws and it comes down, orginal high/low relay is a silver cube to the left mounted upside down.. it may be black plastic cube still mounted upside down.. with wires going to and from it yellow and whitwires ect. ect.. usually when the fail you can't click lock into high beam but fail is fail.
craig3x
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 16 2010, 08:04 PM) *

fuse box plate under dash, take out the 2 screws and it comes down, orginal high/low relay is a silver cube to the left mounted upside down.. it may be black plastic cube still mounted upside down.. with wires going to and from it yellow and whitwires ect. ect.. usually when the fail you can't click lock into high beam but fail is fail.

hmmm, well mine is stuck on and won't click back to low. could this still be my problem? anyone have a picture of it's mounting location?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 12:11 AM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 16 2010, 08:04 PM) *

hmmm, well mine is stuck on and won't click back to low. could this still be my problem? anyone have a picture of it's mounting location?

I would bet the relay is faulty, sorry for the extra input as that confused the matter, easy as replacing a fuse, drop the fuse box 2 screws you cannot miss it or mistake it.. only one mounted upside down...
craig3x
ok great....now can anyone sell me one...for a good price?
pbanders
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 04:25 PM) *

Before you get a new one, try opening up yours and seeing if you can clean it up and get it functioning again. They're often salvageable. Mine's going on 40 years! smile.gif
craig3x
QUOTE(pbanders @ Feb 17 2010, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 04:25 PM) *

Before you get a new one, try opening up yours and seeing if you can clean it up and get it functioning again. They're often salvageable. Mine's going on 40 years! smile.gif

ok, so i dropped the fuse panel and found it. The relay DOES click when i pull the switch, but it does not change from low to high. Could this still be my problem? even though I am getting the click?
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 03:25 PM) *

I checked 4 u last night at pelican parts, they are using a non $50 brand now.. $17.72 for new otr put a WTB in the classidieds here other forum, i am certain you will get some attention..
craig3x
So if it still clicks, can it still be the problem? Can't switch off my highbeams
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 05:28 PM) *

So if it still clicks, can it still be the problem? Can't switch off my highbeams

yes.. it is the high beam low beam relay / switch. you switch on your stalk signals the relay to switch back and forth your stuck more than likely it is your relay, your relay would also be the cheapest and simplest solution.. good place to start.. that is all from me, I feel like I am lecturing you and I do not mean too. excuse me please..
craig3x
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 17 2010, 05:41 PM) *

QUOTE(craig3x @ Feb 17 2010, 05:28 PM) *

yes.. it is the high beam low beam relay / switch. you switch on your stalk signals the relay to switch back and forth your stuck more than likely it is your relay, your relay would also be the cheapest and simplest solution.. good place to start.. that is all from me, I feel like I am lecturing you and I do not mean too. excuse me please..

don't feel that way at all. electrical systems are very foreign to me. I appreciate the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.