Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6freak
Hello ...so got the trailing arms off! old bearings just sorta fell out ..well it kinda fell out balls went everywhere ..it was the one i suspected was bad ! i could hear it howl on left turns ...anywho the new ones have part #`s on one side and a slight step on same side...so I guess my ? is there an inside and out side to these bearings...book show nothing smile.gif

Thanks Mike

Hub came out easy it was the bearing race stuck on the hub that was a real MF
underthetire
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 16 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Hello ...so got the trailing arms off! old bearings just sorta fell out ..well it kinda fell out balls went everywhere ..it was the one i suspected was bad ! i could hear it howl on left turns ...anywho the new ones have part #`s on one side and a slight step on same side...so I guess my ? is there an inside and out side to these bearings...book show nothing smile.gif

Thanks Mike

Hub came out easy it was the bearing race stuck on the hub that was a real MF

Think I used the step to help start the bearing. Angular contact bearing, so don't think it matters what direction. Pre load is set in the bearing design.
McMark
Put the bearing in the freezer. Just before you install the bearing lightly grease the bore and heat it with a propane torch. The temp difference will let the bearing slide right in with no fuss, and the grease will help it come back out sometime in the future.
6freak
Bearing are in the freezer as we speak,or type ...and i will start the step end of the bearing first ...then maybe freeze the hub before trying to put it back on? the ends of the hub that go through the bearing cleaned up real nice .....sorta looked like the old bearing spun in the trailing arm and the inner race was locked on the hub ,Is that possible? ...like I said the bearing kinda fell apart when i took the hub out of the trailing arm and the race was stuck bad to the hub .I hope it all go`s back together good and the other side is smother ...first time always a learning process,,,thanks for the good advice

Mike
underthetire
Mine did the same thing. I pulled mine for the 5 lug conversion. The outside race will almost always come apart, since it preloads the other direction. You can heat the bearings a little to upon putting the stubs back in. Just stay under 140 deg with the heat, since it can cause damage to the grease above that, depending on what type of grease they used.
jaxdream
Do the usual freezer things , lube up bearing slightly, when you draw the hub into the bearing , make sure that the presure on the back of the bearing ( where the axle stub and cv side ) is on the inner race and not the shield , remember that you are getting the hub to pull into the race part of the bearing where the bearings get squished for the load of the hub & stub.
My $.02......

Jack / Jaxdream
6freak
I`ll give it a try ...after jury duty tomorrow ...which is a waste of my time ..i cant attend a jury because my brothers a cop! wish they would just ask that when i walked in the door....anywho smile.gif ...Thanks

Eric_Shea
I'll try to have my bearing installation video done tomorrow. I just finished the race/hub video and I have the bearing removal and the bearing installation video's in the can. Just need to voice over them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLWiKXRXb8...;feature=autofb
6freak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 16 2010, 09:48 PM) *

I'll try to have my bearing installation video done tomorrow. I just finished the race/hub video and I have the bearing removal and the bearing installation video's in the can. Just need to voice over them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLWiKXRXb8...;feature=autofb

Thats right on the money Eric! exactly what i had to do today ......Cant wait to see the install side of the program
Thanks
sean_v8_914
thanks for making that video.
heat is your friend
6freak
cant wait to see the install video smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Started a thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103949
6freak
right side arm is ready to go back in the car ,less the hub that will be tomorrow(gotta make that tool) ,drilled and tapped zirks installed smile.gif just waiting for some new lube,seals and a few CV bolts ...so i dropped the left side out ,PITA with the oil lines and the headers in the way and only two hands (oh brother where art thou) but i managed with a few expletives headbang.gif .....BUT what i really noticed was there was no shim!
under that side ,just the shim plate .I looked all over the garage thinking it may have slid across the floor after being kicked or something ,its no where to be found ...? is do i really need it .It shows it in the book but is it a must ..thanks for all your help all most done

Mike

P.S its not stuck to the bottom of the car or the piece that bolts to the car
6freak
Whats the shim for anyway ? I know alignment !but maybe i was out on purpose . ..should i put in back with no shim??.....they almost seem as wear plate ??

any thoughts on this would be nice ..thanks
Eric_Shea
Camber adjustment. It may not have needed it but, get some spares and have them ready for when you go to get the car re-aligned (which you will now need to to).

They come in various sizes.

http://engmanparts.com/alignshims.php
6freak
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2010, 07:28 AM) *

Camber adjustment. It may not have needed it but, get some spares and have them ready for when you go to get the car re-aligned (which you will now need to to).

They come in various sizes.

http://engmanparts.com/alignshims.php

will do....Did you ship the parts ..trying to get a time line on when i can schedule the alignment and corner balance .Trying to make the spring breakout at Portland raceway on March-12-13..Thanks Eric

Mike
Eric_Shea
Yes. They'll be there Monday or Tuesday. I threw in a few extras (like Priority shipping and some plated bits). wink.gif
6freak
The Six is back on the tires! After three weeks of hard work ....test drive tomorrow piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
No shims at all means the most possible negative camber you can get.

Without any shims, your rear wheel should have a very visible angle towards the inside of the car, if not your trailing arms are bent!

popcorn[1].gif Andy
6freak
if there tilted in its not very noticeable....setting a time to have 4 wheel alignment done and corner balance .but i wanna drive it first just to make sure i put it all back togather correctly and every thing is smooth....cant wait to try out the new suspention driving.gif
6freak
Oh boy its smooth....and no funny noise`s ITS AWESOME .. beerchug.gif to all the people that lent a hand one way or another I learned alot.. Thanks

Mike C flag.gif
6freak
QUOTE(6freak @ Mar 1 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Oh boy its smooth....and no funny noise`s ITS AWESOME .. beerchug.gif to all the people that lent a hand one way or another I learned alot.. Thanks

Mike C flag.gif

got the alignment and corner balance done today ...Boy it sure rides nice really soaks up the bumps for sure ..cant wait tell the next weekend AX and give it a real road test and a work out ...2.2 motor and side shift tranny next in line .mite have to wait tell next winter ,will see ...thanks again to all that helped

Mike C flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.