Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump change - will it fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sailor
Will a late model fuel pump (75-76) fit in the stock location and bracket on a '74?
tod914
QUOTE(Sailor @ Feb 16 2010, 11:52 PM) *

Will a late model fuel pump (75-76) fit in the stock location and bracket on a '74?

I just went through this. With some modifications it can. I found an nos early pump so didnt proceed with it. I have a brand new late model bosch pump, with all the mounting hardware including extensions and rubber mounts which you'll need, filters, and 12mm hose if your interested. Be happy to sketch what I was planning to do if you already have the parts. I'll post some shots tomorrow for you on how I did the mounting bracket set up.
Sailor
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 16 2010, 08:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Sailor @ Feb 16 2010, 11:52 PM) *

I just went through this. With some modifications it can. I found an nos early pump so didnt proceed with it. I have a brand new late model bosch pump, with all the mounting hardware including extensions and rubber mounts which you'll need, filters, and 12mm hose if your interested. Be happy to sketch what I was planning to do if you already have the parts. I'll post some shots tomorrow for you on how I did the mounting bracket set up.

I haven't purchased any parts yet. Since the late model pumps appear to be more readily available I was trying to determine if it was a simple swap or if it is better to track down an older style pump.
tod914
With all the parts in hand it's an easy swap. Only thing you'll have to do is change the leeds on the end of wire for the new pump. For me tracking down everything was the time consuming part. I'll show you a mock up of it tomorrow. Should help you make your decission one way or another. What you don't want to do it mount a later style pump in the front trunk area. Major plumbing issues. A few guys have mounted the later style on the fire wall area of the car in the engine bay with good success.
Dave_Darling
Getting the hoses to fit correctly can be a challenge. The return one is the easiest; just omit the "Y" and the line from the pump to the "Y". The fuel feed fitting on the pump is a different diameter than any of the ones on the early pump, so you will need to do some work to get the hoses to fit and not leak. I think you'll need to figure out the fuel filter and its fittings as well...

--DD
tod914
Feed line from fire wall to filter requires step hose. Filter to 75 pump requires 12mm hose. pump to feed into engine bay 7mm. 2 return lines hooked together with 7mm. Works fine in the engine area.
tod914
Hey guys, here's the shots as promised. Keep in mind I did not hook up all the lines. This is just to show how it can be mounted. The feed line from the pump to engine bay will require it to be looped or the plastic line clipped for a straight run.
If you need a parts list let me know. I used the oem mounts on top, then 1" X 1" x 6mm mounts on the bracket to pump. Hope this is helpfull. Fuel filter will also have to be secured lower as seen. Mounts very securely when tightened. Seems to be enough clearance for everthing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sailor
Thanks for insights and photos. While the swap appears functional it is not as clean as I would like. Any good sources for remanufactured old style pumps?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.